Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2015-06-17, 1:25pm
Everlasting Fire Studio

Default Dot Stack?!

Hello Boro Friends!

I have been really wanting to learn how to make dot stack pendants. But every time I try to find out how, I can't seem to find information. Sometimes it looks like it's done with tubing, but others it looks solid.

Anyone have or know of a tutorial (free OR for purchase) that shows how to do this?

Attaching a picture in case you need to know what it is.

Thanks!
Elektra
Attached Images

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-06-18, 5:59am
DaveK

To be honest, no matter how careful I am, I haven't mastered not boiling the Whiteout color used in the video. I may try china white or star white next. Here is a video: http://youtu.be/QYtHHyp8hn0
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-06-18, 8:44am

I was working with white the other day and thought I would try a new way of working it as I needed to cover a section of 15mm clear rod one and half inch long. I work on a Bethlehem bravo and I got both rings fired up showing a oxidizing flame then I just turned off the propane to the inner fire and adjusted the outer just a bit so the flames were not so reducing. I had no boiling. I took awhile as the flame was 'cooler', and once it was melted smooth and had some heat in it I turned on the inner propane.
I do not know much about working the torch this way and it does pop when I turn the inner propane back on, so know your torch and check with manufacture before trying this.

Old 2015-06-18, 11:17am
Everlasting Fire Studio

Thanks for the link!

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-06-18, 11:20am
I fart diamonds

I like Borosticks (Origins). It's a nice, buttery white and doesn't boil so easily. China white is nice, too.

Old 2015-06-24, 8:20am
DaveK

Star white seems to work OK https://instagram.com/p/4UO2SSxclT/
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-06-24, 8:24am
DaveK

I tried niping the whiteout to get consistant sized dots. Maybe I'll try that with the ★ white.
You can call me Dave 🎨
Old 2015-07-18, 3:53pm

To try and answer your question the pendant you showed in picture (made by JuJu) is made from hollow tubing. I know this cause I have one and you can see how it was taken off from a tube on the back. I haven't dabbled in dotstacks myself at all, but I think most people stack on tubing because it makes the process quicker. I would say they blow out a bubble from heavy wall tubing that is relatively thick and then start adding your dots in an order that "stacks" them the way that you want. I would say each band of dots you lay, once your ready to move on to the next row you would melt in the previous almost completely as to overlay your next row on top of previous and continue. Making sure to keep your ball shape on the end of your tube until the last row then blast the whole thing with heat almost like you would with a tube implosion to condense the glass and thicken. Terminate the front. Pull off from tube. Add finishing touches.

Hope that makes sense.
Old 2015-07-19, 8:44am
Everlasting Fire Studio

Quote:
Originally Posted by St3wY View Post
To try and answer your question the pendant you showed in picture (made by JuJu) is made from hollow tubing. I know this cause I have one and you can see how it was taken off from a tube on the back. I haven't dabbled in dotstacks myself at all, but I think most people stack on tubing because it makes the process quicker. I would say they blow out a bubble from heavy wall tubing that is relatively thick and then start adding your dots in an order that "stacks" them the way that you want. I would say each band of dots you lay, once your ready to move on to the next row you would melt in the previous almost completely as to overlay your next row on top of previous and continue. Making sure to keep your ball shape on the end of your tube until the last row then blast the whole thing with heat almost like you would with a tube implosion to condense the glass and thicken. Terminate the front. Pull off from tube. Add finishing touches.

Hope that makes sense.
I suspected something like that. I see such amazing work, and am shocked at the lack of information available online about making them. I tried 2 solid rod ones yesterday, they are still pretty nifty. But I'm sure tubing helps with some of the issues I had.

I'm hoping someone eventually puts something up online! I'd be more than happy to pay for it! Definitely would be worth it to get the best understanding of how to work them.

Everlasting Fire Studio
5036 N. Lincoln Ave
Chicago, IL 60625
Old 2015-07-24, 9:03am

I make marbles like this. I do mine on solid rod. There might be some video on youtube but I doubt it. The boro world really doesnt bother much with written tutorials. There is not much to this though. Get some color, start stacking, and make it your own.