TrueDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Old 2006-06-08, 11:48pm
Aussie Jewellery Queen

I'll try that.... Fingers crossed it works! Thankyou for all your help!
Old 2006-06-09, 3:55am

Yes, a *slightly* reducing flame helps to strike the Kronos as you wrap it onto a bead (see post above).

I prefer a lighter color for a base, uranium yellow, pale ink blue. I wouldn't use it on ivory because it reacts heavily with the ivory - it's a nice effect but isn't the iridescence like in Teresa's vessel (very kewl vessel, Teresa!)

Don't be afraid to practice with the glass - you can't learn how to use it unless you use it

If you haven't had experience striking or reducing glass before, you can practice on some other colors and then try the doublehelix. That might be less expensive - transfer your skills to the doublehelix. You can practice reducing the rubino/ruby gold to a gold color. It's fussy but that's the point - it will give you experience in reducing.

Practice striking tongue pink or opalino pink. That will give you practice on the in and out of the flame and being careful not the lose the color.

Once you're confident doing those colors, then you will feel more confident using the doublehelix. I can tell you that I've only used a rod of each so far. Using stringer or dots is a good way to practice and then not use too much while you're on the learning curve.

Hang in there!
Cindy

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2006-06-09, 4:10am
Aussie Jewellery Queen

OMG OMG !! I think I've got it!!!!! good old reducing flame has done the trick... ! at least I'm seeing something 'happen' anyway....

Off to make something decent.....

Thanks everyone!!!!

Shelley
Old 2006-06-09, 8:18am
Student of DachZen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shelley
OMG OMG !! I think I've got it!!!!! good old reducing flame has done the trick... ! at least I'm seeing something 'happen' anyway....

Off to make something decent.....

Thanks everyone!!!!

Shelley
GREAT!!!!!! I can't wait to see what you make!

Old 2006-06-09, 4:45pm
Aussie Jewellery Queen

Well, I got it to 'do' something, but not consistently.... I think I burned it cause it turned poopy brown.... other times it stayed blue but didn't get the creamy streaks.... Is it this fussy for everyone??

Shelley
Old 2006-06-13, 11:05am
Stacy Frost

Thumbs up

And you're on a hothead!?! That just proves it again for me...it's the torcher, not the torch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by adovbs
Ok, here is the lentil - two pics, one of each side. What you can't really see well here is the lovely irridescent look of the blue glass.

Anyway, once you get the hang of striking the glass, it's really, really easy. Like I said, I'm on a Hot Head, and it still works for me (unlike Raku)
Old 2006-06-14, 6:54am

Default I like these...

Made with Jed's Kronos for your visual pleasure and inspiration files.

Oxygen flame, cooled, gently brought back into a reduction flame to bring out the silvers and carefully applied the encasement so as not to burn off the silver. Lots of sparkle and glitz in these. Just might have to put them on the bay tonight...I think. Might have to look at them some more, too, since I am about out of this glass...
Attached Images

Old 2006-06-14, 1:09pm
Wild at Heart!

Beautiful beads everyone!

I have had hit and miss success and I haven't figured out why Nothing Stellar, but I feel I'm on the verge of a breakthrough! lol!

Kristi

??