Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials > Free Tutorials

Old 2013-05-20, 8:54pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonharper View Post
When I want to make marbles from bottles I break the bottles up in a paper bag, one bottle at at time. Then I place the shards into a small, 1 - 2 inch, clay flower pot that has several coats of kiln wash on the inside. I then put the flower pots into the kiln and run it up to 1450 for about a half hour then back down to 950 for an hour, then down to 725 for a half an hour then down to 600 and off. This makes a nice puck to form into a marble. I have found that in this case it is much more efficient to make a batch of pucks than it is to try to melt it all at the torch. Electricity is cheaper than oxy. I imagine you could also pull the puck into rods if you wished.
Cool idea! I once saw a recycling tutorial for making glass cane only using the kiln. The guy took a terra cotta pot with a drain hole in the bottom (or maybe he drilled one, I can't remember) and loaded all the broken up bottle scraps into it (I assume from the same source to prevent COE-mixing). He then rigged his kiln so that the heating element was around the terra cotta pot, but that the kiln bottom had a hole in it. The kiln got hot enough to melt the glass and as the glass exited the pot through the hole it cooled off slightly, and created a continuous rod out the bottom of the kiln. It was really cool looking and I've always wanted to try it... just melting regular bottles and using the canes to make beads didn't work out too well for me - the glass shattered around the mandrel hole nine times out of ten...

The different colors y'all've been able to produce in this thread are excellent!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-05-20, 9:41pm
needs creative tagline

well, I asked DH to help make a little movie to show on the tablet in my booth for a show last weekend. I just discovered that he also posted it on youtube, so I guess if you'd like to see me pull down a some bottle chunks into rods and make beads, here you go: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jG2VT...ature=youtu.be

laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2013-05-21, 8:12am

I wanted to share the memory bead I made from the champagne bottle my niece and her hubby drank from at their wedding:

I actually framed it for them with a story:

And I even wrote a photoshop tut for making your text fit your bead.

=============
has anyone tried the Ty Nant bottles???? I have a red one I've been meaning to get to! You can find them at a Bev Mo...

Old 2013-05-22, 2:09pm
Still makin' flowers...

Oooh, that memory bead is just adorable. What a great idea!

And Laura - love that video!

--NEW and Updated Beading Tutorials for all levels
!
Old 2013-05-26, 9:12am

I love upcycling! This is going to be the first thing I try when I get a kiln, after I anneal my newbie beads!

That's why I'm learning to make Beads of Courage

Last edited by jcs in satx; 2013-05-26 at 9:13am. Reason: stupid autocorrect
Old 2013-05-26, 9:24am

How funny Holly! I was just looking at the champagne bottle DH and I got on our first anniversary in Napa with a speculative gleam in my eye. It's sitting on top of my kitchen cabinets with other bottles with sentimental value. I love the idea of making memory beads. Thanks for sharing your tutorial!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly'sFolly View Post
I wanted to share the memory bead I made from the champagne bottle my niece and her hubby drank from at their wedding:

I actually framed it for them with a story:

And I even wrote a photoshop tut for making your text fit your bead.

=============
has anyone tried the Ty Nant bottles???? I have a red one I've been meaning to get to! You can find them at a Bev Mo...

That's why I'm learning to make Beads of Courage
Old 2016-09-11, 12:58pm
Still makin' flowers...

I've gotten a few Facebook messages asking where this tutorial has gone, so I thought that I'd just bring it back up to the top.

A few things to remember:

The COEs of the glasses are not always compatible, so you'll be best off doing testing or doing single color beads.

Adding silver foil and leaf to the beads makes them really glorious. Hopefully someone will post photos soon.

There are loads of photos and also great tips in this thread:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194559

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2016-10-20 at 5:02pm.
Old 2016-09-12, 2:30pm
MacGalver

Simplest compatibility test at the torch is pulling a stringer that is made by overlapping two different pieces of molten glass and pulling. If the stringer stays straight after cooling, the 2 pieces of glass are compatible. If it curves, they are not the same COE.

