No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2011-07-04, 8:39pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Default Has anyone had success with...

re-introducing a thermal cracked, still on the mandrel bead and re-heated to heal the cracks?

I finally had a pretty darn cool heart bead, only to find it had thermal cracks when I took it out of the kiln. Normally, I would just take it as lesson learned but I would REALLY REALLY like to save this one if possible. Any thoughts??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-07-04, 8:46pm

If it is boro, warm it up again slowly in your kiln before re-introducing it into the flame.
Old 2011-07-04, 8:47pm
maybe tomorrow

It sure can't hurt to try, can it?

Old 2011-07-04, 8:48pm
Tweedle Dumb

If you warm it up nice and slow in your kiln to 950+ (I speak of soft glass) and hold it there for a while to let the heat sink in, then carefully (without burning yourself) reintroduce it to the flame, it should work.

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2011-07-04, 8:54pm
Sucks at being nice

I've had mixed results. It depends on the design. If it is complicated I usually end up with details that aren't as crisp as I prefer. If it's more of an organic design it's works a little better. You have to heat it up enough to heal the crack at the core so it can be interesting. Be prepared for your bead release to let go too.

Old 2011-07-04, 8:55pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenofswords View Post
If it is boro, warm it up again slowly in your kiln before re-introducing it into the flame.
That what I do for soft glass too.

Old 2011-07-04, 10:10pm

I put my cracked bead in the kiln and ramp it up to annealing temp. I work my session and the last thing I do is take the cracked bead out and re-work it. Works just fine.

Old 2011-07-04, 10:13pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Unless it's cracked all the way to the core. It the crack's that deep, and you can reheat it enough to do a deep melt, you usually get an air bubble down by the mandrel, and the darn thing cracks in half when you take it off the mandrel.

But simple surface cracks and sculptural bits that pop off all fix nicely with reheat.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2011-07-04, 11:29pm
one day at a time

I've tried in several times and it never worked out. I think it was because the crack was deep and down to the mandrel, so it cracked the bead release too. Those beads either shattered more or were permanently stuck. Wish I could say something more positive!
Old 2011-07-05, 12:02am
Entropy increasing....

Lots of times. I've healed whole goddess beads by sticking them in the kiln cold, turning it on and letting it heat up for a couple of hours first. It depends where they are cracked, though. They tend to crack inbetween the legs.
Old 2011-07-07, 8:20pm
Forever P~P~P :0)

Ya'all rock! Thanks bunches for all your suggestions. I'll take a pick if it works out...thanks again!! hugs Sandy

Sandy
No hurry ~ no worries ~ unless its hot & drippy..!

Hot Head & big BBQ tank of propane!

awesome banner by Knatty Dreadz!! WE MISS YOU!
Old 2011-07-08, 6:42am
Lampworkaholic!

I've done repairs with a lot of success, but so far have not been able to heal a bead that is cracked all along the mandrell line on both sides, even if it still in clinging to the bead release. I do what has been said, ramp up the bead and soak at least an hour. I take a wadded up wet paper towel and cool the mandrel so I can handle it. Flash the bead in the flame for a bit before introducing it full out. I've even put beads back on mandrels. Dip, put bead back, dry, use a toothbrush to gently brush away most of the exposed bead release.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2011-07-08, 7:11am
addicted to dichro

The time I tried it I ended up with hot glass exploding all over the place, but I might have not been patient enough in trying to get it from kiln temp to melting temperatures slowly. One thing you may wish to consider is if the crack isn't that extensive you may rather just wear the bead yourself as is rather than risking it breaking into pieces. I have some beads I wear regularly that cracked years ago and they still are in one piece.