Old 2007-12-21, 11:50am

Default organic beads

what does organic bead mean????
thanks
Olivia

still learning --i hope
Old 2007-12-21, 12:12pm
Anna Duhame

That's what I think of as organic too , as if found in nature.

Kimberly makes some of the most amazing organics that I have ever seen!

Take a look at these, Olivia: http://www.naosglass.com/ . These are Amber's --she does "organic" very well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2007-12-21, 12:35pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

When I make a round bead and it comes out looking like a badly
formed buttermilk biscuit....then it's organic.

When I "experiment" with bright festive colors, and the bead ends up
looking like something that I forgot in the back of the fridge
last December....then it's organic.

When that nice smooth surface comes out all pitted and grainy...then it's organic.

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-12-21, 12:49pm
Entropy increasing....

To me, organic means a bead that is made by using the nature of the glass when in a liquid state to move and react according to it's nature as opposed to sculpting it or creating a uniform design.

This would be organic -

This would not be -

And I guess I'm the opposite from Kimberly, I find organics more relaxing than encased florals. Which is why I don't make encased florals, I guess. lol
Old 2007-12-21, 12:57pm

wow thanks guys i am leaning soooooo much from all or you i know nothing about this and terminology is really getting me but i will keep learning -i better i have already spent a looooooooot of money
thanks
Olivia
all the beads are so pretty
Old 2007-12-21, 2:11pm
Floral Obsessed

Organics are fun - especially when you're learning because there's no "right" and "wrong"! It's a great way to experiment with how colours react together. Here are some colour theory tips to get you going...

Copper Family: Turquoise, all greens (especially copper green, mosaic green and petroleum green), sky blue, EDP (254 orchid purple), and rubino all have copper, silver, and/or gold in them. They play well with each other no matter how much you heat them (well, the EDP might not always play well but that's because the E stands for EVIL). They also take silver leaf without going black.

Sulfur Family: Ivory, red, yellow, orange, and most browns contain sulfur to make their warm colours. You can mix these colours together as hot as you like and you won't get swampy muck. Silver leaf will darken them quite a lot.

Now, when you mix colours from the Copper and Sulfur families together you get crisp black outlines if you just melt them together. (Ivory and Turquoise look very cool this way!) But if you get them *really* hot for a long time, you get swampy brown muck.

Non-Aligned Family: Violets, cobalt, black, periwinkle, white, gray, and opal yellow are "non-aligned" families and they can mix with any colour without the outline effect.

So if you want to play around with hot swirling a bead it's best to stick with one family and non-aligned colours - OR, add the colour from the opposing family as a final step, so it doesn't have time to react too much.

Intense black is fun to play with in organics - add random stripes over a soft base, like ivory, pea green or periwinkle, and then super-heat it until it starts to spread into delicate veins. Silver leaf or foil is also always very fun - but only use that if you have a very good exhaust fan. Try making silvered ivory stringer and adding that to beads - it looks very rocky! Enamels are fun too, but again, you need great ventilation so any particles that get suspended in the air are sucked away immediately and not breathed in.

Have fun!

Nov. 2003-Nov 2005 --> QuietTorch, 1lb MAPP ::
:: Nov. 2005-May 2007 --> Piranha, NG, 1 Solaris oxycon ::
:: May 2007-Present --> Piranha, NG, 2 Solaris oxycons
Old 2007-12-21, 2:38pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather/Ericaceae View Post
Organics are fun - especially when you're learning because there's no "right" and "wrong"! It's a great way to experiment with how colours react together. Here are some colour theory tips to get you going...

Copper Family: Turquoise, all greens (especially copper green, mosaic green and petroleum green), sky blue, EDP (254 orchid purple), and rubino all have copper, silver, and/or gold in them. They play well with each other no matter how much you heat them (well, the EDP might not always play well but that's because the E stands for EVIL). They also take silver leaf without going black.

Sulfur Family: Ivory, red, yellow, orange, and most browns contain sulfur to make their warm colours. You can mix these colours together as hot as you like and you won't get swampy muck. Silver leaf will darken them quite a lot.

Now, when you mix colours from the Copper and Sulfur families together you get crisp black outlines if you just melt them together. (Ivory and Turquoise look very cool this way!) But if you get them *really* hot for a long time, you get swampy brown muck.

Non-Aligned Family: Violets, cobalt, black, periwinkle, white, gray, and opal yellow are "non-aligned" families and they can mix with any colour without the outline effect.

So if you want to play around with hot swirling a bead it's best to stick with one family and non-aligned colours - OR, add the colour from the opposing family as a final step, so it doesn't have time to react too much.

Intense black is fun to play with in organics - add random stripes over a soft base, like ivory, pea green or periwinkle, and then super-heat it until it starts to spread into delicate veins. Silver leaf or foil is also always very fun - but only use that if you have a very good exhaust fan. Try making silvered ivory stringer and adding that to beads - it looks very rocky! Enamels are fun too, but again, you need great ventilation so any particles that get suspended in the air are sucked away immediately and not breathed in.

Have fun!
WOW this is a great explaination of the colors, This will help me alot I have not learned about the colors yet so I just experiment this will help so much so I don't get such crappy beads.
Thanks so much Now I have to print this off to have at the torch.

Old 2007-12-21, 3:19pm
I need more boro stuff

Thank you for starting this thread

Old 2007-12-21, 3:39pm
Ellyloo-YAH!

I mixed opal yellow together with ivory (thinking buttermilk streaks...) and got a great 'organic'.
Attached Images

Old 2007-12-21, 4:08pm
Anna Duhame

Pretty bead, Elly-loo!

