Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions > Torch Questions

Old 2008-01-04, 5:00pm

Default Natural Gas Question - cant decide what torch

this probably isnt the right forum, so please correct me - its a natural gas /torch question.

But im going to buy a torch, i live in Canada - Vancouver actually and i dont know if i can use a Minor here with Natural gas. I had a friend tell me she didnt think it would work well with a Minor and a BEtta would be better (but this is definately more expensive). Does anyone know what i need to know in regards to natural gas & a oxy con in Canada - what kind of torch works. Id rather get a minor only because they are less expensive and i have found one here on the listserve that I was hoping to buy.

GAs experts please help me! Especially any Canadians
Old 2008-01-04, 5:05pm
3 bubbles left of level

I use a minor and natural gas and love it!! Recently switched from propane to NG and saw no difference in my flame, reduction, etc.

There is no spoon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-04, 5:14pm

Default thank you

thanks for replying... this is looking more afforable
Old 2008-01-04, 5:27pm
Live and Let Live

You will probably get more info by posting this question in the Tips/Techniques section under the Sub-Forum for Torches. You can come back and delete this thread once you re-post over there...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-01-04, 6:20pm

Mini-cc, Mini-cc, Mini-cc

- No auctions right now.
Old 2008-01-04, 7:44pm
speed winding is a sport.

I've been using a minor with natural gas for several years now and LOVE it!

Old 2008-01-04, 8:54pm

I'd vote mini cc as well. I run on NG with two concentrators. I've also read that the Betta's were designed to work with NG and one concentrator, but I've never run on one.
Old 2008-01-04, 10:29pm
Just Plain

I'm on a Minor, NG, and one concentrator and everything works hunky-dory

Old 2008-01-04, 11:31pm

I'm on a betta and natural gas. Love it! works boro too I've been searching for a second torch and tried the mega and the lynx....Went back to another betta!
Irene

Old 2008-01-05, 12:28am
Bead Imp

I use a Mini CC, NG, & 1 concentrator. I love it!

Old 2008-01-05, 12:45am

Well, I live in Vancouver, BC and I have a Betta... that I run with one concentrator on propane. We do have the option of natural gas - so I am very interested in what people might have to say about this.. I have been very happy with my set up, but haven't tried much in the way of boro (always thought I could add another oyx con if I had to). I am told that propane burns hotter than natural gas.... so I might notice a 'negative ' difference if I change my ways!

Reenie... do you work with one or two oxy cons?

Sue

Old 2008-01-05, 8:01am
Butterfly Rancher

I'm using a Mini CC on NG with a Regalia which is the equivalent of 2 oxycons (10 LPM). I just upgraded from one 5LPM-8PSI oxycon because I found the MiniCC too reducing on just one oxycon. The NG side of the equation has not been a problem at all. If I was starting over again with NG and 1 oxycon, I'd look closely at the Bobcat, Minor and Betta. I'm still debating a move to a Betta since it seems to be very efficient on the low pressure (1/4 PSI) of household NG.

You may want to check with whoever provides your NG to see what pressure it is provided at. Most US NG is provided at a 1/4 PSI.

May 2014 -- Good-bye Florida and Hello Colorado
Old 2008-01-05, 11:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_affair View Post
Reenie... do you work with one or two oxy cons?

Sue
Sue,
I worked with one oxycon until just a few months ago. The boro could be worked on one and I did with it but "Mr. Smiley" told me that 2 oxycons would make boro "Sing!" Took me awhile to save up for one. Now boro melts very,very fast. When I do shows, I bring one oxycon and propane.
The difference that I notice with the propane is that the candles are clearer. I don't know how to explain that but they are really crisp and defined. Not so much with the NG. Also, yes it does run hotter. I came home and used the propane for awhile but went back to the NG just because for one, it's so much easier not having to constantly fill the tanks. Two, I don't feel comfortable with propane in the house and three....it really wasn't that much difference where I had to have propane.
Hope that helps
Irene

Old 2008-01-05, 12:55pm
Daggy-O

The extra oxygen is what is going to make the flame hotter, not so much the gas. I use a Bobcat on NG and 1 oxycon and it takes me forever to melt boro. I had to have a booster of sorts put on my gas meter outside my house because gas pressure to a house is less than I needed for my torch - so you might want to check into that.

"Cancel my subscription - I am over your issues." Schermo's website
Old 2008-01-05, 2:12pm
what a blast!

I'm in Toronto. I use a minor with natural gas and 1 5L oxygen concentrator. I am connected to the direct gas line coming into the house . .the PSI is fine for a minor torch. Both purchased from Nortel here is Toronto. What you will notice is that natural gas burns cooler than propane. So it will work for Morretti, Lauscha and Bullseye . . but won't do boro. You can boost the heat by having 2 oygen concentrators. Nortel also recently introduced the "mega-minor" which also works on natural gas and apparently hotter than a minor so it will do boro.

Carol
Old 2008-01-05, 2:40pm

I can melt boro on my mini with 2 concentrators and NG. It melts a little slower than BE for me.
Old 2008-03-09, 7:58am
Resident hippie

Thanks everyone for your input - these replies are helping me in getting set up. And thanks Shari-Kim for asking.
All the best
Beadanna
Old 2008-03-10, 5:46pm

I have a betta and a 5L oxycon with natural gas and I love it! Its awesome for soft glass and I can burn boro fine. I am thinking about getting an 8L oxycon because I am using boro most of the time now and I want to be able to melt it quicker. Good Luck!
Old 2008-03-10, 6:32pm
Ad astra per aspera

I use a Midrange Plus on NG and an oxy generator. (see my sigline). Love it!!!!