Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2009-03-06, 3:27pm

Default ::rant warning::"Weirdo-Glass" Disclosures....PLEASE!!

I'm so frustrated!!! I just purchased a bundle of three tutorials, was really excited about the content of them -- right up until I read the first one. It unexpectedly requires/recommends non-104 COE glass.

ummm...Did you tell us about this and I just missed it? I was under the impression, since nothing else was stated (that I saw, anyway) that these tutorials were made using COE 104 glass.

Finally had a chance to start reading, and the first one I opened up, "Small Shells" lists Bullseye glass rods, and then some strips of Spectrum sheet glass. YIKES!! That would have been a complete deal-breaker for me, had I known about it before making a non-refundable purchase.

I'm sorry if this is offensive, but I don't think that this is a fair thing to do. I had planned on asking questions before purchasing any more tutorials, after buying several that require/recommend TERRA. Suggesting a glass that is not even in production without giving advanced warning is not my idea of fair business practices, and neither are the materials that are recommended in this Small Shells tutorial. I'm really kicking myself for not asking, but unfortunately, I just expected a higher ethical standard from these particular authors.

$50 was hard to scrape together, but their beads look beautiful, and I felt that I'd be learning enough new things to make it worthwhile. Now, I'm concerned that I have basically flushed the $$ down the drain. I'm afraid to even take a peek at the other two tutorials - don't even want to know what surprises they might hold!

It's all fair and good to say that there will be no refunds made on digital media because there is no physical property to return. If you are going to stand behind that protection for yourselves, then you are even more honor-bound to disclose any information that could make it unexpectedly difficult or impossible for us to actually make use of your tutorials.

If I were selling something...maybe an electronics item that required several different cables, connectors, weird tools, etc. to use, I would be in big trouble if that information were not provided to potential customers BEFORE they made the purchase. It would need to be clearly written on the outside of the package, or put in the "fine print" or something to give people a fighting chance of getting what they THOUGHT they were buying.

Why aren't the tutorial writers being held to that same standard of fair and honest disclosure?

Birdy
Old 2009-03-06, 3:32pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post

I'm sorry if this is offensive, but I don't think that this is a fair thing to do. I had planned on asking questions before purchasing any more tutorials, after buying several that require/recommend TERRA. Suggesting a glass that is not even in production without giving advanced warning is not my idea of fair business practices, and neither are the materials that are recommended in this Small Shells tutorial. I'm really kicking myself for not asking, but unfortunately, I just expected a higher ethical standard from these particular authors.
birdy, i understand you're upset. have you talked to the author of these tutorials with your concern? just wondering, because putting this complaint out in the open in a big move when you may not have talked to the author, who could have settled your problem.

but on the topic of suggesting glass that is not in production.. there are glasses you can use as substitutions. if you can't get terra.. get terranova.. get another striking glass. you may not be able to make the exact bead the artist that wrote the tutorial did, but you can put your OWN spin on it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2009-03-06, 3:37pm
da General

Birdy - Perhaps you may want to contact the seller? I know that if someone is unhappy with my e-book, even tho it's stated that pdfs are not refundable, I am more than happy to refund the $ if my customer contacts me privately.

As for tutorials that recommend using Terra, you can use almost any currently available striking silver glass (Khaos, Luna 2, Terranova 2, Van Gogh, daVinci 2) and get very similar results.

|
|
|
|
da General

Ali - you and I suggested the same thing as the same time! lol!

|
|
|
|

I bought the same three tutorials and all I've used is 104 glass. You don't need to use their glass specifications. It's just showing you how they made the bead. The glass is your choice.
I made some tiger beads and they were written for 104 COE so it must just be the shell beads?
Either way, just use your own glass. You don't need to spend money on glass that you don't already have

Old 2009-03-06, 3:38pm
Scientific Glass Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
I bought the same three tutorials and all I've used is 104 glass. You don't need to use their glass specifications. It's just showing you how they made the bead. The glass is your choice.
I made some tiger beads and they were written for 104 COE so it must just be the shell beads?
Either way, just use your own glass. You don't need to spend money on glass that you don't already have
exactly.

