Lampwork Etc.

TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2018-07-28, 7:22am
DaveK

Default Bismuth?

Has anyone tried to dip a marble or glass into molten bismuth? Does it stick to glass or sandblasted glass?

Bismuth Video
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2018-07-28 at 3:11pm.
Old 2018-07-29, 11:11am

I don't know for sure but it seems like the difference in melting points would cause an adhesion problem sandblasted or not. But if you try it let us know of the results.
Might be a COE problem there also.
After a little thought, very little, I think a trial with soft glass would be the best match up.

Interesting idea.

Last edited by Shaper; 2018-07-29 at 11:20am.
Old 2018-07-29, 11:32am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper View Post
I don't know for sure but it seems like the difference in melting points would cause an adhesion problem sandblasted or not. But if you try it let us know of the results.
Might be a COE problem there also.
After a little thought, very little, I think a trial with soft glass would be the best match up.

Interesting idea.
Not original. I ordered a kilo of it but it is very heavy so I ordered 3 more pounds. I suck at dot stacking so I was going to try dipping in bismuth instead.

Here is another link with bismuth and glass: #bismuth

By the way, bismuth is non toxic and is the main ingredient in Pepto-Bismol.
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2018-07-29 at 12:00pm.
Old 2018-07-29, 4:09pm
DaveK

According to @king_bismuth https://www.instagram.com/king_bismuth it sticks to the glass without any prep to the glass.

FYI, there are no coe issues because you apply the metal to a finished piece of glass.

I will post a pic as soon as I get the rest of the metal and have something to show.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-07-30, 1:00pm

Thanks for the info update. Very interesting stuff.
Looks like everything has been dipped to coat the glass, just wondered if the bismuth would adhere and stay on if it was just a small medallion on the side of a piece.
Old 2018-07-31, 6:06am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaper View Post
Thanks for the info update. Very interesting stuff.
Looks like everything has been dipped to coat the glass, just wondered if the bismuth would adhere and stay on if it was just a small medallion on the side of a piece.
If you look at some of the things @king_bismuth shows on his Instagram, that it is doable. Or search “bismuth” on Instagram you will see a lot of examples.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-07-31, 8:04am
Lifelong Student

Dave, this looks very interesting. If you find the answer to your question would you come back and share? I’d be very interested in experimenting with this material.
Old 2018-07-31, 8:01pm
Slogan Challenged...

That is a neat experiment, Dave. Curious to see what you come up with, also.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2018-08-01, 6:10am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJohn View Post
That is a neat experiment, Dave. Curious to see what you come up with, also.
I will post tests here. I am still waiting for the extra 3 lbs. The initial kilo, 2.2 lbs, wasn’t much bigger than apricot. Very dense stuff.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2018-08-03, 7:02am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Interesting. I have about 10 pounds I had planned to use in my 8th grade classroom but my hot plate doesn't get hot enough. I purchased from a vendor on Ebay. The ten pounds was about the size of a small flat rate postage box, which is what they sent it in.
Old 2018-08-03, 7:07am
DaveK

Quote:
Originally Posted by FosterFire View Post
Interesting. I have about 10 pounds I had planned to use in my 8th grade classroom but my hot plate doesn't get hot enough. I purchased from a vendor on Ebay. The ten pounds was about the size of a small flat rate postage box, which is what they sent it in.
They got their postage money’s worth there. Could your kiln be used to heat it to 530 degrees?
You can call me Dave 🎨

Last edited by KA; 2018-08-04 at 7:19am.