AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Old 2005-11-23, 3:26pm
used to be Moretti 4REAL!

Question OXYCons-uneven flame, newbie needs help

Thanks for reading, I sure appreciate it!!

I have two Invacare Mobilaire units that I have tied together with a "T" in order to power up a Nortel Minor. My entire set up is BRAND new and today was the first day I have tried to use it.

I have my propane set to about 3 or 4, and the both OxyCons running.

However, when I use the flame, it is very "unstable." Sometimes it holds a nice long flame, and then will shorten up and almost go out. Then there is a "whoosh" sound, and the flame jumps up again.

I left everything ON to troubleshoot - and the output on the Oxycons seems to hold around 4 or 5.

I've spent all day trying to get this to work. I've only made two beads, and it was a challenge since the flame wasn't consistent. I wanted to do this ALL day while the kids were in school and things were quiet. Now I can't work on this again until tomorrow which is Thanksgiving. Boo Hoo!!

IF you have any ideas for me to try, PLEASE post them -- these concentrators have a one year warranty... but I'm sure it is just me and how I have things hooked up. I think that the oxygen is leaking from one of the hoses too..... ARGH --- where it is attached to the "T."

I've tried each one seperately, and neither of them gives a steady stream of oxygen. I had it going for a short time where it was good and consistent, then it fails again.

The studio is in the garage, but I have a heater and a thermometer, and the temp was around sixty degrees all day in there.

THANKS in advance, this is KILLING me, I have wanted to do this for two months, ever since I took a class.......

-Angela
Old 2005-11-23, 9:46pm
אהבה אני ישו

Default My Personal Experience

Hi,

I have a very similar set up to yours. The first thing I would suggest is to turn up your propane pressure to at least 5. I tried to run mine very low like you are and I had a problem with the fluctuating flame. One other suggestion is to set both of your concentrators at no higher than 3.5 lpm. Higher doesn't help. 3.5 will give you a higher volume of oxy than 4-5lpm.

Checking to make sure you connections are tight from time to time is good, too. Mine had come loose from moving the concentrators away from the wall and back over and over.

Also, someone else might chime in on this, but I'm not sure if having your concentrators in a garage is a good idea. They are not designed to be in a damp area or used "outside". From what I understand this will damage them over time. Washing the removable filters frequently would be very important as well.

I hope you get it all figured out. I know how mechanical problems can ruin a good beadmaking day....yuck.

Blessings on you Thanksgiving...

Believer
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Mother
Grandmother
Student
Artist

Wishes the hot flashes she has were only the kind that occur at her torch...

Old 2005-11-24, 6:49am

Thumbs up YAY! Figured it out.....by searching posts here and on WC!!

For anyone who has this same issue, here is the solution:

The propane was set TOO LOW, and that was why the flame was uneven.

After brushing the SNOW off my propane tank, and connecting my hose, I upped the propane to 10 on the regulator, and lit a flame. I used two oxycons set to the lower number (3.5 ish) recommended by Melissa

Then I watched it burn evenly for 10 minutes, with no fluctuation at all.

NOW, I just have to wait until my husband gets up and then I can spend a couple of hours at my torch until we have to go to Thanksgiving dinner.

Oh, and about the lower temperatures and Oxygen Concentrators: I went to the Boston Chapter meeting last Sunday in Worcester. I spoke with a medical equipment fellow there, and asked specifically about oxycons and low temps. He told me that it is fine to leave it out in the garage, even in low temps. BUT, the machine wouldn't turn on at any temp lower than 40 degrees Fahrenheit. So, I have a heater, and a thermometer, and I watch the temp in the garage while I work. He also recommended weekly cleaning of the filter since it is the garage. But, other than that, there were no concerns regarding the "inner workings" of the oxycon.

I hope that helps out somebody with similar questions down the road. I'm glad there are these forums that we can search and find some suggestions to our common issues. Have a great Thanksgiving everyone!!

-Angela

Old 2005-11-24, 7:41am

There is another thread on LE somewhere that has a link to a oxycon company, a couple of things they recommend especially if you have high hummidity is let it run 15 minutes before you lite your torch (yea sure!) also don't turn the concnetrator back on for a couple of hours after you turn it off, lets the moisture settle, that does make a degree of sense, the also said it was actually good for it to leave it running if you were going to be using it again the same day, better than turning it on and off ....

Lynne

www.fireballbeeds.com
Old 2005-11-25, 3:52pm

Thumbs up Lynne, that's right too

I read that same thing -- I can't remember if it was here or on WetCanvas. If you are running the oxycon, you should leave it on rather then turn it on/off/on/off.

What I've done is either just leave the torch on "between beads" or after the flame is out (P-O-O-P method) then just turn the oxy back on at the torch until I'm ready to light it again. Then it's a quick OFF while I do the propane, and back feeding the oxy to the mix after that.

Maybe I will put together a "tutorial" for oxycons too, since I know I am not the only newbie who has tons of questions about these devices.

But first, off to make more wonky beads as I practice practice practice!!

-A