TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

View Poll Results: How do you light your torch??
Sparker 147 40.72%
Plastic Butane Lighter 111 30.75%
Zippo 22 6.09%
Matches 52 14.40%
Something else I'm not thinking of 29 8.03%
Voters: 361. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2007-12-21, 4:03pm
Anna Duhame

My sparker works perfectly every time. I used to use a bbq lighter without problems...the sparker took a little getting used to, but now it is even easier than the bbq lighter ever was.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-22, 9:43am

I now use a striker. I used a lighter for a long time and when it ran out of juice I started using the striker ive had for years...Now i dont seem to be afraid of it and its VERY easy to use for me.

Old 2007-12-22, 10:01am
Sheila

I use a striker I got at Home Depot and it's easy for me to use but it did take some practice. I took a class a couple of months ago at Glasscraft, and had difficulty with their strikers. The textured strip inside mine is different, so I can totally see why some people have had trouble. Try a few different brands and you'll find one that works for you.

Old 2007-12-23, 1:18pm
Don't be a zombie...

Only 18 people use a zippo????? Seriously....
Old 2007-12-23, 1:44pm

...I just use a welding sparker. Learned to use one years ago while learning to weld, no biggie.
Old 2007-12-23, 2:09pm
Burning Fingers!

Wooden matches. Light the match, put the matches away, turn on the propane. Neat and simple.

/
/
/

Old 2007-12-24, 11:05pm
I speak Murrini!

I'm on a Hot Head - using a Sparker. I actually HATE IT, and am considering some other form of lighting my torch. I once turned on the gas, and tried 5 or 6 times to get the spark to ignite it. Little did I know at the time that the gas is a "heavy" gas, and had done some "cascading" downward from the torch head...when it finally did spark, there was quite a POOF! I work on a chair with wheels and automatically pushed myself backward and away from the bench...lucky for me! There was quite an ignition ball of glass, and had I not backed away from it so quickly, it could have caught my clothes, hair or nails! I still am using the Sparker, but if it doesn't light on the first 2 or 3 quick tries, I turn the Torch off, let the gas disburse, and try again. I wasn't afraid before, but it always spooks me now!

Maybe I'll try that "used up BBQ lighter" idea.

DeAnne in CA

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2007-12-25, 5:35am

Hi, DeAnne ~ make sure that you have the sparker slightly down below the head of the torch. The cup is for the gas to accumulate.

Old 2007-12-26, 9:52am
Irish Eyes A Smiling

It's a striker for me......as I'm not a smoker, I have a bit of a lighter use challenge.....but I think it's more likely that it's because that's the way I learned to light the torch in my first experience with glass.

Old 2007-12-26, 10:24am
It's all about the color.

I voted for something you didn't mention. I use a BBQ long butane lighter - technically a butane lighter, but much longer. Immediately after use it's covered with a kevlar sleeve and set to the side. I have 4 of the sleeves so even if I remember to use them, I can still cover my lighter and cover the holes on my hothead so I can reduce.

(If the link doesn't work, edit the s out of your browser. It should be "http" not "https" Sometimes LE put in an S just for the heck of it.)

Old 2007-12-26, 10:16pm

I have a couple old bics that have been empty for years. They're so easy to use.

Chris

Old 2007-12-27, 12:03am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I use a magnifying lens and the sun.

Or a 17th century tinder pistol.

I like to keep it old school.
I don't laugh out loud a lot Kevan but somehow it always seems to be you that causes it! LOL

I use the power of my mind usually but when the brain voltage is low, I use a striker I got when I bought my setup. It must be a good one as it always works perfectly and I like that fact that my fingers are well away from the eventual flame. I smoke and often used to have a lighter in my bra but one day a piece of hot glass flicked off a bead I was cutting and landed right in the middle of my bra. I managed to grab it with tweezers just before it burnt through onto my stomach. Now that bra has a little heart hole edged with seed beads and I don't carry a lighter there anymore.

Kym

Last edited by Kym; 2007-12-27 at 12:13am. Reason: mm
Old 2007-12-30, 11:03am
Borovangelist

I go back and forth between the sparker and the bbq lighter those these days I'm more likely to grab the sparker, it's just there on the bench with me

I have a zippo around but a) I can never seem to keep fuel in the thing and b) I don't like having my fingers that close when I'm lighting the torch. I've had a couple of small fireballs m myself when learning to light it and try to avoid them!

|
|
Old 2008-01-01, 5:19pm
oxygen deprived

Yeah, I used to use a BBQ lighter ("it'll never happen to me, no way...") until one day I left it on the bench and melted a big chunk of the plastic by putting a hot rod on it. Fortunately, I grabbed the rod before it melted through to the butane chamber.

That was the day I threw the lighter out... and switched to a striker. Yeah, it's annoying, but I like myself unexploded.

(no beads for sale yet - but some pics of old work)
Old 2008-01-01, 7:05pm

bic lighter. Always. just put it away when you are done. And someone mentioned in their bra.. when you work larger and your chest gets hot enough to melt the screenprinting.. not a good idea

Old 2008-01-02, 12:19pm

I use the wood kitchen matches. I am way to absent minded to do the lighter thing! I don't need the extra danger.

Old 2008-01-02, 5:30pm
Hey ma I'm on South Park

I use a vintage zippo and matches in a pinch
the zippo is safer because the fuel isn't compressed
Old 2008-01-26, 3:02pm
Scientific Glass Girl

thats awesome this thread is still looked at.

i personally feel that a BBQ lighter is equally as dangerous as a bic lighter. both are fueled with butane and will explode if hit with glass. i don't see why using a butane lighter isn't taken seriously. the only safe "lighter" would be a zippo. strikers are so convenient when you learn how to use them.

Old 2008-01-26, 6:11pm

sparker!!

steph
Old 2008-01-26, 6:51pm
Does it come in purple?

I use a variety of flint striker, it's got a long handle and you squeeze the trigger *voila* a spark! It's made by Coleman, I think it's designed for lighting camping stoves. I have a traditional welding striker too but this one is really easy to use. Check the camping supply stores. It looks like one of those butane bbq lighters but it's all metal and uses a flint.

Carlisle Hellcat, OGSI generator, propane
Old 2008-01-28, 8:04pm

We use a empty lighter just flick it and it sparks The sparkers seem to be hard to light and then they drop flint on to the worktop, which is really frustrating to press glass onto
Just my 2 cents

Old 2008-07-07, 9:38am
product of the universe

Striker or a lighter whichever is closer

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-07-07, 4:12pm
PyronamixK

I use my kiln and a wad of paper towels. It works great for testing the ventilation, too.

Just kidding!

Lately, I have been bad and have been using a BBQ lighter - BUT, I put it on top of my ventilation box or to the side of it as soon as I light the torch and never have it in the box where hot glass could get to it.
Old 2008-07-07, 7:12pm
Back to 👊 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by one-eared pig View Post
I use a Bic lighter, and put it in my back pocket after lighting.
Ditto, glad I'm not the Lone Ranger on that one!