Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2007-12-19, 5:28pm
Just me

Default Recipes for encased floral bases- any ideas to share?

I am monkeying around with florals again and need some ideas for bases to put florals on.
I usually do an aventurine frit base for sparkle, have done some vine cane and am getting kinda bored. Wanna try something new.

So.....Have any cool recipes to share?

ETA: I make encased floral focals.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Bubbyanne; 2007-12-19 at 6:27pm.
Old 2007-12-19, 5:30pm
sunscreen me baby

What kind of florals are you talking about? The big round encased ones?

~

Old 2007-12-19, 5:31pm
Just me

Yeah, it would've been nice to clarify that huh? I usually make encased floral focals.

Old 2007-12-19, 5:33pm
geekitude on two wheels

how about leaves? make 5 dots in a group, then rake them to make a bunch of leaves. Repeat around the bead.
Old 2007-12-19, 5:36pm
sunscreen me baby

Too bad, I don't make those. So I'm no help

~

Old 2007-12-19, 5:53pm

I like any color that contrasts with the flowers. The sharper the contrast the better!
Old 2007-12-19, 6:14pm

I have a green frit called "Amazon" that I like to use.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2007-12-19, 7:37pm

You could go for complicated

Thin black barrel
Vine cane, melt in, encase thinly
leaf cane, melt in, encase thinly
first layer of 3-5 dot poked flowers, encase lightly
put in some roses, encase and done.

That gives it lots of depth, but it takes a while.
Old 2007-12-20, 12:31pm
Floral Obsessed

I like to use lots of silver in my bases. I almost always go: thin barrel, silver, frit, vine, encase, flowers, encase. The combinations are endless!

Black is always a good way to go, and of course it takes silver beautifully. Try melting in the silver, reducing slightly before adding frit, then reduce a bit again before encasing. You can get gorgeous blue halos that way. It's different every time!

I also like turquoise with petroleum green frit, or vice versa. The colours concentrate into a dappled, lagoon-like look when you heat them. It's a great base for red or white flowers.

Just be careful of trying orange or red (or any Special colour) bases. They actually have a slightly higher COE and won't take encasing very well - they could crack. It works if you apply a thin layer of the Special colour over a small clear base, though. I like Red Roof Tile with mixed brown frits and goldstone latticino.

Have fun!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons

Last edited by Heather/Ericaceae; 2007-12-20 at 12:33pm.
Old 2007-12-20, 9:54pm
Just me

Thank you everyone for your ideas I have lots of stuff to try now!

Thanks Heather, I was hoping you'd chime in with some tips. Your beads always have such interesting bases. I didn't know about the red and orange, will keep it in mind!
Ohh I bet the RRT you described would be pretty!

Old 2007-12-21, 1:12am

I don't have a picture but I made a fab floral base with spring green then wrapped with fine stringer of a 'silver' glass (might have been rocio or picasso, but any will do) then raked end for end into feathers, reduced and encased to 'pop' the colours. Makes a lovely blue/green base for pale flowers.

I could have sold that bead 5 times over!
Old 2007-12-21, 9:45am
Floral Obsessed

I just checked my Beadartist gallery and I actually explain most of my bases, in true nerdy fashion! You can really see how different the silvered black bases turn out each time. I use that one a lot.

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-12-21, 12:40pm
Anna Duhame

This is so easy that I am almost embarrassed to share it, but I really do love the fluid look it gets....and I highly recommend the product!

It is French Tarragon frit and this is where you get it:

http://glassdiversions.com/frit/frenchtarragon.html

I just roll it on and rake it...

It is also excellent for landscapes!

Old 2007-12-21, 10:01pm
Just me

one hot beader-that sounds really pretty. I will have to see if I have those silver glasses you mentioned. If not I have others I can try.

Lol Heather!- I have been all over your Beadartist gallery, more than a few times I confess, and never noticed the descriptions. I haven't seen beyond the beads!

Anna-What a lovely bead! Good thing is I have that frit too! I'm going to try it!

I need to print all these ideas out because I'm making beads tomorrow!
Thanks again for all your ideas!

