Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2009-11-02, 5:55pm

Question What camera do you use????????

Besides all of the awesomely beautiful artwork from all of the beadmasters here on LE,there is also a plethora of fantastic photography!! I have searched the forums and have not found an answer to my question: Which camera should I get??? Do I need a D-SLR with at least 10 mp or should I get something less expensive like a Canon Powershot. Also ,if I do go for a D-Slr do I need to get an extra lense for macro shots or is the function on the camera sufficient? (I'm thinking of getting a Canon Rebel D-SLR). Any opinions or suggestions are welcome. Thanks-Joan
Old 2009-11-02, 8:37pm
ManBearPig

You don't need a DSLR. You definitely don't need a macro lens. I have never once used macro when shooting glass photos.

Learn to use the camera you have. That's the most important thing. Get good lights and a good tripod and you're good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-11-02, 8:48pm
Covered in glitter

I have a Nikon D90. I use closeup lenses until I can get a macro lens. They were a lot cheaper! I also use a photo tent, lights and a tripod. One of the things that helps me is a remote thingy that focuses and takes the pic.

And those who were seen dancing were thought insane by those who couldn't hear the music. --Nietzsche
Old 2009-11-02, 9:44pm
And silence is golden

Just a little ole Canon Powershot A530. It does fine by me. I just need to work with it a bit more.

Old 2009-11-02, 9:57pm

I just got a Nikon D5000 which I'm still trying to figure out, but had a Sony Cybershot for the past 4 years. It didn't do a bad job, I just got to the point where I wanted more camera. I don't have a macro lens, but use close-up filters which as Deb said are way cheaper, and do a decent job.

Old 2009-11-03, 7:11am
ManBearPig

If you have a DSLR, the kit lens is all the lens you need.

Take a look at the photos on my web site - www.cosmoglassworks.com

They were all taken with a Canon EOS 300D with the stock 18-55 lens. In fact, all the photos in both of my books were taken with that same camera with the same setup as well. No need for closeup lenses, macro lenses, filters, or anything else.

Old 2009-11-03, 7:25am
Ready to hit the road

I like my Sony A-100 DSLR with a macro lense I bought off of Ebay. But just as important, I think, is to have a good lighting setup.

Old 2009-11-03, 6:23pm

I would recommend getting an D-SLR. I have never regretted buying mine. I use a Nikon D50 for work and personal stuff. It's only 6.1 mega pixels and stock lens but It works great.

I did by a lens attachment to take photos of real small things at work like Murrinies. It cost me like $15.

The important thing to do is take control of your camera. Learn how to shoot it with manual settings. There is a little bit of a learning curve. But once learn it, you will be so glad you did.

And another thing that really helps is to learn how to control the light and shadows with modifiers. I created a tutorial PDF on how to create your own light modifiers for just a few bucks.

It's not the Camera that takes the photo, it's the photographer.
Old 2009-11-03, 6:54pm
And silence is golden

Keith ~ I just visited your website. So much fun sliding my curser over your headings! Nice front page.

If anyone is curious about who Keith is, he is the gentleman who sends out the sale announcements for Frantz Art Glass. I'm sure he wears many hats at the company.
Old 2009-11-03, 7:08pm
In search of her path....

I love my fujifilm SD2000 its incredibly versatile and takes amazing photos.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2009-11-04, 4:05pm

Thank-you all for your input. Cosmo-your work and photos rock! Keith-great web site and info. Now all I have to do is get that great deal on the camera I want (A canon eos rebel T1i). Any ideas on reputable retailers? I only have Bestbuy(they suck) and Walmart(they suck more)-(at least the ones in my area do). Thanks for your help! Joan
Old 2009-11-06, 8:39pm
And silence is golden

You might try some online dealers.
Old 2009-11-07, 3:04pm

Thanks Aleta- I have been searching on line. I guess I just have to come to terms with the price. have a great weekend! Joan
Old 2009-11-08, 11:48pm
Salt Box Beads

I have a Canon Powershot A1000 IS. 10 mega pixels, Macro and 4X zoom.

It is one terrific little camera. I have a photo area set up with small lights and I have two photo suite programs on the puter' that I use a lot to help with the photos.

It all works together for me. I can't really do one without the other and get the results I want.
Old 2009-11-10, 8:26pm

Thanks Lorraine- Joan
Old 2010-01-08, 4:42pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 TOUCANS View Post
I have a Canon Powershot A1000 IS. 10 mega pixels, Macro and 4X zoom.

It is one terrific little camera. I have a photo area set up with small lights and I have two photo suite programs on the puter' that I use a lot to help with the photos.

