Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2008-10-16, 7:04pm
Button Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
That sounds just a smidge over my head
I was thinking the same thing... Coil-who...???
Old 2008-10-16, 8:04pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclogan View Post
I was thinking the same thing... Coil-who...???

It's just like winding discs for a hollow bead but you start at the end of the mandrel and keep on going until you have wound the entire form. You close it at the end.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2008-10-16, 8:36pm
I speak Murrini!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryBeth View Post
It's just like winding discs for a hollow bead but you start at the end of the mandrel and keep on going until you have wound the entire form. You close it at the end.
This sounds great in theory, and I'm sure isn't a terrible challenge for those with more skill than I and with practice, probably isn't as crazy as it sounds (giggle)! Me, on the other hand, still haven't been able to do even a simple vessel on the end of a hollow mandrel...

I think I'll buy some tube and spare my stress level (and probably a few body parts as well) the drama/trauma - Ha!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2008-10-17, 9:36am

My husband's cousin has a neon contact. I've got a call out to them to see if they have any spare on hand.

??(really dumb question) For the tubing that's listed as 18-25 mm, is that the wall thickness or the outer diameter? And if it's the outer diameter, what's the wall thickness? Just trying to get some idea of how this would melt in my torch.
Old 2008-10-17, 9:39am
Pyromaniac

Ornament Tut!!! I can't wait!

Sexy Barracuda and Mirage

Old 2008-10-17, 11:53am
Run Free Sweet Boy

hi Lynda.

All neon tubing is standard wall, I think one mm. well except the 15mm heavy wall thats used for unsilation, but its not good to blow, the wall thickness is not even.

The 18 and 25mm is tubing diameter, and it is usually a special order through a sign supplier. The folks that supply the neon shops with thier tubing. Look in a yellow pages for any med city near you for a sign supplyer. It comes after the listing for signs.

All of the ornaments and items I have done in the tutorial are done on a minor torch. I tend to use my carlisle CC torch, but did it all on the minor so that people knew it could be done on a small torch. So, if you have at least a minor, you should be just fine. You cant use a hot head because the glass will reduce badly.

Candice

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2008-10-17, 11:57am
novembersfyre everywhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by patienthand View Post

I love what I'm seeing so far! I'll be in line for your tut! What size beadcaps are you using on the round ornaments? Are they the 10mm or the 17mm?

(Just trying to get a jump on supplies.)

Old 2008-10-17, 12:07pm
Me Ke Aloha Pumehana

Oh my...such lovely ornaments! I can hardly wait for the tut!!

CA gift numbers:
Old 2008-10-17, 5:15pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

they are 10mm caps and the ornaments are made with 10mm neon tubung(lead glass 90 coe)

I used bullseye frits for these, the white burns... grrrrrrrrr. You can also use thompson enamels and the powdersa nd frtits for furnace glass. I like the furnace glass powders a lot... just cant find my stash, But I also learned these like 30 years ago using thompson enamels,, back when they still had lead in them.

Candice

Old 2008-10-17, 5:53pm
Oh No You Didn't!

Where do you buy the caps and hooks for the globe ornaments?

My name is............. Deb

Minor/Propane/1 oxycon
Old 2008-10-17, 6:00pm
novembersfyre everywhere

Thanks, Candice! I have a pretty good supply of the 10mm ornament caps as I am using them on my coiled ornaments. So I'll be all set for the tubing ones.

Frogsongstudio - you can get the ornament caps from Howaco Glass. She has the best prices!

Old 2008-10-18, 4:26am
Run Free Sweet Boy

ABR imagery and I think C and R loo also have the ornament caps.

Candice

Old 2008-10-18, 4:27am
Run Free Sweet Boy

do you have a link for howaco? never heard of em

Candice

Old 2008-10-18, 9:45am
formerly JewelsByJenny

I love Howaco. Here is the link http://www.howacoglasssupplycompany....ben_tubes.html

Jenny

Old 2008-10-18, 9:52am
formerly JewelsByJenny

Since I am new to this I would love to start with icicles and work toward the ornaments. I am really looking forward to both tutorials. The idea of making 2 seperate tutorials is a good one.

Jenny

Old 2008-10-18, 2:33pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

thanks for the link.... I am making great progres on the tutorial... writting and writting and writing... getting there....

Candice

Old 2008-10-18, 4:05pm
I speak Murrini!

Drats!!! Not to be done on a Hot Head? I have a Mini CC right now, but only a 2' Oxy tank, and my torch isn't set up right now...dang!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro

Last edited by theglasszone; 2008-10-19 at 12:01pm. Reason: I'm a DORK!
Old 2008-10-18, 5:28pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

De,

Sorry about the hot head, but the lead glass will turn really black in it and it isnt hot enough for boro. But the mini CC should be fine. I dont know about how the lauscha tubing and rod would do in a hot head.