Old 2009-03-06, 3:39pm
Sheila

Birdy, try using CiM colors for the shells. It's stiffer than Moretti and is a little easier. You could also make them out of a transparent color. Once you get the hang of making them, try them in Moretti. It definitely CAN be done!

In place of the sheet glass just use dk. ivory or one of the Vetrofond odd lots that's multicolored, like Honey Crunch or Avacado Marble (which is still available at several sites).
Old 2009-03-06, 3:39pm
moth to the flame

Hi Birdy,

Using Bullseye glass is a suggestion and its what the authors use for the shells. I have worked with 104 and BE too and while the 104's will work its just the BE is a little stiffer and can (for some) be better for sculpting. I made a shell yesterday and I saw the difference between BE and 104 coes..
I saw the sheet glass suggestion and again, there are some who use that with rods but I never have.

You can still use 104 glass with the tuts!

May you always have love to share, health to spare, and friends that care.
Old 2009-03-06, 3:41pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reenie View Post
I did the same thing with no problem.
I actually think it's a good thing to use different glass as it helps you to put your origional spin on what ever tutorial you are working on.
Give it a try...you may suprise yourself!

Old 2009-03-06, 3:52pm

I bought all 3 also. I haven't had a chance to look at them yet. It doesn't bother me that they didn't use 104 glass. I figure it will work with both kinds of glass. I only have 104 and I use a HH.

Maybe if I would have read them I might have thought... oh crap! But then I would have just said.. okay going to try it any way. I figure if I can scult things out of ivory and they turn out how I want them to I can do a shell out of it too...

I think I would be more worried about the animal print one since I wanted that one to know what colors to use to get them right, but some one said they did use 104... so that's good for me.

If you are concerned about getting the same colors just ask on here. Or ask the authors what 104 colors they would suggest. I'm sure they would be happy to help you with that. I know I have asked color questions and every one is SO great to give me idea's on what colors to use.

Nanc

Old 2009-03-06, 3:55pm

It's fine to say that I can just substitute colors - I know that, and it isn't my point.

I buy tutorials from certain people because they are VERY GOOD at what they do. Generally, they have tested, practiced, tested more, etc...and discovered the VERY BEST glass type and colors for that particular bead style. I'm buying the tutorial for their personal expertise on the subject, and I want to be able to follow along with the tutorial, AS WRITTEN, at least the first time as a learning experience. Then I'll happily go off and try other things.

If I wanted to make something out of yarn, I'd have to decide if I wanted to knit or to crochet, then I could buy an appropriate pattern. If I bought a pattern that appeared to be for crochet, but turned out to be knit, I'd be just as upset == yes, I could figure out how to translate it into crochet, but I thought that I was buying a crochet pattern. Do you get my point?

The reason the I'm doing this in public is because of the number of tutorials that I have purchased which have this issue. It needs to be public -- this is an ongoing problem that needs to be resolved. I don't want any other lampwork newbie to spend their money and not get what they thought they were buying.

Unfortunately, this particular batch of tutorials just happened to be the thing that finally hit my flash point, and I do apologize to the authors for using their tutorials as an example of the situation.

Generally, I approach things quietly, am very careful not to hurt feelings, upset anyone, etc. ..... and my problem goes ignored and unresolved. I've had that happen with sellers in the Garage Sale who have not shipped as stated, sent things not as described, taken 3 months to ship, sent poorly packed items that broke in transit, etc. and then refused to make good on things. I've felt horrible when I've seen them selling other items, and worried about the next person that wasted their money buying from them. Sometimes you just have to speak up about things for the general good. I know that I'm going to get blasted for doing this, but that is how strongly I feel about this issue.

Birdy
Old 2009-03-06, 4:08pm
Cheerfully Profane

I can understand your wanting to alert tut publishers to the fact that some people might prefer it if the supplies were listed in the tutorial "What You're Getting" page, but there's a MUCH better way to go about it than throwing a hissy. You can speak up without coming across the way you did in your original post.

How about:

I just purchased a few tutorials and love the information I received, but would like to offer a suggestion to the authors. Can you please specify in the ad which COE is to be used and if there are any specialty glass or tools that I need to make this piece?