It all works together for me. I can't really do one without the other and get the results I want.
I just got this camera to replace my old Canon Powershot A80. I love how small this one is in comparison, but half of my photos come out grainy. Any idea why? I love that it is mostly automatic b/c I don't know anything about photography.

Old 2010-01-09, 9:28am
Capp'in Fool

I have Canon powershot A2000 IS........Love it!

Old 2010-01-09, 9:11pm

Justjoan - Feel free to pm anyone whose photos you admire. I'm sure they will tell you what camera they use. That's what I did!

Old 2010-01-25, 9:48pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

Nicholbeth:

Check the ISO setting of your camera. Graininess will happen if it's 400 or above. Mine is set at 160.

Patsy

Ebay:
Old 2010-01-25, 9:55pm
Jacqueline Parkes

You would be shocked to hear I have a really old camera, Sony Mavica, only 1.2 mega pixels. The Sony guy laughed when he saw it last year when I brought it in to ask him a question. I told him off though. It does the job so what is the problem? That is exactly what I said to him.

Don't be a camera snob haha.

Anyways, it is really about lighting and making your equipment work for you.

Ya I am going to get a new camera when funds allow but I don't feel I HAVE to.

Old 2010-01-26, 7:24am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
You would be shocked to hear I have a really old camera, Sony Mavica, only 1.2 mega pixels. The Sony guy laughed when he saw it last year when I brought it in to ask him a question. I told him off though. It does the job so what is the problem? That is exactly what I said to him.

Don't be a camera snob haha.

Anyways, it is really about lighting and making your equipment work for you.

Ya I am going to get a new camera when funds allow but I don't feel I HAVE to.
Exactly. Some of the best photos I've seen came from an old 1.3mp Sony point and shoot. Everyone gets so caught up with having all these lenses they don't need and all this fancy lighting and expensive light tents and all that. My entire photo setup cost less than $30 (not including my camera, which I already had). You don't need special lights or anything. Mine are just plan $8 flood lights I bought at Lowe's. Using the basic bulbs that came in them. My light tent is made of PVC and a piece of white fabric.

If someone really wants to improve their photos, read your camera manual, and learn to shoot with your camera in "manual" mode. And go pick up a book on digital photography. Learn what all those little buttons and dials on your camera do before you go waste money on something you don't need.

Old 2010-01-26, 8:24am
No longer a Member

My camera is Sony Cybershot....cheap!

Takes excellent day AND GLOW pics!!!!! (I'm just not a good photographer...lol)

104 COE Bead make by Calvin Orr, Aiea, HI.
Attached Images

Last edited by Glow Joe; 2010-01-26 at 8:27am.
Old 2010-01-26, 9:45am
Jacqueline Parkes

When you say flood lights, what exactly do you mean? I have some blue flood lights that burn very hot but one has burnt out already. I am trying to find a local supplier for them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
Exactly. Some of the best photos I've seen came from an old 1.3mp Sony point and shoot. Everyone gets so caught up with having all these lenses they don't need and all this fancy lighting and expensive light tents and all that. My entire photo setup cost less than $30 (not including my camera, which I already had). You don't need special lights or anything. Mine are just plan $8 flood lights I bought at Lowe's. Using the basic bulbs that came in them. My light tent is made of PVC and a piece of white fabric.

If someone really wants to improve their photos, read your camera manual, and learn to shoot with your camera in "manual" mode. And go pick up a book on digital photography. Learn what all those little buttons and dials on your camera do before you go waste money on something you don't need.

Old 2010-01-27, 9:09am
ManBearPig

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
When you say flood lights, what exactly do you mean? I have some blue flood lights that burn very hot but one has burnt out already. I am trying to find a local supplier for them.
These:

http://www.lowes.com/pd_203198-1373-...roduct_price|1

Mine came with bulbs though...

Old 2010-04-14, 1:21pm
Torching since 2004

I use a Nikon D-40 and here is an example with the macro setting and the photo is not modified in any way:

Old 2010-04-15, 8:33am
Formerly Kellyhorton

mine was reccomended by someone on here, tons of great auto settings combined like macro/super micro with anti shake, its 10 pix, its hd. battery life is AMAZING!!!! Generic batteries last a month I swear. what you do is see everyones comments, go online and read the reviews.....

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-04-16, 10:07pm
HourGlass Studio

DPreview.com

Great site for camera and lense question. They review all the models and have a forum dedicated to each brand (Canon, Nikon etc) You can hear from real people what they like, dislike and even see some actual photos.

Take a bead to the camera store and test out what they are selling. Its a great way to try before you buy. I tested MANY cameras before I bought mine that way.

Old 2010-04-17, 7:07pm

Pardon the interruption; just getting spammers off the home page.