Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-02-28, 4:42pm
Formerly Kellyhorton

Default book for beginner digital photography

Can anyone recommend a beginner book for digital photography of all kinds, not just beads. Like exact help with certain scene types , bad lighting, etc. I know you can do alot with photo editing, but if I take the pic right the first time, i dont have to do all the editing. Mostly take pics of people, scenery, jewelry and beads. I found a bunch online, but wanted to ask here first. Im having a very hard time understanding aperture, shutter speed, etc. Yah, I admit, Im a slow learner, but dang....

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-02-28, 5:11pm
Wahwahbabypants

What camera do you have? If it's a DSLR there is a good chance there is a book written specifically for your camera. That's what I'd recommend you buy.

I might go Crazyif I don't go Crazy Tonight.
Old 2010-03-01, 6:19am

There is a really good tutorial that covers the basics of taking pictures of beads and it is available at a good price. It is written by Keith Hobbs (he is on LE) and it is priced at $12.95. It has an excellent description of aperture f-stop, shutter speed, and ISO "film" speed and their interlocking relationship. (www.BetterBeadShots.com)

Another good tutorial is the one by Kevan Aponte (also on LE). She has a tutorial on a CD that she sells on Etsy (http://www.etsy.com/shop/dancingstar...ion_id=5872319)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by fjbremer; 2010-03-01 at 6:22am. Reason: added web site
Old 2010-03-02, 5:10am
Formerly Kellyhorton

GET THIS... My camera has no manual settings for white light. I think you can change the shutter speed. I realized this after i read the manual. I have a finepix s2100 hd, fugifilm. the way they programmed this i think is to be user friendly. It has automatic settings mostly. Now that I figured out all the scenery shots i get better lighting at least...havent tried taking any bead photos yet, since the lighting in my house stinks. I will have to pull out my photo studio and see what I can do. this is suppose to be a fab camera...thing is, it does so many things, its hard for me to remember them all, but then again, it is a new camera, and ive only sat down and played with it once while reading the manual.

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK

In the '60's, people took acid to make the world weird. Now the world is weird and people take Prozac to make it normal.
Old 2010-03-04, 6:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyhorton View Post
GET THIS... My camera has no manual settings for white light.
I thought that sounded a little odd that it didn't have a custom white balance setting. So I did a little research on line to check out the camera specs. I found a good description of it on some eBay listing.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/FUJI-FinePix-S210...-/220543053042

There in the "Features & Specifications" it shows that the camera does have a manual white balance setting. I didn't see any icons on the camera that would give you access to the white balance. So chances are you may need to go into the "Menu" to set the white balance to custom.

It's not the Camera that takes the photo, it's the photographer.
Old 2010-03-19, 9:27am

The Digital Photography Book by Scott Kelby. he has 1,2,3. awsome books, easy to read, easy to follow with direct "recipes" on how to shoot a particular picture. $16.49 on amazon.com

Old 2010-03-21, 7:35am
Formerly Kellyhorton

You know what, your correct, and I did find the manual settings by accident. Yes, that tutorial www.betterbeadshots.com IS FABULOUS!!! THREE STARS!!!

MEAN PEOPLE SUCK