LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-14, 10:49am

Would this work for you? It's graphite, and not too expensive ...

http://www.artcoinc.com/wi_lampwork_...hp#w529000200"

Malcolm
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Email:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-03-14, 10:51am

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Hey Cynthia!

I have graphite rod rests from the folks who manufacture The Perfect Tool (TPT) - you know the one that has all the interchangeable parts? It's a piece of graphite approx 10" long and 1cm wide that has U channels carved out to rest the rods in. Let me see if I can find you a link.

-Yee

Edited to add: I don't see the individual rod rests for sale but in this listing you can see it as part of the set. I'm sure if you contact them they sell them individually. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Tool...#ht_2293wt_956
That's the one I just posted

Malcolm

Email:

Phone:+1.408.288.7978
Old 2012-03-14, 11:15am
Noooobie!

Thanks for the info and link.... I just ordered the rest too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeepers View Post
Hey Cynthia!

I have graphite rod rests from the folks who manufacture The Perfect Tool (TPT) - you know the one that has all the interchangeable parts? It's a piece of graphite approx 10" long and 1cm wide that has U channels carved out to rest the rods in. Let me see if I can find you a link.

-Yee

Edited to add: I don't see the individual rod rests for sale but in this listing you can see it as part of the set. I'm sure if you contact them they sell them individually. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Perfect-Tool...#ht_2293wt_956
Old 2012-03-14, 11:36am
..in withdrawal....

I just use a long piece of threaded rod from Lowes -- I haven't really noticed any issue with cracking, but not sure if it has anything to do with the threaded rod or it maybe I let my rods cool more before I put them down? Anyway, I love the threaded rod -- the ridges keep the glass rods from rolling on it, and you can get them in different lengths.

Last edited by KayG7; 2012-03-14 at 11:41am.
Old 2012-03-14, 11:41am
burnin' glass just becuz

I have a 6"x6" graphite plate under my torch and just rest my rods on that. the radiant heat keeps them warm

Give ideas away - there are new ones underneath... Diane Vreeland
Old 2012-03-14, 11:43am
Ad astra per aspera

I've wanted the one from Malcolm for years!

Meanwhile, I'm using a simple porcelain tile. It's bumpy enough that the rods don't roll around, it's not sensitive to heat, and it doesn't seem to shock the rods, either. At this point I may not go for the graphite at all.

I "copied" my new bench design from the Weaver Industries' "Mother Ship" design, but did it with two 6x12" tiles, raised up on pieces of baseboard molding.

Here are left, right and full views. I really like the "up on molding" part (inspired by Weaver) because I can slip my tools underneath and just have rods and stringers I'm using up above. I'm still training my hands to know where things are, but it's a big improvement.
Attached Images

Last edited by DesertDreamer; 2012-03-14 at 11:55am. Reason: Added pix
Old 2012-03-14, 1:23pm
uncouthful cats

I wonder if it's because you work so hot, Cynthia? <smirk> Seriously, Cynthia has one of those big dragon torches. Not a big girl torch, a freaking dragon torch. Maybe it heats up more of the rod than a regular torch does. I've never had a rod crack due to sitting it back in the rod rest, & it doesn't sound like it's a common problem at all. Blame the dragon.

Oh no! The cats forgot to vacuum AGAIN!
Old 2012-03-14, 4:22pm
Happy Inner Dragon

I've got the top of an old stainless steel serviette/toast rack which fits nicely under the torch, and keeps nice and warm. I still get the odd cracked transparent rod (mostly the Topaz colours), but it's helpful for keeping clear rods warm while encasing, too.

rusticalsfreestyle on Instagram

SRA# P107
Old 2012-03-14, 4:30pm
Born Facing Left

I use the insert from an old aluminum ice cube tray. I put it on my bench the first day that I brought home my old hot head, and it's been on my bench ever since. It's not pretty, but hey, it's vintage!

