Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Business as usual > Shows and Festivals

Shows and Festivals -- Upcoming events

Old 2006-10-23, 8:39pm
admitted choc-o-holic

Kaye, I got an invite a couple years ago, but I don't know how they got my name. My friend did it last year, had fun, but was disappointed in sales after all the expense to get there. C

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2006-10-26, 3:54pm

I've been invited for a few years too but I thought the booth space was too expensive for me. I may be wrong, who knows? LOL I can't imagine doing a 6 day show, that is a long time to stand there. Ususally I do a 2 day show locally and one time it was 3 day and I was exhausted. I only paid about $200 for that space as well so thousands seems really out of my ballpark. I'd have to work steadily for 6 months to have enough inventory to make it viable I think. And that doesn't count in what I'd spend at everybody else's table! LOL

I assumed that I got invited because I belonged to the ISGB. I may be wrong about that now that I see the other posts, maybe she stumbled onto my website? Hmmm......

Ok, whoever goes please post on here so we'll know if it was worth it financially and if it was maybe I'll get busy at the torch for 2008!
Old 2006-10-26, 3:55pm

Another question about this show, and really any show in Tucson......is it mainly other beadmakers and shop owners or does the general public make up a good section of customers?
Old 2006-10-27, 8:56am
HIPPKITTYBEADS

Glad I saw this thread because I too was invited to do the show and I had many questions. As it turns out the dates are conflicting with a trip to Mexico that I just booked. Of course I can't do both and it didn't take me long to figure out what I wanted to do more....duh!
I did email a couple beadmakers that have participated in the past and their consensus was about the same. One of them told me that she took mostly jewelry made from her lampwork and quickly saw that as a mistake because there were so many designers looking to buy beads as components for their own designs. Very valuable information for me because when I do show I sell jewelry not beads, (I sell just beads on Ebay).
I can't fathom being able to sell enough to cover a space fee of $1100-$2200 plus airfare or car expenses, hotel and meals for 6 days. So unless someone can convince me otherwise I probably won't participate in the future.
I also asked the organizer how I came to be invited, (since I don't have my own website), and she said that someone had seen my work on Ebay or glassartists.org.
Helen, I'm glad I saw your post here because you were another person I was going to email for info. Vickie

Nothing at the moment.
Old 2006-11-02, 5:18pm

I have signed up for the show.... and now want to find someone to split a hotel room with! Not sure if here's the place to look, but it was my first thought.

I'm not sure what the posting rules are here as far as email or webbies... so pm me if anyone wants to share or has recommendations for me!! Thanks!!!
Dawn
Old 2006-11-02, 6:16pm
Resident Luny

Just an FYI, splitting tables did end up to be feasible...Carla and I are splitting one and that is making it totally reasonable, esp. for so many days. I am really looking forward to having a booth buddy, and we still each have lots of space.

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2006-11-03, 1:35am
doyenne of the homebodies

I did the show this year, and my best customer of the week bought several pieces of finished jewelry for her gallery, and has placed two more orders with me since then. I'm going back next year. I sold a third of the inventory I took down there, and made a couple business arrangements that turned out well.

For me the hardest part about shows in general is the unpredictability of people's shopping preferences. My solution is to try to take a mix of what I do, but I'm starting to rethink that....I think I need to focus my inventory more.

Andrea
Old 2006-11-04, 6:50pm
just another tool fool...

Loco and I are splitting a booth at To Bead True Blue. For me, this will be the second year at Tucson, but my first year for this particular show. Last year I shared with Turtle Moon Arts at Bead Renaissance.

Sharing the booth was great fun and did ease the pressure of having to manage a booth by myself. I wasn't terribly impressed with the location of that show and hope that the change of venues will make it better for us this year.

Click banner for my Etsy:

Old 2006-11-05, 8:39pm
Resident Luny

Yay I get to meet you! And see Loco again! =)

- artisan lampwork beads, jewelry, and a little bit of rock n' roll.

Be kind to one another. The world needs it more than ever.
Old 2006-11-06, 6:06am

I got a phone call the other day from these people. It sounded like a great show, but there's no way I could go the expense of it. Booth fees, plane tickets, hotel room, rental car.

Old 2006-11-06, 7:25am
ChiWowWow Mom

I spent way too much money at the last To Bead True Blue and Best Bead.

As a buyer I would encourage you to email, or drop a card to your customers and let them know where you will be located in Tucson and the opening days for the show(s) you are doing. Many of my Bead addicted friends plan their Tucson shows around their favorite Artists. Have plenty of business cards... I have made repeat buys from probably 40% of the Artists that I discovered in Tucson.

