LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Caber Light

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2010-06-07, 4:02pm
offically down under

Default How fantastic is the Ipad for lampworking?

Bloody brilliant as I have put all my lampworking tutorials on it. Now I can torch and with the flick of a finger, turn the page. No more expensive printing and putting into loose leaf binders for me. I bought the program "Good Reader" which allows you to transfer PDF files to the ipad.

I think this will catch on very quickly as it is such a cool piece of equipment and lampworkers who were on the fence about the difference between want and need have just seen the light. For those of you who write tutorials, PDF files are the way to go.
Attached Images

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-06-08, 10:44am
Flameworker

I was thinking of this! Glad to know it works good. Hopefully i can save up and get one soon!
Old 2010-06-08, 10:48am
Beadmaking.nl

Great solution,

I use an old monitor on the wall, which I connected with my laptop.
I let the settings from the second screen rotate 90 degrees.
I just have to click on a wireless mous and here I go. I think that is a cheaper solution then a Ipad.

Old 2010-06-08, 11:44am
I speak Murrini!

LUCKIES!

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-06-08, 11:53am

I just saved this in my favorites, now I can't wait to get my Ipad! I've been promised one for good behavior from DH later this summer!! (Must start being good, YIKES!).
Mary T.

Old 2010-06-11, 9:19pm
Lover of all things color

Hi Tammy, I have an iPad and got the app for reading the PDF files but don't know how to get the files over to the iPad. How did you get them over there?

thanks,

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-06-11, 9:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

you could email them to yourself, can't you?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-06-11, 9:24pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Margreit, what a great idea!! An ipad is something so far out of my reach it isnt funny but I will have to remember your idea Margreit when I'm setting up my studio after our move!!!
Awesome for sharing Tammy, I'm sure there are others that will be thrilled to read this thread!!
Sue

Old 2010-06-12, 3:43am
Detail G-Mama!

I want!!!!!! Badly!!!!! You having fun with that Batik tut?

Old 2010-06-12, 4:41am

Oh Squid, I guess I could but I have so darn many. I'll try one. Not sure if I have the email set up yet or not. I also get the .gmail on my darn phone, can you see all those on my phone too...LOL Aaaah technology.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-06-12, 5:33am
Formerly Icarus Beads :)

Great idea. Just downloaded the reader and will give it a try. I too am fed up with the papers in my studio.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-06-12, 5:56am

Ok, I emailed one of the tutorials to my iPad but I can't see any photos.

Tammy, which PDF reader did you download? HELP

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-06-12, 6:06am

Jan, search for "good reader" in your apps store.

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-06-12, 6:11am

Thanks Judith, found it. Now I'm going through the help file to figure out how to move the files. Easypeasy for sure. I have to get them all in a folder. I love this thing.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-06-12, 7:07am

Ok, I did it. Was that easy. You literally drag the files from where ever they are on your computer to the window in iTunes. The app has great instructions for moving the files. I moved 202meg of files in about one minute. Now to use them.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2010-06-12, 7:31am
Jacqueline Parkes

I love this idea but I do not understand the second line. What do you mean settings from second screen?

Quote:
Originally Posted by margriet@stainedglass.nl View Post
Great solution,

I use an old monitor on the wall, which I connected with my laptop.
I let the settings from the second screen rotate 90 degrees.
I just have to click on a wireless mous and here I go. I think that is a cheaper solution then a Ipad.

Old 2010-06-12, 8:01am
glass is sooo...me!

I think she means that the monitor is hanging vertically as opposed to sitting in the horizontal position like is normally used.
Therefore she had to go into her settings and change the way the monitor displays.
I could be wrong but that is what I thought she meant.

Karen
Old 2010-06-12, 9:23am

Great Idea, but I seem to burn everything in my studio sooner or later. You should see my TV channel changer. Where are you putting your iPad while you work...hot flying glass you know.

Old 2010-06-12, 9:26am
critter creator

I was wondering what kind of flame you can get on an iPad, if it's a nice pinpoint one then you could do some really detailed work while perusing your tutorials...
Old 2010-06-12, 11:05am
Dead man walking

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemsinbloom View Post
I love this idea but I do not understand the second line. What do you mean settings from second screen?
I believe that she is talking about the 2nd monitor through Windows display settings, the laptop's monitor would be display 1, the external would be display 2.
Old 2010-06-12, 1:56pm
offically down under

I work in my garage and I need to be able to still get my car in when I'm finished. My work area is a table which slides under the workbench which is elevated. The Ipad is now sitting in a rack used to put papers that you are typing until I buy a case. I have it sitting where my glasses case is currently sitting.
Attached Images

Old 2010-06-12, 4:42pm

Great idea!!! Must get one!!
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2010-06-12, 5:01pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast Master View Post
I was wondering what kind of flame you can get on an iPad, if it's a nice pinpoint one then you could do some really detailed work while perusing your tutorials...
You need 'finetune flame' app. which is $1.19.

hehehe
Old 2010-06-30, 3:50pm
Fire!! Wait...it's good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kym View Post
You need 'finetune flame' app. which is $1.19.

hehehe
Only $1.19? What a deal!!! Now I don't need to get a new torch

Minor and Oxy Con with AF3P Kiln
Old 2010-08-03, 9:17pm
PyronamixK

Thanks for the great tip, Tammy. That tipped the scales for making my decision. I decided that I really wanted to have one for traveling (so much smaller/lighter than a laptop) and now that there is something important I can use it for at home, well... I decided to look closer into it. I'm typing this post from my new iPad.
Old 2010-08-03, 9:54pm

Kimberly, welcome in our club!
I just returned from the studio - Ipad in hand. Used it to leaf through some tutorials (app: GoodReader) and simultaneously I was listening to my old favorite New Zealand and German radio stations (app: Wunderradio). So cool!
And now I'll go to bed and Netflix a good old chick flick (I think "The Proposal").
Can you tell that I love my iPad?

Etsy Vintage shop

Webpage ->
Old 2010-08-03, 10:39pm
PyronamixK

Thanks, Judith!

I can see so many possibilities for this! I am excited about using it with the tutorials (I recently purchased several to keep me busy for a while) and I like to read through them several times (often just to look at the pretty beads). It will be so nice to not be tied down to my desk. I downloaded GoodReader.
Old 2010-08-04, 2:30am
Happy Beadmaker!

OMG, Tammy, thanks for the "official justification" for buying iPad for business!!!! Brilliant! Also love Margriet's set up, plus the mirrors so no one can sneak up & scare you!!!

Gotta love LE and all its forward thinkers!

~
~
~
Old 2010-08-04, 3:31am
Beady eyed

Ipads rock on so many levels!! I am using one right now to write this. The reason I got one is so that I could have a digital, coloured sketchbook for when I am struck by the bead muse in the middle of the night or travelling. And it is BRILLIANT for that. There are several programmes for sketching. Sketchbookpro is good for detail and includes layers and has the most complex options but there is one called Draw Pad that is soooo much fun in a simple way because you scroll through drawers of lined up colored pencils, crayons and textas as well as importing photos and stuff.
Also the battery life is phenomenal.
You can have color picker apps too that take a photo and build a pallette that you can use in beads.
It is AWESOME device

My
My

My
My
My
Old 2010-08-04, 3:35am
Beady eyed

Oh yeah, and you can take your bead porn pics everywhere you go yeharr

My
My

My
My
My