Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2010-04-09, 1:54pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Default Has anyone seen/used this photo light box?

I've been looking at this box for taking pictures of beads, it says it is perfect for objects less than 6". I was wondering if this is big enough for a strand of beads, or if something bigger would be needed? What do you think?

LA Shop Light Box

Thanks for any advice,
Cher

Last edited by ByCher; 2010-04-09 at 1:55pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-04-09, 3:02pm

It doesn't give you a lot of room for more than a few small things. What if you want to put in a few props, like drift wood, rocks, boxes with sand, etc. It might be very well made and do a great job for it's size, but it sure is pricey, even if it does include it's own lights.

Mike
Old 2010-04-09, 3:19pm

I think it's a bargain for all that stuff, but I tend to think 'props' distract mightily for beads. It's compact, comes with complete carrying case, heck, if I was taking a lot of pix I'd replace my current setup.
Old 2010-04-09, 3:21pm
Salt Box Beads

I started with a small one similar to it and quickly made my own much bigger..even for beads. Mine is 18X18X24.

I have pics of it here on LE or TB somewhere...cheap and easy to make from a cardboard box. I'd rather have the money for more tools or glass.

Lorraine
Old 2010-04-09, 3:25pm

You can get a nice light cube at Walmart for $40.00 It comes with its own case two lights and a small tri pode for your camera I use it alot and the sides can be removed to ad things. I think my pictures are very nice. My camera could be better . I think thats alot of money. I really think you could get the same results with the Walmart one.
Old 2010-04-09, 3:32pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

That's great advice. I didn't know Walmart had anything like a light box, I'll look for them tomorrow when I go out.

Thanks everyone!
Old 2010-04-09, 3:59pm

KEW, props, if used right, can do a lot to enhance and focus attention to what ever is the main object being photographed. For instance, showing a bead or pendent or other piece of jewlery by itself with a plain background will look like thousands of others done the same way. But add a few things that help bring out it's color and give it definition and it will stand out from a lot of others. If over done or a prop is used that competes with the item, then yes, it will detract. Props are just another tool that those that create items to sell can use to stand out from the crowd. But like your lights, camera, background, etc., you have to know what, how and when to use them.

This is why a larger light tent is better, because it gives more flexibility.

Mike
Old 2010-04-10, 11:03pm
FireDancer Glass

Tried to find it online at walmart but the one they show is either 74.00 or 140 something. Do they have more in the store than online?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Christy
Old 2010-04-11, 6:30am

My "photo studio" is from Harbor Freight... I have it in on a shelf on this computer desk and get excellent outside light in the am on a sunny day. It's less than twenty bucks.... just my two cents.

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-04-11, 9:38am
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

I think my problem is that I don't get any good light through my windows. The big windows in the house are shaded and the little windows just don't give enough light. I can't even get any plants to grow in the house. I've had really good luck with daylight bulbs though.
Old 2010-04-11, 11:55am

This is what the set I have consists of. It comes with the tent and two lights, one for each side of the tent. It also has the tripod that the camera will screw onto for stability. Oh and the white background can be turned over and it's navy blue on the other side. Ignore the mess, please and thanks. Just in case you are interested....

Sue
and the present is a gift.
Old 2010-04-11, 1:29pm

thats exactley what I got from Walmart in the store at the camera department. Mine has a black case. Very nice.
Old 2010-04-11, 9:08pm
FireDancer Glass

Sue...was yours from Walmart? Shellybeads, how much was it at Walmart and how long ago did you buy it? My Walmart is an hour away, so if there is a possibility they don't have them anymore....dont want to take the trip!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Christy
Old 2010-04-11, 9:14pm
FireDancer Glass

I am on their website and for the life of me cannot find it in their catalog?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue in Maine View Post
This is what the set I have consists of. It comes with the tent and two lights, one for each side of the tent. It also has the tripod that the camera will screw onto for stability. Oh and the white background can be turned over and it's navy blue on the other side. Ignore the mess, please and thanks. Just in case you are interested....

Sue

Christy
Old 2010-04-11, 9:46pm
To Bead Or Not To Bead

I have the same one as Sue, but paid a lot more for it than $20.00. I bought mine on Ebay. The only complaint I have with mine is that my mini tripods ball area wants to slide all of the time and it's is tightened down so tight, I'm afraid I'll break it eventually. I did remove the bottom part of the area of the tripod that attaches to the camera, so it would directly screw into my camera. It's much better now and could be that I just got a bum tripod.

Ebay:

Last edited by killerbeedz1; 2010-04-13 at 10:25pm.
Old 2010-04-12, 9:43am
Gentleman of Leisure

First thing that makes me shy away is the words "built in lights" ... This probably means you are stuck with whatever designer decides was adequate for use.... NOT..... "Built in" to me means lack of flexibility and use in way I can arrange lighting and back drops..... I would tend to go with a "system that is more flexible", ... Inexpensive (cheap) usually means you will realize its short comings and when it is to late to return, you will be laying out more money to get the "better' system you should have gotten in first place...

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-04-12 at 9:45am.
Old 2010-04-12, 11:55am
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Excellent advice everyone, I really appreciate it!
Old 2010-04-17, 7:46pm
FireDancer Glass

Wal-Mart does not carry their photo boxes anymore...been discontinued...I asked!

Christy
Old 2010-05-04, 2:57am
Cherine Perrin Glass

This is the one that I use too. I don't use the lights that came with it though. I use photobulbs in those metal light thingies from Lowes.

My Etsy shop: https://
face="Verdana">Facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/CherinePerrinLampwork/
Old 2010-05-05, 6:53am

I agree that having the lights 'arrangeable' is a must. I also have a light on the top of my box and one in front, if I think it needs it. Also, using daylight floursecent (sp?) bulbs are fairly inexpensive and can be used in any fixture, so you can get clamp on lamps or small desk lamps, or whatever, to use as your lights. Mine are clamp-ons but I just have them resing on the table, and I like the fact that they have reflectors.

I made my 'box' from etched pieces of glass I took out of picture frames and it works very well. I like having a larger inside area than the box you show from The LA Shop. Even if the item you are photographing is small, getting your hands inside and arranging things takes some room. Also, I like having a removable top so I can suspend items from the top if I need to. I photograph my earrings using a pieces of chain that hangs from side to side on my cube, then hang the earrings on the chain. I really like being able to take the top off and add the chain for that if I need to.

My original light tent was a pop-up laundry hamper, a cylindrical one. I liked it except it was very large and the wire that made it stay open would sometimes show in the highly reflective bead. Not good. . .

My biggest expense was the light bulbs, and I probably paid about $12 for them. They've come down in price since then, I've noticed. . . I had to buy some clamp-on lamps, so that was probably another $10. I already had the glass for the sides and the etching cream, so that only took a bit of work, and some clear tape to tape the sides together.

Good luck!
Tina