If you set up at 2 locations try to have a mix of your work at both locations.
Last year I rushed to get into Best Bead on opening day to buy from a particular artist. Unknown to me the Artist that I wanted to buy from was at another venue across town and the Spouse was set up at Best Bead. The Spouse was more than 15 minutes late...didn't have any beads out...and when they were finally set out the "speciality" beads that I came to buy were all at the location across town. Needless to say I was VERY disappointed.

I saw lots of Artists that were sharing booth space... I would try to find someone to share space with whose work is sufficiently different from yours. This way you draw a mix of customers and your work does not compete with each others...so there are fewer hard feelings.

Above all act like you are happy to be there and having a great time no matter what kind of a day you are having. I still remember the lady at True Blue who sat there with a really sad face. She had beautiful work and I bought several of her beads...I would have probably bought more, but she acted like she just didn't want to be there and be bothered.
Old 2006-11-08, 7:37am
caffiene, beads, bedhead,

Catherine Weaver and I will be sharing a table there this year! its our first show im nervous and excited!!! and I cant wait to meet you all!!! lol maybe we should make LE name tags., or wear ribbons in our hair?
good luck to everyone!
xo Laurie

~~
~~
Old 2007-06-19, 11:46pm

Angry To Bead True Blue

I had a very bad experience at To Bead True Blue 2007, along with many, many other exhibitors. If you would like a copy of my experience contact me and I will e-mail it to you. creationsbychristina@tampabay.rr.com. I had finished fused glass jewelry, lampwork beaded jewelry and hand painted silks. It was not a artisan show, it was a bead show. Spent over $3000.00 getting there and I sold $131.00 for the whole 6 day show. If you are going to do the show, have lots of beads or components for sale, not finished work. Customers are coming to buy beads so they can make their own jewelry. Not buy finished pieces. I felt very mislead by the promoter. I drove from Florida to Tucson.

I was in the "Redondo Pavilion" as Anna the promoter call it, it was really "the Tent"

Christina Lee

Last edited by christina lee; 2007-08-30 at 9:24am. Reason: to add a comment
Old 2007-06-20, 8:19am

I did this show 2007 and overall I'm glad I did it, but don't plan on doing it again. I drove from New Orleans, and the 22hr drive was exhasuting! The show was very unorganized with many vendors standing around waiting to be told where they were since the layout wasn't correct. The first day we waited hours for electricity hookups and then it kept going down. The 'tent' was literally that, and everyone out there was very upset with their location. They paid the same amount as those of us inside from the cold rain... yet the customers didn't want to venture out into the weather to see what was out there. The building layout was very confusing and on setup day I actually couldn't find the room I was supposed to be in. The room I was in could not be accessed from the front door of the building. Instead, people had to walk around the outside of the building and enter the back entrance for the 3 back rooms.

Another neg to my experience was that I did the trip solo. I was unable to leave my booth and shop... which was my main (ok, second ) reason for being out there. When I wanted a bathroom break or to stretch my legs, I had to see if a nearby booth could cover for me. If you do the show, bring a buddy!!

There was a silver vendor about 2 booths away from me, so I was able to spend plenty of money still. I bought what I 'thought' would last me at least 6 months, at a very good wholesale price. Had I not spent that, I would have come home with a profit about equal to what I spent for the trip/show total. Having bought all I did... I ended up $200 upside down for the trip overall.

Hope this helps someone in their decision for next year's show. I know they'll be sending out the invitations for 2008 really soon.

Dawn
http://jewelrybydawn.com
Old 2007-06-20, 7:57pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaye View Post
how does one get invited...I have never been invited to any shows...guess I am not show material in whoever's eyes that does the invites
It is my understanding that all you have to do is ask and you will be invited to that show. I have sold in Tucson for 13 years at The Whole Bead Show and I love it! I think there are still openings on the 2nd floor of the hotel. It would be a great place to start especially of 3 people split the fees and room. Info is available at wholebead.com
Good Luck! Lois
Old 2007-07-25, 8:33pm

I live in Sierra Vista, AZ and the only way I knew there was a show in Tucson
was because a friend had a booth and told me about it. I never seen any adv
ertising on TV or the newspaper. If it is not publicised the only people you will get is people that already know it will be their. I went and their were very
little of the general public , alot of beadmakers. The work was some of the best I have ever seen. I can't wait till it is here again. You guys ROCK
Good luck Teresa Justice