Much better than:
Quote:
"I'm so frustrated!!! I just purchased a bundle of three tutorials, was really excited about the content of them -- right up until I read the first one. It unexpectedly requires/recommends non-104 COE glass.

ummm...Did you tell us about this and I just missed it? I was under the impression, since nothing else was stated (that I saw, anyway) that these tutorials were made using COE 104 glass.

Finally had a chance to start reading, and the first one I opened up, "Small Shells" lists Bullseye glass rods, and then some strips of Spectrum sheet glass. YIKES!! That would have been a complete deal-breaker for me, had I known about it before making a non-refundable purchase.

I'm sorry if this is offensive, but I don't think that this is a fair thing to do. I had planned on asking questions before purchasing any more tutorials, after buying several that require/recommend TERRA. Suggesting a glass that is not even in production without giving advanced warning is not my idea of fair business practices, and neither are the materials that are recommended in this Small Shells tutorial. I'm really kicking myself for not asking, but unfortunately, I just expected a higher ethical standard from these particular authors."
For shiz? Just because they didn't say which glass you're supposed to use, their ethics are being called into question?

Old 2009-03-06, 4:10pm

Birdy,
I have to agree. I just bought the tutorials myself and am surprised that the instructions are for Bullseye. Like you, I believe that is something that should be stated clearly in the description of the tutorials . . .
I know you can substitute - you can substitute all sorts of things in life, but that's not the point.

Old 2009-03-06, 4:10pm

I ain't going to blast you

Old 2009-03-06, 4:12pm
Cheerfully Profane

Has anyone actually asked for a refund before posting in this thread? Contacted the author privately?

Again, there's a NICE way to go about this where NO ONE gets a hurt feeling. (I say feeling because I only have one.)
Old 2009-03-06, 4:19pm

Rebekah,
I just wrote and requested a refund. I'm sure there won't be a problem because I hadn't even gotten the turorials emailed to me yet. And I'm sure there won't be a problem as the gals who wrote it are super nice, however, I do think it is important that potential purchasers know this information about the tutorials being sold.
I am definitely not calling into question anyone's ethics here.
Lisa

Old 2009-03-06, 4:19pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebekah View Post
I can understand your wanting to alert tut publishers to the fact that some people might prefer it if the supplies were listed in the tutorial "What You're Getting" page, but there's a MUCH better way to go about it than throwing a hissy. You can speak up without coming across the way you did in your original post.

How about:

I just purchased a few tutorials and love the information I received, but would like to offer a suggestion to the authors. Can you please specify in the ad which COE is to be used and if there are any specialty glass or tools that I need to make this piece?

Much better than:

For shiz? Just because they didn't say which glass you're supposed to use, their ethics are being called into question?

I apologized for going about it so roughly, but sometimes frustration takes over, and a person doesn't have the time or energy to try to meet everybody's standards of propriety. With a group of this size, it wouldn't matter what I said or how I said it, somebody would be in a snit over it, - there are so many people with so many opinions. My personal choice was just to speak honestly, from my heart, and I'm willing to take the fallout from it.

That was also why I titled the post as a "rant" - it was fair warning that this was going to be my personal opinion and would probably not be in a politically correct format. If you chose to disagree with me, or my methods, that is perfectly fine. I'm not trying to change your mind about anything.

So, thank-you for your lesson in proper manners and deportment in a public forum.

Birdy
Old 2009-03-06, 4:26pm

I do understand your frustration...
Even though I think you can substitute glass it is probably a good idea for tut writers to let people know up front what kind of glass they are using.
But I an sure that it was not the tut writers intention to deceive in anyway, and if you’re unhappy I would bet you can ask for and receive a refund..

Old 2009-03-06, 4:28pm
Cheerfully Profane

Hey Birdy,

You're welcome for the lesson. I'm nothing if not full of proper manners and deportment. I don't even put my elbows on the dinner table until AFTER dessert. I NEVER swear when my mouth is closed and it would be unheard of for me to pick my nose in public.

You don't have to be politically correct or not raise hell if you're not getting something you paid for. Shit, go ahead and pitch a fit. I would too.

This just doesn't seem to be the case in this instance. You got the tutorial that you paid for, it just wasn't exactly what you were expecting. No harm, no foul. Contact the author. If you just wanted to rant, maybe a better place for that would be the bathroom, not in the tutorials to purchase section. If you wanted to provide a "heads up" for fellow tutorial purchasers, here is the best place for it.