Candice

Old 2008-10-21, 4:30am
Run Free Sweet Boy

just wanted to give folks an update on the tutorial progres. I got a lot done over the weekend, and am getting proofs back from my graphics buddy who is doing the assembly of the pics and text. Unfortunately I am once again flat on my back with pain going down both legs. It seesm that sitting at the computer is what is setting it off... grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.I am still aiming for the first of the month as a release date. So, of you dont hear from me for a few days, I have not dropped the ball, I am just not feeling well.

six spine surgeries, a change in weather, and pushing myself are all a recipe for a few days in bed.

Candice

Old 2008-10-21, 4:53am

Quote:

six spine surgeries, a change in weather, and pushing myself are all a recipe for a few days in bed.

Candice
hugs candice. i know how you feel. as much as we all would love to see the tut now.... you have to take care of candice first.

hugs

Old 2008-10-21, 7:08am
Tinder Bloom Studio

No worries! Take care of yourself and the rest will fall into place when the time is right

Thanks for all your hard work!

Old 2008-10-21, 7:13am
giggety-giggety

I'll be posting some prices today (before my head hits the pillow) for the clear neon tubing I can ship. I'm packing up some practice packages (say that 5 times fast) to see how much I can get into the box and am checking the difference in shipping costs between UPS and the Post Office. It would be great to use a flat rate box but because of the length of tubing, that service isn't available through USPS.

Hope you feel better Candice

My etsy:

Old 2008-10-21, 7:27am

Awesome. That sounds so fun to do. Now to get the M15 here to make these. Have been waiting so I can use it for boro. I will be in heaven. The tut sounds devine.

Rose Leslie
Old 2008-10-21, 10:21am
formerly JewelsByJenny

Candace, thank you for all your hard work, take it easy, I hope you feel better soon.

Jenny

Old 2008-10-21, 1:25pm
giggety-giggety

Hi All,
I'm thinking I can offer up the clear tubing at 6.00 per lb.
Here are some examples of the amount of tubing you would get per lb based on mm size. I would send the tubing cut at 24" lengths.

9mm = 4.0 sticks per lb. x 2 (because I would cut them in half)
so...8 (24" lengths)
10mm = 3.4 sticks per lb. x 2 = 6.8 (24" lengths)
12mm = 2.8 sticks per lb. x 2 = 5.6 (24" lengths)
15mm = 2.1 sticks per lb. x 2 = 4.2 (24" lengths)

I don't have a problem with mixing and matching different diameter tubing. This glass is 90 coe (based on a prior post by Candice-correct me if I'm wrong!)

So,...if you ordered 2 lbs of 10mm clear tubing it would cost 12. and you would get 13 (24") tubes. Shipping/insurance extra and would be actual shipping costs.

Hope this makes sense.

My etsy:

Last edited by acmegirl; 2008-10-21 at 9:10pm.
Old 2008-10-21, 1:34pm
HotFlash Designs

I'd like to get some tubing. I think I'd go for the 12mm 2 pounds or so.

How do you want to do that? Shipping would be to 60560.

I'll wait to hear form you on how much, and where to send the $.

Thanks a bunch! I have boro tubing, but no soft.

Sheri

Be Curious. Not judgmental.
Old 2008-10-21, 1:38pm
giggety-giggety

If anyone is interested in my sending any out can you contact me via an email or pm?
p.s. Sheri-got your note! I'll send you pm tonight. Thanks...

My etsy:

Old 2008-10-21, 6:32pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Hi,
Yes it is 90 coe for the bullseye rod, its what I made the pink ornament and the red and white striped ones with.

Saw the doc today... have to schedule a myelogram and CT scan of my back, they think perhaps the next level up in my spine has herniated... yikes.... I dont want back surgery number 7 for christmas.....

Candice

Old 2008-10-21, 7:17pm
Chrissy

Oh you poor thing Candice...I know all about back surgery...both my son's have had them (ages: 27. and 37) the 27 year old has had 2. One to put pins in and one to take them out. My Father has had 2 and my Mother-in- law 1.... SO I feel for you . They should just do the whole back cause after they are done with fusing a few the ones above or below get bad too. You are soooo sweet to even take on doing a tut for all of us...Thanks so much!!!!

Quote:
Hi,

Saw the doc today... have to schedule a myelogram and CT scan of my back, they think perhaps the next level up in my spine has herniated... yikes.... I dont want back surgery number 7 for christmas.....

Candice

Old 2008-10-21, 9:12pm
giggety-giggety

Hugs to you Candice. I'm such a baby-a stiff neck sets me back. I can't imagine what you're dealing with. Please take care of yourself...

My etsy: