Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-05-26, 11:28am
flight risk

Default best colors for masked dots

Does anybody have any good color combos for good, crisp masked dots? I've used CIM hades and peace (yellowish ring around hades), Hades on moretti White (white seems thin so the black shows through, and the black bleeds), Tuxedo on Peace (Tuxedo looks bluish)... I'm not wedded to the black and white, I just want clean, crisp dots with no bleeding. I guess I also need strong colors that will cover each other completely with no transparency. Or, maybe there is something wrong with my technique? Thanks!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2011-05-26, 11:44am
Did someone say SALE?

You could try mixing in some enamel to make your dots more opaque. I have been meaning to try that myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet!
Old 2011-05-26, 11:44am
thecoralcat

Location: Upstate South Carolina about 20 minutes south of Asheville, NC

Hi Glenda! Just a tip that might help a little - let your base bead get pretty cool before applying your dots - this should help with the "bleed through". When you melt the dots in, do it very slowly to get clean, crisp edges.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Victorian Style Floral available now!

NEW TUTORIAL!
Joan - Ancient Creator of Unique Disasters in glass!
Old 2011-05-26, 12:15pm
flight risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
Hi Glenda! Just a tip that might help a little - let your base bead get pretty cool before applying your dots - this should help with the "bleed through". When you melt the dots in, do it very slowly to get clean, crisp edges.

Hmmm. So maybe this is a technique problem rather than a color problem. I'm on a hothead so I always feel like I'm working extra hard to keep the glass warm/ hot. Maybe I'm overdoing it... Thanks!

Old 2011-05-26, 12:37pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

Get reichenbach intense black... 104 The best black I have seen yet.

Old 2011-05-26, 12:56pm
SCIENCE Teacher!

I use Moretti medium or dark cobalt blue and reg ol' Moretti white. I don't superheat the white, but heat somewhat gently and tap gently with my handheld marver.
Old 2011-05-26, 1:48pm
flight risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
Haven't tried that one- I will add it to my shopping list!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
and tap gently with my handheld marver.
Kinda like smooshing the dots in? I've been trying to melt them in just with the heat, but maybe they could use a little help...

Old 2011-05-26, 3:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzanne View Post
I agree, and I have tried them all!!! No webbing, really saturated!

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2011-05-26, 4:08pm

I'm using a hothead and I've been using Morretti B & W and haven't had any trouble. So, perhaps you are getting the bead too hot (as someone said earlier). Also, if I want really round dots - I do smoosh them, then melt them in slowly, seems to help get a nice round shape.

Good luck!
-tisha
Old 2011-05-27, 6:54am

Try opal yellow instead of CIM peace or moretti white. OY is very dense.

And another one for Reichenbachs deep black .

Kathrin
Old 2011-06-08, 11:04am
rainbowchasingtimewaster

I finally got some Reichenbach deep black. OMG. Absolutely perfect! I agree with Melody Lee -no webbing, completely saturated pure black. Thank you all in this thread!!!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-06-08, 12:08pm
traumaqueen

Location: Utrecht, a town in The Netherlands, close to amsterdam

It is perfect isn't it! I love my deep black! It even stays true black when pulled down to hairfine stringers.

Old 2011-06-08, 4:13pm
rainbowchasingtimewaster

Completely perfect, Suzanne! I am amazed!

Lori Peterson - Try telling a Dachshund no and you will understand the true meaning of futility.

*f

Old 2011-06-10, 9:16am
Triumphantly Knit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2canoe View Post
I just learned this in a class, it makes a big difference.

namaste
Rowyn

"Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right"

"Only from the heart can you touch the sky"

"Be kind whenever possible.It is always possible
Old 2011-06-13, 10:58am
..in withdrawal....

Moretti compatible black cullet works extremely well for a crisp black. You have to melt it down and pull your own rods/stringers, but at the price it's well worth it! Learned this one several years ago from Larry Scott.

Currently $4.89 per pound at C & R Loo
http://www.crloo.com/Products/Lampwo...effetre_5.html

Last edited by KayG7; 2011-06-13 at 11:10am.
Old 2011-06-13, 4:59pm

Another thought - if your dots are too far apart, the edges won't be as crisp & clean either. The farther apart, the thinner and less opaque the dots will be.
Old 2011-06-13, 6:04pm
flight risk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannise View Post
Another thought - if your dots are too far apart, the edges won't be as crisp & clean either. The farther apart, the thinner and less opaque the dots will be.
I didn't think of that, but it makes sense. More space to spread=thinner glass. I've been practicing size and spacing, but am still working out the relationship between the two. I've been reading (and rereading!) the Dots book... still waiting for the lightbulb to click on.

Old 2011-06-13, 9:02pm

Can't tell you how many times I've been through the Dots book too. I read, put it away for six months, read again - the more experienced I get, the more it makes sense........but I'm far from being an "artist" like most of the folks here. There are good tips in the book about how to space the dots, sometimes looking at the spacing from the tip of the mandrel helps.
Old 2011-06-14, 1:04am
Ad astra per aspera

Try Peace white with Moretti Cobalt Lapis. I do masked and stacked dots with that combo all the time and absolutely love it. Nice and crisp.