Heather, that may be the best explanation that I've ever seen!

EDP can actually make a bead have an even more of an organic flair BECAUSE it devitrifies...sometimes it is fun to just let it do what it wants.

Old 2007-12-21, 4:22pm
Fiddle-dee-dee!

Wow! Heather, thanks so much for all that information about colors. It is going to really help me out!
Old 2007-12-21, 4:38pm
maybe tomorrow

OK, I have a question for you all. I've always considered my beads to be "organic". Many of them are obviously organic (at least to me), but there are some that I'm not sure if others would agree. Many use reactive glasses, but not all. Many are fairly brightly colored. It won't bother me at all if anyone disagrees, I'm just really curious. If you don't consider them to be "organic", what would you call them?

I haven't actually posted any in ages, so here are just a few examples.

Sorry to hijack the thread a bit, but I've wondered about this many times.

Old 2007-12-21, 4:54pm

I think in the old days, "organic" might have referred more to colors than style. I remember when we called the borosilicate beads "organic" looking because of the caramel and other earthy colors that came from fuming; plus the reactiveness of that glass that was not exactly "controlled". The soft-glass candy-colored beads always stood in stark contrast, partly because of the palette, and partly because so many of the early beadmakers did dots and flowers and other fairly balanced, or repeated, patterns. But that was then, this is now: boro now comes in bright candy colors, and we have all kinds of new reactive "organic" looking soft-glass. I think your beads look very organic, Toni, (and pretty BTW) because of the perception of randomness -- even if you planned every one of your lines or dots. ~Jenny
Old 2007-12-21, 5:24pm

Toni-Organic and stunning.
Old 2007-12-21, 5:59pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by olivia View Post
what does organic bead mean????
thanks
Olivia

still learning --i hope
Tink and I used to teach an organic techniques class, which I affectionately subtitled "Symmetry is Highly Overrated". As in the statement, "It's not wonky, it's... organic."

Heheheh.
Old 2007-12-21, 10:28pm
Know-it-all Megalomaniac

Heather - EXCELLENT info on glass!
I'm printing that out for ref.
I always get them mixed up in my head (which colors get along with others).

Get your copy of the new Lampwork Etc. Tutorials and Tips Book

Old 2007-12-21, 10:56pm

thank you thank you
i am just learning and all of this really helps
Olivia
Old 2007-12-21, 11:01pm
Entropy increasing....

Toni, I have the same question about my beads like this. I think of them more of a "fusion" bead, not a true organic or a..I'm not sure what non organic beads are called....designed bead? I love your beads no matter what people call them!

Old 2007-12-21, 11:24pm
Burn baby, burn

Okay, beyond totally gorgeous beads and all, Toni, totally organic, with kick ass high heels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toni Lutman View Post
Kevan, organic/fusion with SPIKE high heels.

Old 2007-12-22, 11:55am

thanks again
Olivia
Old 2007-12-22, 12:31pm

ok i insist that you send those all to me for immediate up close and personal inspection for true organicness!!!!! Hee heeeeeeeeee
Kevan Toni and Ellyloo, your beadies rock ladies!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am lucky enough to own one of Toni's beads and they are fabulous!!!!!!!!!

Old 2007-12-22, 12:37pm
Entropy increasing....

I would kill for one of Toni's beads.

Seriously. Where do you live, Josie.
Old 2007-12-22, 1:18pm

Bwaaahhaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaaaaa Way out in the Alaskan bush, come and get me!!!!!!!!!!! Make sure and bring some beads with ya though!!!!!!!

Old 2007-12-22, 3:58pm
Frit frit and more frit!

For me organic beads are bead that look like they have evolved naturally, like something from nature, stone/rock, earth, landscapes, seas etc
Toni and Kevan I'd think tend to describe your beads as 'created in an organic style, inspired by nature'
Old 2007-12-22, 5:12pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebrand Beads View Post
...perception of randomness.

~Jenny
I think this is my favorite description ever of what I try to do! Really, very few of my beads are truly random mixtures of glass. The trick for me is finding the right balance of design and negative space.

And thanks everyone else for the comments. I often see people asking about organics, and I think my idea of what they are has changed over time. For me, it used to be about color. Now it's much more.

Old 2007-12-22, 5:13pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I would kill for one of Toni's beads.

Seriously. Where do you live, Josie.
Wait a minute Kevan! Please leave her alone. I need all the support I can get!

Is your address in the RAOGK list current? I'll see if I have something around here I can send you.

Old 2007-12-22, 5:21pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Wait a minute Kevan! Please leave her alone. I need all the support I can get!

Is your address in the RAOGK list current? I'll see if I have something around here I can send you.

Yes! OMG!! Oh, oh....peeing in my pants here. Wanna trade?
Old 2007-12-22, 7:34pm
maybe tomorrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
Yes! OMG!! Oh, oh....peeing in my pants here. Wanna trade?
heh. Better wait to see it before any peeing is done. And yes! I'd love to trade! My address is in the RAOGK too. Just be warned, I don't plan on going out into the world again till after Christmas, so it won't get mailed for a few days. There's crazies out there! Ack!

Sorry Olivia, no more hijacking.

Old 2007-12-23, 3:26am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
heh. Better wait to see it before any peeing is done. And yes! I'd love to trade! My address is in the RAOGK too. Just be warned, I don't plan on going out into the world again till after Christmas, so it won't get mailed for a few days. There's crazies out there! Ack!

Sorry Olivia, no more hijacking.
Well, me neither. lol

This is too cool. I'm as happy as a little girl.
Old 2007-12-23, 7:07am

Your beads are incredible.