Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2009-04-07, 3:00am
Hole Challenged

Default Most common Ear Plug gauge?

I've never posted in the boro section.

I've searched for info on ear plugs and I know they come in different gauges but I'm wondering if anyone here knows what size is the most common. I want to make some for somebody and I don't know what size and can't find out without blowing the surprise of the gift. I thought if I could find out what size is the most common I could make that size and maybe a step up and down just in case.

Anyone here make them?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-04-07, 5:37am
ManBearPig

The simple answer is... there isn't a "most common". I have made them of all shapes and sizes. I don't make them any more because there are so many imported ones out there that I can't compete, but if you google "glass ear plugs" you will get many many web sites that sell them. Most of them list the sizes. You could probably get a good idea of what size to make them by checking them out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-04-07, 7:40am

My son really wants me to make him some any suggestions on where to find a tutorial?
Jodie

Worlds in miniature a passion for murrini - Jodie McDougall
Old 2009-04-07, 8:06am

Cool thread. I always get asked to do these plugs but just never have done it. I'll have to check out those site for sizes.

Ashlea

Old 2009-04-07, 8:20am
Spoiled

Quote:
Originally Posted by glasswhimz View Post
My son really wants me to make him some any suggestions on where to find a tutorial?
Jodie
I don't think there's a tutorial out anywhere but if you just look at some they're pretty easy to see how they were made. Play around and see what you can come up with, that's part of the fun of lampworking.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

Old 2009-04-07, 8:34am

if you get a wire gauge wheel and a good set of calipers you will be on your way in no time.....
Old 2009-04-07, 10:21am
Pyromaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
I don't make them any more because there are so many imported ones out there that I can't compete.
I was just at the mall the other day and saw the complete crap they are selling at Hot Topic. I was thinking that I could make a lot of that from glass but I couldn't compete with the utter garbage that they sell at the mall for cheap...

Fortune Cookie say, "When things go wrong, don't go with them!"

Current Glass-Melting Apparatus:
GTT Lynx powered by 2 5 LPM Oxycons and
a sexy Barracuda running pure tanked Oxy
Old 2009-04-07, 3:28pm
Hole Challenged

Thanks everyone! Guess I'll just go with something else since there really isn't a so called "standard" size to judge by.

Cosmo - I bet your plugs were to die for!! Too bad about the imports taking over.

Old 2009-04-07, 7:04pm
jessica barksdale

a friend & i used to make plugs & the sizes we sold the most were 6g, 2g, & 0g

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-04-07, 7:10pm
Unmedicated since '62

i sell lots of body jewellery and sorry to say but there is no common size - it all depends on the person wearing it. as them what size they are, if you want to keep it a surprise just ask in a general interest kind of way "that looks so cool, how big is it?"

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2009-04-07, 7:22pm
Yeah me!

What a cool topic! I used to have my ears stretched to a 2 and my DH has 5/16.
The best thing I would think is to figure out what kind of plug you want to make, single flare, double flare or no flare. I would go to your local hardware store and see what they offer in the way of rubber o rings and start with no flare. Practice making plugs that fit the o rings then after you get comfortable with the sizes try making ones with flares on the ends. Remember that with flares the flare is one full size above the body of the plug.
If I were you I would go to a local tattoo shop or aesthetics shop and ask them what sizes they sell the most of and if they would be willing to sell some on consignment. I have thought about this also, as Hot Topic does have a pretty crappy selection! Also I have bought my DH some plugs from a tattoo shop that were $85 so there is definitely a market for it!

Old 2009-04-07, 10:58pm

hold up peeps...i know a nice tutorial on the melting pot let me go find it..
Old 2009-04-07, 11:04pm

try this thread...
http://www.talkglass.com/forum/showt...ighlight=plugs
Old 2009-04-08, 8:22am

Thanks for the threads. Now I have to try it. Lets see if I can translate it into soft glass.

Worlds in miniature a passion for murrini - Jodie McDougall
Old 2009-04-10, 11:58am
funny mofo

I was bewildered. Why would anyone want to make an ear plug out of glass? Not only would it be uncomfortable, it wouldn't even block the sound very well. And it would fall out. You can get foam ones at the drugstore for 25 cents apiece.

Then I clued in! Sounds cool.

As you were...
Old 2009-04-11, 5:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuntD View Post
I was bewildered. Why would anyone want to make an ear plug out of glass? Not only would it be uncomfortable, it wouldn't even block the sound very well. And it would fall out. You can get foam ones at the drugstore for 25 cents apiece.

Then I clued in! Sounds cool.

As you were...
Wrong ear plug

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/112/3...72d106.jpg?v=0