No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-09-14, 7:00pm
needs creative tagline

Default Loren Stump Gob Size?

So I've had a stump sucker for a while now, but I just now finally got a torch big enough to melt gobs. But now its been so long since my class with Loren that I've forgotten what size gobs I need to get! Anyone that can help?

Laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2012-09-14, 8:39pm

The pucks are the 150gram size

Good luck - and dont forget to post some pics of your efforts
Old 2012-09-15, 12:14am
I speak Murrini!

Ya Laura...I wanna see!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2012-09-15, 4:49am

We cut the pucks in half. Used the first half with the StumpSucker to embed the flowers. Then we added the second half to the base.
Joan
Old 2012-09-15, 5:46am

Yep like Len said 150g S8 schott pucks. As Joan said you use one and a half. One whole one to peel and vacuum encase with and the half one to peel and put on the bottom. One thing I did do that worked well with making the paperweights was buying the really huge tweezers for peeling from a herpetological supplier (apparently they are useful for snake feeding LOL)

To be honest I always find the worse bit is getting the buggers off the punty's.... Loren does it so easily (and probably thousands of times of course) than when I do it I roll the buggers over or something stupid half the time. Oh well its all PPP isn't it! ha ha ha

Have fun and make sure you show us your results!

Nat

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-09-15, 9:05am
needs creative tagline

Thanks guys. Yes, I remember it being 1 whole puck for the first encasing and half for the 2nd but I couldn't remember which size and was leaning toward the 300. Glad to hear its the 150. I have the giant tweezers for peeling. I also recently acquired a giant pair of cup shears for furnace work and I'm hoping that will help with the punti removal part as I can't do it with the little shears like he did. I don't have a little torch but I'm hoping maybe DH can use the hot head for the preheating part and I think I can do the setup assembly with my lynx though it won't be quite as easy. I've even got a flat lap for finishing the bottoms after. Its taken me a long time to acquire all the bits but hopefully I'm finally ready!

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2012-09-15, 1:20pm

You are also in luck that HIS Glass has a new deal with Schott and they cost a lot less now than last winter. BTW, there are Stump Suckers that use 1/2 pucks for the top and 1/4 for the bottom, even one that is a size smaller.

Robert
Old 2012-09-15, 3:09pm
needs creative tagline

I've seen the smaller suckers but they just didn't appeal to me as much after trying the "regular" size one. You aren't kidding about the lower prices - part of the reason I was thinking 300 might have been the right size was because the price for that was more in line with what I was expecting.

Facebook -

Old 2012-09-17, 11:08am

I'm kind of cheesed because I bought a box last year when it looked like they were going to be discontinued. Now they're worth about 2/3 of what I paid for them - kind of like playing the stock market. If you need help getting going again drop me a PM.

Robert
Old 2012-09-30, 1:11pm
needs creative tagline

ok, I did one! DH got me a whole tray of gobs for my birthday. Yesterday I got a setup ready to go and today I encased it. Assembling the setup with the lynx did not work at all. However, I have a national 8b with a custom super tiny tip made a few years ago for something else. With very careful adjustment, I was able to use that and not get horrible reduction. Hubby did a good job being my helper for preheating and such today. The gobs are really gorgeous, hardly had to peel anything at all, though I did anyway just to be sure. 2 things are very apparent:

-one of Loren's ring molds sure would be helpful for shaping. My biggest marble mold is too small.
-I really suck at final punti removal. I cannot can the stupid thing off the punti and into the kiln in an upright position. Had to pull it back out twice to clean off all the kiln crap from rolling around on the lens! As a result of all that, it is not quite so round as one might hope...

I will try to post pictures after I get it out and get the bottom lapped nice. Hopefully tomorrow night after work.

Facebook -

Old 2012-10-01, 8:13pm
needs creative tagline

ok, first one. Hubby took a quick shot with the cell phone and didn't wipe the lens off first but you can still pretty much see how it came out.

Facebook -

Old 2012-10-01, 9:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

Nice!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-10-04, 6:49am
And loves it too!

Wow, I'm impressed. I took a Loren Stump class, and I'm not adventurous enough to try a paperweight at home! (Not that I have all the equipment, but anyway)

ETA: I'm interested in seeing more!

~*~
~*~
~*~
~*~

Last edited by Robin Melts Glass; 2012-10-04 at 6:54am.
Old 2012-10-04, 7:04am

Lovely little garden under glass... What is the finished size of the globe?

Andrea