I don't really have an issue with your bitching, I just don't understand calling into question the author's ethics. If you really want to use a knitting analogy, this is really more like "I was expecting to use cotton yarn and have to use silk to make this hat".
Old 2009-03-06, 4:40pm
Flaming Redhead!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy View Post
...and discovered the VERY BEST glass type and colors for that particular bead style. I'm buying the tutorial for their personal expertise on the subject, and I want to be able to follow along with the tutorial, AS WRITTEN, at least the first time as a learning experience.
So, I'm not going to say one way or the other regarding how you went about handling this...but I did want to say one thing. How do you know the authors suggested the VERY BEST glass type for their tutorials? I mean, maybe they suggested it because that's the type of glass they typically work with...*shrug* Or, do the tutorials actually state they chose that glass because of its specific nature? Just curious here...

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-03-06, 4:45pm

I suggest we stay on point and not get snarky.

Old 2009-03-06, 4:49pm
Flaming Redhead!

If I'm being snarky...my apologies. I thought I was asking a fairly legit question.

A thing of beauty is a joy forever: its loveliness increases; it will never pass into nothingness.
- John Keats
Old 2009-03-06, 5:06pm

OK, I know that this sounds really stupid....but.....
It never even occured to me to ask any of the tutorial writers for a refund! The "fine print" says "no refund", and I accepted that when I made the purchase. It was part of the deal, and I knew that up front.

Maybe that is the entire point of this -- "I knew that up front." No, it isn't a "maybe" at all. It's the entire point. I'm willing to live up to anything that I knowingly agree to, whether it was clearly stated or just implied. In the case of tutorials, unless something else is stated, my personal impression of what is "implied" is:
1. COE is 104, unless stated in advance.
2. All materials and supplies are available for purchase through normal retail channels at the copyright date on the tutorial.
3. Tutorial will be about what is pictured on the front page or in the advertisment.
4. Tutorial will be in English unless stated otherwise.
5. The "implied" skill level is Beginner, and author will advise if higher skill levels are required.
6. Basic lampworking tools are adequate to follow along with the tutorial, unless specific tools are stated in advance.

There are obviously many more things that I would like to feel safe in assuming are true, but those are the most important points to me.

I don't have the ability to spend extended periods of time on the torch figuring everything out from scratch - that is why I buy books and tutorials. I am unable to travel to attend classes, don't know any other lampworkers in my area to share ideas with, and am totally over the moon when a tutorial is released that offers me an opportunity to learn from the experience of more advanced artists.

I'm laying here, recovering from my second major spinal fracture in just over 2 years (and the third time in all) and have to ration out the minutes that I can spend sitting at the torch. I can lay down and read or use the computer, and can take heavy-duty pain meds while doing those things. Can't do that at the torch. I have to rely on books and tutorials to fill in the gaps for me that my body won't let me struggle through on my own. It is, honestly and truly, very important to me that I know what I'm buying, and only spend money on things that will be of use. We all have limitations and basic requirements and needs - having true and accurate disclosure of products is important to me.

My ways may not have been the best, but, since I'm just a plain old human, I'll probably never be perfect. I just muddle through the best that I can. If my ways offend you, that is unfortunate. Are your ways always perfect? I applaud you if they are!

I didn't ask for my money back - I'm just asking that all tutorial writers think very carefully about what things are taken for granted or are implied, and take the time and care to spell out in advance, those things in their tutorials which don't fit that list. I don't want them to give away any of their secrets in advance, just tell me honestly if something "different" is going to be needed to do the tutorial exactly as written. If it can't be done as written, it isn't a "tutorial"!

Wishing for more Kevlar,
Birdy

Old 2009-03-06, 5:13pm
Flaming Redhead!

I don't think it sounds stupid at all, and I'm much the same way you are. If it's stated 'no refund' then that's what I go by...it never would have dawned on me either to ask for a refund.

Here's what I'd like to do...I'd like to PayPal you $50...should you get a refund on these tutorials, great! No need to send any money back to me, get yourself a couple more tutorials. I know what you're going through what with meds and not being able to torch, with pain and not being able to torch for very long, and not being able to take classes. This is my gift to you...I'd love for you to accept it. Please PM me your PayPal addy and I'll get it right over to you.

