Lampwork Etc.

Mountain Glass Arts

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2006-04-16, 7:46am
on hiatus...

Default Photo critique

Hello! I'm preparing images for a juried show. I think I'm getting old an senile and I feel like one of those folks who sits down at the computer for the first time and i just can't get "it" in regards to clear pictures. I'm posting my latest pic here for your advice. Please feel free to point out what I need to change.

I have a Sony DSC S85. I tried turning the macro off and backing the camara up - but those pictures were REALLY blurry. They are better with the macro.. but I could have my settings all off moving from macro on and off.

I can manually change the aperature and shutter speed etc.. but not sure which ones to change in what direction. I've been reading the manual - so I know which control is which.. but that's about it.

I have a tripod, and am using regular white light bulbs. 60watt.

thank you for looking and I appreciate your time and help.

ps.. I'm using a photo editor Paint Shop Pro 9.. I switched from Adobe professional verson

Old 2006-04-16, 8:01am
Satake Woman!

The picture looks a bit blurry to me. I would suggest taking 5 to 10 different pictures of it with different f-stops and shutter speeds. Then you can pick out the combo that works best for you. Just be sure to keep track of which picture goes with which combo.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-04-16, 1:44pm

Cute bracelet, but I agree, a bit blurry to me as well.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2006-04-16, 6:49pm
on hiatus...

Am I going in the right direction? I think my camera may not get the results I need. I noticed today that the settings on the dial are off.. the setup feature is actual the manual mode, the manual mode is actually the review setting. No wonder I'm getting frustrated.

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2006-04-16 at 11:54pm.
Old 2006-04-16, 7:35pm
Satake Woman!

The right hand side one is definitely a sharper image. Now do a little fixing up in Photoshop or something like that and you will be all set!

Satake glass in stock and ready for you!
Old 2006-04-16, 8:38pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Just an added thought, when doing your pics for slides, make sure you don't crop too close to the edges as the slides will "cut" into your beads. You also might want to just moce the floral bead up a tad to show it is a floral, we all know it is, but jury's can se really stupid!
Cute bracelet!
Edie
Old 2006-04-16, 9:51pm
on hiatus...

thanks so much for your responses. I'll keep working on it. : ) I hate it, but I'll do it. : )
Old 2006-04-16, 11:25pm
on hiatus...

Ok, here's a different image... I tried to whiten the background in photoshop.
Old 2006-04-17, 1:11am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Do you use your white balance in your camera, ususally its the 'WB' icon. Use it and you'll get the background really white. Use the 'preset' white balance. Hope this helps.

You can also change the level in the editing program, level 1, click the white icon, and then click on the picture. I hope you know what I mean.

Old 2006-04-17, 1:12am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Beautiful bracelet by the way!

Old 2006-04-17, 4:34am
on hiatus...

Thanks for the feedback and your compliments!

Regarding WB, yes I use the manual white balance - mainly because the automatic feature is worse. Currenlty I'm using soft white light bulbs and I'm thinking a "daylight" light bulb would help with this problem. That's the next thing I'm going to work on.

The last pictures I worked on lastnight I was able to get a whiter background through the photo editor.
Old 2006-04-17, 4:50am
In search of her path....

try a grey or charcoal black background I think your colors will pop much better the white is washing out somf of the softer mute colors. Use Scrapbooking paper mmake sure it does NOT have a glossy finish...it really helps with my boro beads to get them to pop...you also may want to try a small lil table top tripod to help steady your camera.

Prints for sale in my
!
Old 2006-04-17, 5:03am
on hiatus...

thanks! I'm using a very soft gray paper, but I'll try a darker one - there were some darker sheets in the pack. I have it sitting on a full size tripod... you suggest a table-top is better?
Old 2006-04-17, 5:09am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Yep, I use foam greay background for muted colors. They are hard to photograph. Gr..

Old 2006-04-17, 5:11am
Maria B @ Indone6ix

Oh, and I like full size tripod better. I tried the tabletop, it limit my freedom.

Old 2006-04-17, 6:31am
on hiatus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by born2snooze
Yep, I use foam greay background for muted colors. They are hard to photograph. Gr..

Great idea! fun website and beautiful designs. Karin your boro beads really do pop on the darker background - great combination!

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2006-04-17 at 6:40am.
Old 2006-04-17, 4:46pm

check out my tut. Fastest way to better photography, Level tut. If you understand levels in your photo editing software. you can really make your photo shine.

ESTY
Old 2006-04-17, 5:26pm
on hiatus...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanner Studios
check out my tut. Fastest way to better photography, Level tut. If you understand levels in your photo editing software. you can really make your photo shine.

Hi, I was very excited about learning the levels and read it several times..... but just can't get it.

I found the histogram in the photoediting software, but when I moved the points my picture would go to extreme colors.

I'll take a snapshot of what I'm doing so that you can see. Thanks so much for taking time to comment. I would really like to understand it better.

Steph

Last edited by Steph'sBeadCorner; 2006-04-17 at 5:54pm.
Old 2006-04-17, 5:51pm
Formerly known as LT

I think a different background and a tripod would make a big difference. When I was getting to know my new camara I would take many different pics and try to make a note of each setting. I love your bracelet!! Good luck with the the show.
Old 2006-04-17, 8:13pm

Steph, were you changing your color's in the individual color channels or in the over all RGB channel ? If it was the individual channel. the color will go crazy until you set all channels. For example if you set the red channel it will look really bad. Then when you set the green channel it will become off the chart, but when you finish setting the blue channel it should all come together. Try setting your contrast in the RGB channal (That's your main problem) not color balance. Post what you have on my tut. If I can see your problem maybe I can help. ( photo's, the software you are using. that kinda thing ) .
much love
Scott
P.S LT has a great point. All but the back ground ( if you want to shoot on white then learn to shoot on white). But a Tripod and making notes are a big deal! let me say that again. LT's point about tripod and notes ...HUGE!....

ESTY

Last edited by Tanner Studios; 2006-04-17 at 8:28pm.
Old 2006-04-18, 7:23am
on hiatus...

Quote:
Steph, were you changing your color's in the individual color channels or in the over all RGB channel ?
ahhh...guilty as charged.

Quote:
If it was the individual channel. the color will go crazy until you set all channels.
ah ha.. ok..

Quote:
Try setting your contrast in the RGB channal (That's your main problem) not color balance. Post what you have on my tut. If I can see your problem maybe I can help. ( photo's, the software you are using. that kinda thing ) .
Yes, this is what I will try next!

Quote:
P.S LT has a great point. All but the back ground ( if you want to shoot on white then learn to shoot on white). But a Tripod and making notes are a big deal! let me say that again. LT's point about tripod and notes ...HUGE!....
yes sir!