Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-04-18, 3:19am
I think I could be a bead

Default Macro setting

I have a Cannon Power Shoot SD870 IS. It's a basically a point and shoot with a few extra features. Until now I've not had any issues with it, and I've been happy with my bead shots. Lately I've noticed that when I use the macro setting, I am getting blurred shots. Is it possible for the macro setting to go out? Do I need a new camera? Thanks for the help.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-04-18, 6:27am
Certified Glassaholic!

Have you changed anything about the way you take pictures? Are you using a tripod? I guess anything is possible with electronics but it would be weird, I think, for just macro to be blurry if everything else is OK.

Old 2010-04-18, 9:48am

No, I haven't changed anything. That's why I'm puzzled. It's just a setting, so unless something major is going out, I don't know what to think. Thanks.

Old 2010-04-18, 12:22pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

Mallory, I have a Cannon with macro and supermacro. My macro works on the auto setting but supermacro I have to set the wheel on top to 'C' for custom. When I had horrible blurred pics a month or so ago I thought the camera was messed up. I went into the program and reset everything to factory default and after that everything was OK. Just a last resort for you to try and back up EVERYTHING before you do it.

Old 2010-04-18, 1:06pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try. It's just so weird!

Old 2010-04-28, 3:15pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Are you using your zoom in the macro setting? I also have two macro settings (macro, and super macro). If I'm too close in the macro setting, I will get a blurry picture. I just need to either back up a bit, (move the tripod a little further out) or switch to super macro.

Ebay:
Old 2010-04-28, 3:22pm
Experimentalist

Hm... I have a Powershot and use both the macro and the supermacro and haven't noticed any blur.

When you use macro, your camera adjusts other things accordingly (unless you have it all configured manually, which it doesn't sound like you do).

My guess is your camera is slowing down the aperture speed and you need to compensate for this by using a tripod (and a self-timer).

Unless you already are...

You can test my theory (without first using a tripod) by doing a macro shot with forced flash. Flash will change the aperture speed to really fast (eliminating any speed-related blur). Then if you're photos are still blurry, it's something else (like are you too close to the object?).

Last edited by Laura B; 2010-04-28 at 3:24pm.