Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc.

Classes, Retreats, Get togethers, Etc. -- Upcoming classes, retreats, special events, Get togethers. Please delete your thread when the event is over.

Old 2015-01-05, 7:15am

Question Best Beginner Workshop(s)?

Hello everyone. I just joined the site a few days ago. What I'm looking for is info on Beginner Workshops in the 4 corners area (Colorado, Utah, Arizona, New Mexico) I live rather remotely and it's common to driving 3 hours at least for real groceries, so I don't mind having to drive for a good quality workshop, preferably over the course of a few days. (Also interested in enameling)

An online workshop would be OK...but...what I really need is some hands on, in person, training, but if you also have a good suggestion on a good quality, comprehensive, workshop, those suggestions would be appreciated to. I can find tons of stuff online, but, I have no real working knowledge of which are really worth the time and money. Heck, even suggestions on what NOT to invest my time and money in would be great too!

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you kindly, and happy Monday
Old 2015-01-05, 7:28am
Loving learning

You'd have to fly, but Marley at BeadCamp in Florida (Nokomis, south of Sarasota) might be a good place to start. You can read about classes at the website, and then email her for more info.
Old 2015-01-05, 9:00am

Hi and welcome!
I have another "not-in-your-area" suggestion. Kate Fowle Meleney offers a fantastic weekend extensive course for beginners. She is located in Narragansett, Rhode Island though.

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2015-01-05, 10:16am
Dazed and Confused

Welcome!

I found a local ISGB page that deals just with the Four Corners area .

Even if you don't want to join the International Society of Glass Beadmakers (my membership lapsed a few years back) it might give you an idea of whats available near you. Just browsing the pages, it looks like thy have several links per state, so you'll have some choice in where you get your supplies.

I'd also chime in with an out-of-state 'gem' - the awesome Pacific Art Glass in Gardena, CA - they have a huge supply (and do online sales) and hold classes all the time. They're my local store and I'm sure they'd be able to point you in the direction of something more local to you, if you draw a blank with other resources.

Last edited by speedingpullet; 2015-01-05 at 10:22am.
Old 2015-01-05, 10:40am
I'm meeeeelting

There are a couple of schools/studios in AZ that I've heard good things about (but don't know specifically about their beginner classes). Look up the Sonoran Glass School (Tucson) and Beyond the Torch (Scottsdale).

Foot Pedal Tutorial:

Kevlar Fingerless Gloves:
Old 2015-01-05, 6:06pm

Thank you everyone for replying! I now have some good information...and places to start with. Thank you again!
Old 2015-01-10, 11:01pm
I'm the redhead!

Try the Melting Point in Sedona, AZ. New glass studio, state of the art.

My Website:

"To worry is to let your imagination create things you do not want." Abraham
Old 2015-01-11, 8:17am

The Mesa Art Center has some great classes
Old 2015-01-22, 9:30pm
FlameTree Glass, Inc.

Not in your area, but if you are ever in Atlanta, GA. FlameTree Glass has the best in beginner Flameworking workshops! 11 plus years glowing and growing stronger everyday! Beginner to Advanced Classes in soft and hard glass.
State of the art facility with 10 stations, and much much more! Climate controlled, and proper ventilation! Multiple kilns, over 24 torches in house!
www.FlameTreeglass.com
FlameTree Glass, Inc.
470 S. Atlanta St.
Historic Roswell, GA 30075
678-795-1702
Old 2015-02-07, 6:26pm

Oh my. We don't live in AZ but plan on a visit this year. I just checked out the Melting Point and it looks like it has wonderful classes. I think we better plan our trip so I can attend one.
Old 2015-02-12, 10:28am

There are a couple of classes for beginners at Glasscraft & Bead Expo this year in Las Vegas. The classes are from April 8th - 12th. Lots of good classes. I'm teaching a beginning bead class and a glass flowers class - both which are directed towards folks who have never done lamp working before.

Check it out.

Lisa
Old 2015-02-24, 7:05am
can't stop the signal

also not in your area but Snow Farm in western Massachusetts has week long workshops in a spectacular setting. room and board are included for around $800. It's total immersion.