Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2010-11-26, 2:05pm
Borovangelist

Question Beaded Chess set tutorial, sort of

I wound up remaking a beaded chess set that went bad in transit, and in the course of doing so I documented how it's made.

So, part tutorial, part self promotion, part random musings on customer service, have a look at the 4 blog posts below. It's not a tutorial in the traditional sense, but most folks should be able to figure out how to make their own with what's there.

Enjoy!

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
Old 2010-11-26, 3:16pm
Senior Moment

Sorry for the shipping problems, but I think you have it cover this time.
And thanks for all the great info. I just might have to try a set.

Old 2010-11-26, 7:47pm
Never give up

Wow Sorry about that shipping problem. Looks like a beautiful set.
Old 2010-11-26, 9:31pm
Formerly FishBulb

That was great reading! I love your dry humour. I'm sorry about the smashed pieces -- that must be hopelessly frustrating.

Thank you for posting this!

In Soviet Russia, Google searches you.
Old 2010-11-26, 11:22pm
Dynamic Duo

I have found out the hard way that batting is not really good for shipping. Not enough give. Also those priority shoe boxes are lame for protection. I would advise wrapping each piece in bubble wrap, small bubbles. then the set of pieces gathered together and wrapped in a sheet or two of the large bubble wrap. Then peanuts all around this in the normal, almost square/cube priority box, with a minimum of 1 inch of peanuts between the box and your wrapped items. (You can forgo the peanuts and used doubled sheets of the large bubble wrap).Sound excessive, but it does not add to the shipping weight (actually lighter than batting). For the past ten years have been selling and shipping a lot of antique glass and china/porcelain, and have learned these lessons.

Also, for shipping, packages are supposed to be able to withstand a 5 foot drop. You used to be able to pay extra for special handling on orders, but I am not sure if that is still available.

Hope that all doesn't sound to preachy, just sharing my experience in shipping fragile items.

Old 2010-11-26, 11:24pm
Dynamic Duo

AND... forgot to say..... Love the chess set and thanks for sharing how you made it! Ah, some day, to really dive into off mandrel work!

Old 2010-11-26, 11:58pm
Borovangelist

The original shipment went out with the pieces in their wooden case, but each paper wrapped within their little "cells". The case itself was then buried in paper and peanuts.

The way I rolled these for this shipment, the batting gives about 1/2" of padding on each side of the piece, but next time I'll give the bubbles a try. They just seemed to be actually firmer in this case than the batting.

I guess we'll see in 3-5 business days LOL

|
|
Old 2010-11-27, 2:28am
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Your way of explaining and writing is hilarious! Thanks for a laugh and thanks for an awesome tutorial!

Old 2010-11-27, 4:33am

Great tutorial, may try this. Great Blog, love it!!

Old 2010-11-27, 7:34am

Bead chicka. They look like fun to make! Well, at least the first 4 or 5....

Old 2010-11-27, 7:49am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I love your writing style Tom, I always enjoy reading your blog. Thank you for the wonderful look at your glassy world (I'm still staring at my boro trying to convince myself to dive in ).

Old 2010-11-27, 8:30am
Borovangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Muses Glass View Post
Bead chicka. They look like fun to make! Well, at least the first 4 or 5....
Yes, after about 5-6 pieces you start to question your life choices, particularly as the realization sets in that you have another 26 to do LOL

|
|
Old 2010-11-27, 8:37am
put a bird on it

Great blog, Tom, thx for sharing! Very cool chess set, too
Old 2010-11-27, 9:15am

Ooocchh!
I am the customer who won the bid on eBay.
I originally went to the esty site to purchase this set and was told it was on eBay. The only bid on there was $26. I put in $100 bid (what it listed on etsy for when it was on there). Crazy, I know, cause I won it for under $50!
The set arrived with several pieces broken. Tom so graciously and with class said he would replace them. At first, I was floored by his customer service.
After reading the blog, I feel it only right that I send more money to help with any ill feelings that have resulted in this experience.

Old 2010-11-27, 9:16am

PS... Money sent

Old 2010-11-27, 9:44am
Borovangelist

LOL...no ill feelings, stuff breaks, but thanks

The money for this set was going to the AGLF anyway.

Oh, and your replacement parts are on the way LOL

|
|
Old 2010-11-27, 4:35pm
midnight.dreary

So much work!!! It is indeed a labour of love... when i try to make sets i get really bored after only three So it is a real shame that some were broken. Thanks for sharing the process that all of it was, from the making of the pieces to the pain you must've felt finding out that some pieces were broken. I love the wit with which you write.

Old 2010-11-27, 8:06pm
Unique Glass Expressions

Thanks for sharing this really involved project. I loved your humor throughout the story. You took a frustrating situation and made the best of it!

Annmarie Stanesa

Old 2010-11-28, 6:36pm
Favorite color is shiny

Oh my!!! those chess pieces are awesome... I love them!!! Reading the blog made me smile.....you do have a way with words!!!! Thanks for explaining how you made them.
Again, they are just beautiful and congrats birdsonawire for being the proud owner.

I'm back after a long time with a cold torch. Torch Lit.... Life is goooood.....now!

---> LE
Old 2010-11-28, 8:01pm
Heart of Flame

Tom, I really enjoyed reading your blog - not just for the lovely chess set you have shown but for your very enjoyable writing style.

And Dawn, I think that is very nice of you, quite classy, to ADD to your money! Not many would do that, I think, and I am glad that the money goes to a good cause!

Old 2010-11-28, 8:49pm
Borovangelist

Thanks folks

And yes, that really was quite kind, Dawn. Thank you again!! Please let me know when they get there.

|
|
Old 2010-11-29, 9:00am
Never Never Land

What a nice chess set, thank you for sharing how you did it.

If you are a blower of glass, fashion the cup as if it were to be touched by the lips of your beloved.
Old 2010-11-29, 10:32am
Still makin' flowers...

That was great - thank you!

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2010-11-30, 6:17pm
Senior Moment

Quote:
Originally Posted by menty666 View Post
Yes, after about 5-6 pieces you start to question your life choices, particularly as the realization sets in that you have another 26 to do LOL
I think my questions will start after the second piece!