Old 2012-03-14, 5:03pm
dances with ideas...

[quote=Beadanna;3930779]No cats now but I saved lots of those containers. Hoarder moi?

Hey--you put some of them to great use! Good idea!

Old 2012-03-14, 7:44pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertDreamer View Post
I've wanted the one from Malcolm for years!

Meanwhile, I'm using a simple porcelain tile. It's bumpy enough that the rods don't roll around, it's not sensitive to heat, and it doesn't seem to shock the rods, either. At this point I may not go for the graphite at all.

I "copied" my new bench design from the Weaver Industries' "Mother Ship" design, but did it with two 6x12" tiles, raised up on pieces of baseboard molding.

Here are left, right and full views. I really like the "up on molding" part (inspired by Weaver) because I can slip my tools underneath and just have rods and stringers I'm using up above. I'm still training my hands to know where things are, but it's a big improvement.
now that is a great idea - i have a tile under all my glass to protect the bench and the tools constantly get mixed in with the glass and i end up ratting around to find them - i'm going to do that, thanks

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-03-14, 8:02pm
Flame Dames Rule!

Some great ideas here! I have one of the graphite rod rests and like it a lot.

For years I used a big fat rod of clear boro for a rest - didn't matter how hot the soft glass rod was I laid on it, nothing ever got stuck or cracked.

Sharon Peters
New Bead Display Stands Available - pm me!

Specializing in Critters and Puns and other Cool Stuff...

Old 2012-03-14, 8:14pm

I just had my husband make me a wooden one where the rods stand up. Not quite as fancy as yours but the same concept. I think it might solve my problem of cracking. It seems I am the crack fairy:roll eyes: I'm going to curse all of you who's rods don't crack:fowl:

I like yours Malcolm. That looks great.

Great ideas everyone. I like to know what others use at the bench. It's interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABR Dave View Post
We sell a wood one, that the rods stand vertical in.

http://www.dichroicimagery.com/produ...oducts_id=1071

Old 2012-03-14, 8:15pm

LOL Yea, it's not my fault. I blame the TORCH. It is hot and I do tend to work hot. My rods are still red when I lay them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clan tabby View Post
I wonder if it's because you work so hot, Cynthia? <smirk> Seriously, Cynthia has one of those big dragon torches. Not a big girl torch, a freaking dragon torch. Maybe it heats up more of the rod than a regular torch does. I've never had a rod crack due to sitting it back in the rod rest, & it doesn't sound like it's a common problem at all. Blame the dragon.

Old 2012-03-14, 8:44pm
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtcoInc View Post
Would this work for you? It's graphite, and not too expensive ...

http://www.artcoinc.com/wi_lampwork_...hp#w529000200"

Malcolm
Oh swell. Another new toy I must have.

Except I need about 4, 'cause I usually work with a lot of colors.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-03-15, 12:44am
Naysayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBulb View Post
My rod rest is just other glass rods. There's a metal one under there somewhere but it'll take a bit of digging to find it.
I was thinking that as I read this thread, I just use about 40 lbs of glass as a rod rest. I rarely see cracked tips, not sure why yours is cracking.

But really, a dragon? :O
Old 2012-03-15, 8:06am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravenesque View Post
I was thinking that as I read this thread, I just use about 40 lbs of glass as a rod rest. I rarely see cracked tips, not sure why yours is cracking.

But really, a dragon? :O
Ok, but here's the thing. I am a bit OCD and my table is completely cleared off every time I torch. There is no glass hanging around. And when I am done for the day, it gets cleared off again so I really need a rod rest

Well, it's not a dragon in the true sense of the word but it's pretty like this one.

But wouldn't this be fun to have? I got to try this out when I was in Indiana. Very cool.

Old 2012-03-15, 11:27am
..in withdrawal....

Holy sheeets!!!

[quote=glassactcc;3932298]

Well, it's not a dragon in the true sense of the word but it's pretty like this one.