- John Keats
Old 2009-03-06, 5:21pm

I take it all back, Alex. You are DEFINITELY not a snarky person.

Old 2009-03-06, 5:23pm
Flaming Redhead!

Lisa, I can be...but this wasn't one of those times.

- John Keats
Old 2009-03-06, 5:37pm

Hello everyone,

I just logged onto LE and saw this thread about our tutorials and wanted to see if I could clear the air a bit. Birdy, first let me say that I am very sorry if you are disappointed with our tutorials and we would welcome your comments and suggestions if you would contact us about them. Anyone who has ever dealt with me or Becky knows that we are very reasonable and would have gladly talked to you on the phone or via e-mail to see if we could help you.

When we wrote our shell tutorials we wanted to be as honest as possible with our customers about the type of glass we used because we sincerely want everyone to be able to get the best possible results. Because these were our first tutorials we didn't anticipate that there would be a problem with our recommendations that you use Bullseye or Spectrum glass to make the shells. It is only a recommendation and many of our students use 104 for their shells with no problems at all. But it would be unfair of us not to tell you that we use Bullseye when we know that it produces the crispest and most easily sculpted shells.

Let me assure you that you CAN make every one of our shells using 104 glass. We've done it many times. You'll get good results. You don't' have to go out and purchase Bullseye just to try these designs. Please use what you have in your studio. We were simply trying to give you the very best advice we could from our years of experience. I thought we had done a good job of explaining this in our tutorial.

Please send me a PM and give me your e-mail address and I'll contact you in private. Becky and I want our customers to be happy.

Sorry my post was so long, but I just hate to see anyone upset over something that could have been cleared up with one short e-mail or phone call. Becky is out of pocket today and tonight because a dear friend's husband was killed in a motorcycle accident last Sunday and she is spending some time with her. I know she'll take care of any e-mails when she returns.

Diane

Old 2009-03-06, 5:41pm
a pox upon an idiot :..

Birdy, I agree with you completely that a tutorial should list everything needed before you purchase it and I would be just as angry as you, but not in this instance.

It seems that you might be a relative newbie to some of the more senior members to this board, and I'm not stating that as a fault but rather as an observation from your post counts. I'm saying this because I'm sure, as many of the other posters in this thread have, that the authors of these tuts would never want to cause you this distress and would have been happy if you contacted them with your concerns.

You know, I could absolutely see myself getting caught up in wanting to write a perfect tutorial, taking excellent pictures and writing the content so that it was easy for everyone to understand and then not even thinking about mentioning the different types of glass needed. Whether it was me not thinking to do it or because I just assumed that people would know that I worked with different types of glass, I really could see myself doing it and would be thrilled for someone to point it out to me.

I hope you get this worked out and if you would like, I can send you some of the glass that you need to try the beads. I did stained glass for 20 years and have all the spectrum you might like and probably the other colors as well.
Old 2009-03-06, 5:53pm
jessica barksdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex9 View Post
I don't think it sounds stupid at all, and I'm much the same way you are. If it's stated 'no refund' then that's what I go by...it never would have dawned on me either to ask for a refund.

Here's what I'd like to do...I'd like to PayPal you $50...should you get a refund on these tutorials, great! No need to send any money back to me, get yourself a couple more tutorials. I know what you're going through what with meds and not being able to torch, with pain and not being able to torch for very long, and not being able to take classes. This is my gift to you...I'd love for you to accept it. Please PM me your PayPal addy and I'll get it right over to you.
wow, alex, that's incredibly generous & thoughtful of you.
& i also thought your original question was completely legit.

jes
i make stuff & also things.

|
Old 2009-03-06, 5:54pm
Ad astra per aspera

I think there's a very valid and IMPORTANT point at the heart of this....if you need a special tool or special glass in order to follow the tutorial, it might be a good, considerate idea for authors to say something...maybe a "special ingredients" list or something, prior to buying the tut.

Sort of the way good "assembly required" items will tell you on the box that you need a power drill and hammer to put something together. I hate having to go to the hardware store twice because I didn't know I'd need something else.