Old 2007-12-21, 10:21pm
Just me

Oh how pretty Kimberly!
I had forgotten you make such lovely encased florals since you became the seahorse queen. Lol!
I am going to try this!

Old 2007-12-22, 7:53am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

If you are looking for some new sparkle - have you tried a little dicro over the base shape and then layer from there???? I'm far from expert, but it gives great depth & sparkle......

Old 2008-01-04, 3:02pm

Smile Encased Florals

I have had a lot of success with copper leaf. Start with a barrel of white, roll in copper leaf (I don't bother to burnish, it will only stick to the hotter parts of the bead), then I lightly encase in pale aqua and then make the rest of your floral bead as you would with any other base. It turns out to be a beautiful green/teal color with little bubbles. Cheers Tara.
Old 2008-01-04, 4:29pm

Hi!
I like my florals to "sit" on grass, so I make a kind of bead we call "lamellae-bead" in German. I don't know the proper term in English - sorry. I'll just show you a pic:

But you can't see the lamellae properly here, so I'll show you another one:

Hope you see what I mean.

Regards, Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-01-05, 9:19am

I use Iris green frit for the background, then copper green stringer for the vines. The copper green reacts to the frit and looks pretty cool. I haven't tried encasing one like this but it's worth a try...

This one is my avatar...

Old 2008-01-05, 3:20pm

Afina, those look alot like pleated beads in your base. From the Tondodama Japanese book. Pretty
Old 2008-01-05, 3:33pm

Thanks Pat, that is the term I was looking for! I love doing them!
Verena

Fritblends in COE 104:
Old 2008-01-07, 4:17am
Hello?

My favorite is a simple one, clear base encased in trans red with amber flowers.

This one took me forever to do, almost two hours. Total of 4 layers.

~Joe~

Last edited by AvenueBeads; 2008-01-07 at 4:20am.
Old 2008-01-07, 5:45am
Gimme that silver glass!

Good tips here! Beautiful bead Joe!

MY NEW E-TUTORIAL:

Old 2008-01-07, 7:25am
Rose colored glasses…√

Okay, I want to purchase someone else's stamen cane...it's crazy cool, and I'm crazy lazy.

OMG I listed some stuff!!! Little devils ARE ice skating!!!

RIP Sunday; You can donate for Izzy's Future Trust @:

Live kindly...'cause karma will bite you in the ass harder than you ever thought about nibblin'...
Old 2008-01-07, 12:54pm
Hello?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissij View Post
Okay, I want to purchase someone else's stamen cane...it's crazy cool, and I'm crazy lazy.
Your in luck, I just listed a stamen cane in my etsy store

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=8788122

~Joe~

Old 2008-01-07, 4:42pm

I am a purple freak so I like to use a frit called bluish amethyst from Kugler a lot. I use it on white, CIM lapis, Thai orchid. I also like one of Val Cox's frits that has a lot of pink in it. I often do a silver color that reduces and put in swipe of dichro or silver mesh too. I think transparent bases look really cool too. I use Hades quite a bit.

For petals I like using rubino over opal yellow (I put thick rubino over opal yellow and make cane and then put that on white dots and the newer transparent dark violet over white or lavender. I also like Cezanne and Michelangelo over pearl grey dots. Those are my favorite petal colors other than just plain white. Oh, I also like to put topaz over opal yellow for the cane and put that over a light pink dot. I haven't been able to find a really deep red. If I use a white dot with red transparent, it isn't dark enough. If I use bordello, it is brown. If I use a red dot with red on top, you can't see the transparent really. What do you guys do for really deep red petals?

Great ideas. I love the suggestions here.

Last edited by Rachel; 2008-01-07 at 4:44pm.
Old 2008-01-10, 3:10pm

Rachel. I've used red moretti with striking red over it. It just crimson.
Old 2008-01-10, 7:45pm
addicted to dichro

I put dichro in almost every single one of the beads I make, but I especially love using it for the base of encased florals.
Attached Images

Old 2008-01-10, 8:26pm
Pyromaniac

Mandy those are absolutely lickable!!!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-01-10, 8:42pm

Oh Yeah...Purty!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !