LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-06-03, 10:46pm
Hat or Cake?

Default Can anyone provide info on this piece?

I belong to another forum on (mostly vintage) costume jewelry. Someone posted this piece and everyone is stumped as to what it's made of and who might be the designer/artist.

The comments so far include comments that it's "probably made of Pyrex" and that it might have been made by a woman in California. The owner states that it is heavy glass and that there is liquid inside the glass that makes the blue colour shift as the beads are moved. (I'm quoting.)

Someone added that "people in the glass community are pretty tight" and someone there might know.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Beth
Old 2016-06-04, 11:43am
Back to 👊 1

That piece is certainly intriguing! I want to reach through the screen to pick it up and have a closer look.

I have no help for ya, unfortunately.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Don't make me cranky, I WILL "chuck a tanty!" a la PerfectDeb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2016-06-04, 11:55am
Hat or Cake?

Thanks for looking, Gayle.
Beth
Old 2016-06-04, 5:40pm
Artistically Absorbed

If there IS liquid inside I would go with lucite... some of the older Lucite can look like glass but that wouldn't make them heavy so I don't know?

Believe in Yourself and Anything is Possible!
SRA Artist A64

Old 2016-06-05, 10:45am
Borovangelist

You could do it with glass. Make a hollow form, close off all but a pinhole.

Anneal, fill with a syringe, dab of hxtal over the hole, bada boom, there ya go.

|
|
Old 2016-06-05, 8:01pm
picking Job's Tears

I have seen boro with water in it, it may even have been closed off with glass, but I don't know that, so I'm with Tom here.
-
-
-

Palms Etc. tropical seeds and cuttings:

HotHead on bulk propane and a Glasshive kiln
Old 2016-06-06, 10:07am
ManBearPig

I'm not 100% convinced that there is liquid in it. I'm betting it's the way the light is refracting through the clear. I've made pieces that do the same thing. It may have liquid in it, but it doesn't look like it from that photo.

Old 2016-06-06, 12:04pm
Tweedle Dumb

If the base glass is a reduction glass, it can give the effect of liquid. The way that clear glass is shaped will also give a watery appearance, especially on reduction glass.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2016-06-06, 12:06pm
Hat or Cake?

Cosmo, that was my thought, too.
Beth