Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-11-10, 8:55pm

Default Tute on how to make sculpted leaves

I'm not even sure how to explain. I want to see how to make the leaves that go with the flowers, roses, etc. I can do the flowers (sort of) but the leaves I'm clueless. Anyone have a video of how it's done?

Thanks!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2009-11-10, 10:43pm
honorary bead lady

Take a petal masher, mash a petal
reheat and smoosh a vein down the center with narrow tweezers, if still hot enough add veins on the sides, reheat tip and pull point, heat rod end and pull leaf off

http://midwestcreativecollective.wor...2008/01/31/59/

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...highlight=leaf

Take a petal masher, mash a petal
reheat and smoosh a vein down the center with narrow tweezers, if still hot enough add veins on the sides, reheat tip and pull point, heat rod end and pull leaf off
Old 2009-11-10, 11:48pm

I need the little leaves you make with stringer, you put the dot on and pull it away or something to make a leaf-like shape. I tried to do it, but I don't know the trick to it. I just end up with a blob.

Old 2009-11-11, 1:28am

Cheryl,
I wish you could get down here. I can show you a few different ways I do it.
Try making a round bead. Get it really hot so that gravity starts to drop the glass. Then just flatten that part. Take a pair of tweezers and i just press 2 -3 time on each side which gives it its grooves. then you can take the tweezers and grab the very end of it and just pull it out and to the side or straight.
I also use leaf mashers as well but find I do better using just the tweezers. if you can come down and play, I can show you how but I'm not a great at drawing diagrams.

Old 2009-11-11, 2:45am
RAH!

If you mean like leaves on a bead (rather than beads shaped like a leaf), make your bead, take a stringer and head the end up until you get a tiny gather, then press it down on your bead, a proper firm press so the hot glass smooshes out, then (and you got to be quite quick), pull your stringer downwards (whilst still pressing into the bead). Hopefully you'll have a vague leaf shape- if you heat it too much it will end up like ablob though, so as you heat press with a marver to stick the whole shape to the base bead. You can also press the middle with a razor tool for a vein-crease down the middle.

See classy paint explanation:

(Now with stock! And useful photography!)
Old 2009-11-11, 9:31am

Charli! This is what I was looking for. Thanks!

Irene did you get my pm and email?

Old 2009-11-12, 9:49am
Dancing Moon Shadows

I'm so glad this came up! And Charli, your explanation was terrific! Thanks for taking the time to not only explain, but illustrate!

[/b][/i][/font]
Old 2009-11-12, 10:17am
I'm a lilac!

I don't know if this is at all what you're looking for, but I did a tut on using leaf mashers: http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=96064

Old 2009-11-12, 10:18am
I'm a lilac!

Oh, LOL, I just read all the way down to the end. That's not at all what you were looking for!

Old 2009-11-12, 11:21am

And, I am just going to add, if the *pointy* tip of the leaf isn't pointy enough, make a tiny point on the end of a separate thin rod, and use it to pull out the tip of your leaf some. (to do this just heat the very tip of the rod, and wait a second or two you don't want it hair thin, then pull it out with a tweezer. then snap the bally end off and you have a tiny - maybe 1/2 " point to use. )
Heat up your leaf dot focusing as well as you can on the end you want to move, and put your tiny tip at the very end where you would like to give the blob more shape, and wait a second and then gently pull it out. Slowly....this is a very small movement.
I always have a bunch of short clear and intense black rods that I have made little points on. That way they are always ready. Definitely one of those PPP things, but worth it. IMO
I bet I pull something around on at least 80% of my beads.
Clear as mud? ha ha, I have always wanted to say that....
cheers,
jo

- A work in progress

Old 2009-11-12, 2:34pm

I hope Moth does not mind but I came across one of her tutorials on off mandrel leaves. I just love her work and tutorials.
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3913
I hope this helps.
Bob

e-mail: