Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > The Dark Room

The Dark Room -- Photo Editing and Picture Taking. Advice, tutorials, questions on all things photoshop, photo editing, and taking pictures of beads or glass.

Old 2007-01-31, 11:39am
Feuer,Flamme and Tattoo's

Default Photoshop or what else is out there?

Hi
I have started to slowly set up my bead photo's but like so many said before it looks good on here but not on ebay or anywhere else.
I am thinkin of investing in a "Photoshop" program, but to me it get's confusing which one to get and whats the latest or better program out there.
Prices are also to be considered.
any help be greatly appreciated, since I want to buy it right now......

Katja
Old 2007-01-31, 11:50am
phrit phreak

I have PhotoShop elements..it's a downsize version of Photoshop...much easier to use. and it's ALOT cheaper!!

lori

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2007-01-31, 12:20pm

Thanks Lori
will look into it
Katja
Old 2007-01-31, 12:29pm

Before you invest in a program, have you looked a free IrfanView? I have a variety of photo editing programs that I paid for, but often come back to the simplicity of IrfanView. http://www.irfanview.com/

-debbi

Ginko Beads
Old 2007-01-31, 12:41pm
Missing presumed fed

PaintShopPro is a program that's nearly as powerful as full-blown Photoshop, and it's a whole lot cheaper, BUT (this is a big BUT) compared to Photoshop, almost nobody uses it, so there are almost no manuals or tutorials. Mostly you have to read tutorials that are done for Photoshop and kind of translate them into the terminology that PSP uses, which is similar but not identical.

Unless you're a professional, Photoshop Elements is probably what you want (and if you're a professional, you probably wouldn't be asking.) What you DO want to do is to make friends with someone who has the full version of Photoshop, because there's one thing that Elements won't do that you might want to do. When you're in Elements, you're going to be working in RGB (red green blue) color, which is basically the primary colors from light. The primary colors that are used in professional printing inks are different -- cyan, magenta, yellow, and black -- abbreviated as CMYK. If you're submitting an image for printing, they may want the image submitted in CMYK color. Elements images are in RGB, and Elements doesn't do the conversion. Full Photoshop does. It's an easy conversion, unless you don't like the way the automatic conversion makes your image look and you want to tweak it.

(CMYK images don't come out looking exactly the same as RGB images, which is why the printing places may want you to do the conversion rather than doing it themselves. They've probably had too many customers whine about the results.)
Old 2007-02-01, 6:15am
Made in the Shade

I've been using Gimp Shop. It is a free program. I am just learning it, but it is very similar to Adobe PhotoShop but it's free.

http://www.gimp.org/

Old 2007-02-01, 6:18am
Crazy tool making guy....

Word to The GIMP! There are books out there on how to use it. It's the most powerful photo editor you can get for free. And for basic photo editing, it is just as easy as anything else.

-Jeff
Old 2007-02-01, 6:59am

You got thirds on gimp. It'll do anything that I can think of that folks like us need to do and the price is right.
Old 2007-02-04, 4:58am
Bitten by the travel bug

Quote:
Originally Posted by tajones1463 View Post
I've been using Gimp Shop. It is a free program. I am just learning it, but it is very similar to Adobe PhotoShop but it's free.

http://www.gimp.org/
also, there is a gimphack (legal, as its open source software) that came out last year that adjust all the toolbars etc to be the same as photoshop. Very andy if you have used photoshop and are switching to imp for cost reasons.

Old 2007-02-04, 10:33am
Mr Brutus RIP

Question to Gimp users.......can you put your name into the photo? Or how is that done?
I use picasa2 which is free and I like it but I want my name in my pic and dont' know how or if I can do it on there.
anyone know?
Thanks!!
sue

Old 2007-02-22, 12:24pm
Still strange and unusual

Shawnette recommended PhotoFiltre and I must say I love it!
Here's the site
http://www.photofiltre.com/
It is French but there is English translation and lots of mods,filters and such.
Oh and FREE

Donna Jo

Bitterness is a dead end. Hatred hurts no one more than he who harbored it.
The wine of alienation is loneliness. ~ Dean Koontz -Strangers

Old 2007-02-22, 1:15pm
formerly Marella

I use Corel Paintshop Pro X and find it very good. I initially got it as a 30 day free trial download and then purchased it for about $70.
I find it does everything I want...except extracting pixels of a particular colour is more difficult than Photoshop.

You could download the trial and see if it is a good program for you. The help section is comprehensive. If you need any help let me know.

Marella

www.brilliantbeads.net
Brilliant Beads
Old 2007-02-22, 1:18pm

If you use a Mac, Graphic Converter is good. http://www.lemkesoft.com/

The software designer even responds personally, LOL!

J.
"Hatred is never ended by hatred but by love, and a misunderstanding is never ended by argument but by tact, diplomacy, conciliation, and a sympathetic desire to see the other person's viewpoint." ~The Buddha | “We are all humans and none of us is more human than the other.” Romeo Dallaire "Never look down on anybody unless you're helping him up." ~ Rev.Jesse Jackson]
Old 2007-03-06, 4:27pm

Thanks guy's, but for now my camera drowned in the rain, so that leaves me more time to research all your helpful tips.

Katja
Old 2007-03-07, 11:26am
Spinning sand

Paint.net is an option too. It is free also, and has very good features similar to Photoshop.
Old 2007-03-17, 3:57pm

Default Photo edit programs. Faststone

Faststone has several programs and they are very good and free.

Try FastStone Image Viewer 3.0

http://www.faststone.org/
Old 2007-03-26, 6:52am

Photoshop Elements here. I'm going to check out Gimp.

(website in construction)
Old 2007-04-06, 10:43pm

Default AcdSee Pro

I have the full blown version of Photoshop cs-2 or something like that. It is a really great program with lots of lots of stuff you can do. Only problem Idon't have lots and lots of time to learn it. They do have a couple of training videos called total training I got but no time to play with it right now.

I downloaded at this site a free month trial http://www.acdsee.com/products/acdseepro/index
It is a very good program.
Right now I use it instead of photoshop its easier for me.
Download a free trial and try it.

Tom
www.picturetrail.com/tomsfoolery
Old 2007-04-12, 9:44pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassymom View Post
Question to Gimp users.......can you put your name into the photo? Or how is that done?
I use picasa2 which is free and I like it but I want my name in my pic and dont' know how or if I can do it on there.
anyone know?
Thanks!!
sue
Add a layer, transparent, on top of the image. Then put the text on the new layer. That should do it.

And I add my vote for Gimp and Irfanview. Been using both for years, seldom need anything else.
Old 2007-04-13, 6:58am
unique porcelain beads

Default Photo editing program

My suggestion would be Web Image Guru. This is an economical program that is packed with features and it does the best job of compressing and optimizing photos for the web of any program I have seen. It does great images that are in much smaller file sizes than photoshop and it will work as a plugin to photoshop so if you have photoshop you can do part of the work there and then move to web image guru. It does a great job on its own though too and has one of the best sharpen filters I've run into. You can download it for a free 14 day trial too. http://vimas.com If you want the quick and dirty cheat sheet for how I use it email me off list and I'll send you a cheat sheet that I did up for it that has step by step how to process an image from camera to web.

Marsha
Old 2007-04-13, 9:04am
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

I own and use a full version of Photoshop, but for web posting I exclusively use Irfanview. It's simple and intuitive and will resize and resample quickly. It's free: http://www.tucows.com/preview/194967 .
Old 2007-04-13, 10:13pm

After all this time and a new camera i am finally back searching. Today I found a Microsoft Picture It 10 on my own pc. I have been playing with it for a couple of hours and i think if could work for now.
here's a picture
thanks for all the advice
Katja
I added text but could not remove it lol
Attached Images

Old 2007-05-02, 4:42am

I have Photoshop CS2, ACDSEE.
ACDSEE for the money is very good
For free the Faststone product are very good. Look at all of their products.
http://www.faststone.org/index.htm
I realy like FastStone Capture. It is not a photo editing program but is is very good.
Old 2007-05-28, 4:50am

Hi guys,
my first post in here...

I use Paint Shop Pro Xl to fix color, background-bugs, picture details and so on.

For correcting the dimension of these pics and stamping them in one step, I like to use JoJo-Thumb. You can automatically set a compilation of pics with a couple of mouse clicks with a lot of features to the same dimension or size ...and with a stamp on it.

... and...JoJo-Thumb is a freeware

Please be patient with me...English isnīt my native language

Old 2007-06-21, 7:35am
The Andrea Half

Kalexa, to remove the text, just delete the layer. Every time you add text the program adds a different layer--if you just open the layers menu and drag that layer to the little trash can icon, you'll delete the associated text.

Old 2007-06-21, 7:39am
Maker of Famous Burn Gel

I just found FastStone Image Viewer though an email from PCWorld...it has been mentioned above...I tried it for about 10 minutes and doesn't seem to have much of a learning curve!! Yippee!! It must be the newer version...dated 3/07...
pat
Old 2008-01-15, 2:17am

corel user here have photo shop but hate working with the layers thing