Old 2016-09-12, 4:04pm
Fried Cat

One thing that I will share from a wine bottle class...

She did not recommend adding 104 or 96 frit or stringer to recycled bottles. If I recall correctly, even if cracks aren't apparent immediately, you're subject to stress and it has the potential to fracture later. The bottles can wildly vary from high 80s to low 90s. You can try, but I wouldn't feel comfortable beyond non-coe additives.

A couple ladies have used frit however. Maybe they'll chime in and give their experiences.

Last edited by SGA; 2016-09-12 at 4:08pm.
Old 2016-09-12, 7:50pm
MacGalver

It makes sense to me that a 90 or 96 frit should work with high 80's or low 90's glass, but I'm sure 104 decorations would be too far off the COE.....

Old 2016-09-12, 8:41pm
Fried Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frit Diva View Post
It makes sense to me that a 90 or 96 frit should work with high 80's or low 90's glass, but I'm sure 104 decorations would be too far off the COE.....
It could. Maybe. Has anyone used 96 frit with Bullseye?

Or Bullseye frit with recycled glass?

I know we use 96 and 104 together sparringly.
Old 2016-09-12, 11:03pm
MacGalver

Quote:
Originally Posted by SGA View Post

Or Bullseye frit with recycled glass?
That's what I was thinking ~ 90 COE Frit seems like a pretty good bet.....

Old 2016-10-20, 3:56pm
Jer. 29:11, Prov.10:19

Thank you for taking the time to put this together and not charging for it!
Old 2016-10-20, 5:05pm
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluhealer View Post
Thank you for taking the time to put this together and not charging for it!
I actually put it together in 2013, I think. Take a look at the date stamp on the first post. And, you're very welcome. It was really fun.

That said, Bronwen teaches a class on this stuff that goes way beyond my little offerings. You can read about the most recent one here:
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=289904

!
Old 2016-12-26, 11:20am
Still makin' flowers...

I just wanted to add two things here... First of all, here's a photo of a piece with a recycled glass bead at the center that has the silver leaf added to it. Its the cover shot from one of my tutorials, but I think you'll get which bead I mean...

And also, I want to add a link to Robin's thread in the Tips section that goes through all of the 37 colors she's found and gives notes on each one....
http://lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=287370

!
Old 2017-03-03, 7:23am

Does anyone have an opinion whether this is a true statement? This was a facebook listing for a bead:
Up Cycled HEART of WISHES Focal ~ Bombay Sapphire Gin bottle glass in aquamarine and cobalt amethyst Corralejo Tequila bottle glass mixed with fine .999 silver for gorgeous reactions, fine silver droplets across the surface...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Created by me, in my studio, in Todos Santos BCS Mexico.
With over 10 years of bead making experience, all of my beads are Properly kiln annealed, and professionally cleaned and shipped.
*You will receive the exact beads in the photo.
*Payment is due within 24 hr of auction end.
Shipping from Baja Sur Mexico. Please allow 3-4 weeks for delivery
Thank you for supporting Handmade.

I asked whether the glass from these two bottles were compatible and this is the response I got:

as long as you don't try to encase them and just lay them side by side.

Is this true? It was a really pretty bead but I can't see how this is a true statement.
Old 2017-07-28, 8:46am

The beads look really cool! since they are made with the recycled glass!

so sustainable and environment-friendly.
Old 2017-07-28, 9:45am
Still makin' flowers...

Quote:
Bombay Sapphire Gin bottle glass in aquamarine and cobalt amethyst Corralejo Tequila bottle glass mixed with fine .999 silver for gorgeous reactions, fine silver droplets across the surface...
----
If the maker did a compatibility test and found that it was okay, then its the same COE. But given that she says it shouldn't be encased then I will assume that they are different. Putting them side by side might work for a while but I personally wouldn't sell the bead - I would think that it'll crack along the seam line between the glass at some point in the future.

!

Last edited by HannahRachel; 2017-08-17 at 10:30am.
Old 2017-08-17, 7:10am

thanks so much for this - will be breaking, cleaning and torching today - it's a heat index day here in new orleans - perfect for my outdoor studio!