Old 2012-03-15, 11:52am
randomly active member

I just learned a whole pile of brilliant ideas from this thread! My rods crack all the time too so I have taken to laying them down on an extra piece of graphite I had laying around. The graphite doesn't seem to make them crack as much as the metal rod rest for sure.

But now I have all sorts of things I am going to change on my workbench after reading this thread ...

And, um, yeah ... holy freaking torch batman! Pretty sure I would burn the house down with something like that lol.
.:.

Old 2012-03-15, 11:57am

LOL hey, it's dual purpose. Who would mess with me with that in my hands. They would think it was some kind of ray gun from the future.

Old 2012-03-15, 12:30pm

So you must use liquid. I can't get it delivered in our residential area

Old 2012-03-15, 12:32pm

No, just propane and oxy. I have an oxygen generator to feed it though so no lugging bottles. It's the nicest quietest torch I have ever used, but that's just
my opinion. I have used many but this one is my favorite.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Woman View Post
So you must use liquid. I can't get it delivered in our residential area

Old 2012-03-15, 12:45pm
Angie09

Cynthia ... what is an oxygen "generator" .... I have an oxygen "concentrator" but don't have a clue about using a generator???
Old 2012-03-15, 12:51pm

I have this one. I bought it years ago before the oxycons became popular. I think they are the same concept but this one really puts out LOL! I can run more then one torch at a time with this. It is fed by an air compressor.
Here is the link if you want to read about it.

http://www.onsitegas.com/o2-generator-oxygen

Old 2012-03-15, 12:56pm
Angie09

WOW!!! I'm impressed!!!
Old 2012-03-15, 1:03pm

It is a great thing really. It's virtually no maintanance, only a couple of filters every now and then. It has paid for itself over and over but they are not cheap. For the amount of lamp working I do though, it was worth the purchase for me. My husband was not happy having to fill the bottles. That got old fast.

Old 2012-03-15, 1:11pm
...displaced ocean lover

Talking Dear Crack Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
but this one really puts out LOL! http://www.onsitegas.com/o2-generator-oxygen

First the crack joke and now this....
somebody's in a mood

Introducing...MY Etsy!!

Now featuring SOCK MONKEY AND SEA TURTLE beads!

....and now with Hot Steeeeenking Peppers!!!

...and Muggle Made Sorting Hats
Old 2012-03-15, 1:17pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
I have this one. I bought it years ago before the oxycons became popular. I think they are the same concept but this one really puts out LOL! I can run more then one torch at a time with this. It is fed by an air compressor.
Here is the link if you want to read about it.

http://www.onsitegas.com/o2-generator-oxygen

Do you fill tanks or use this hooked directly into your torch?
Old 2012-03-15, 1:19pm

Directly to the torch Larry.

Old 2012-03-15, 1:33pm
Dynamic Duo

Back to rod rests -

When I (michael) work, I have a large graphite pad sitting under my flame, out front a bit, and a little to the right since I am right handed. This is where I will put shorter rods, stringer pieces, and frit for the beads that I am working on.

Longer rods are rested on racks shown in picture that I made. In the paint section a the hardware store I noticed these gizmos for sitting over paint cans, or in roller pans, to run your brush or roller over to remove excess paint. They were real cheap. Just bought and bent in half to make a V. Have been planning to cut off the curved 'legs' on the end, but have not done so yet.

I like these as there are multi levels for sticking the rods, either on top, or through the holes. Very little contact point for chilling the rods.

(Torch is at bottom of pictures, you can just see the tip in the first one, under the Arrow Springs arm rest thingie. I have 2 of the paint roller racks in use, nested together on one end.)

And, BTW, my metal work table is a metal door from a commercial frezzer that I found in a pile of trash when I bought this house in 1998 - Knew there was a reason I kept it!)

Last edited by flaming_fools; 2012-03-15 at 1:35pm.