No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-08-20, 5:26pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Is there any update on when the tools are shipping? I am jonesing

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2008-08-20, 6:49pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
Hi guys,

Still here, metal shavings piling up... in my hair, (what's left of it) black hands, fingernails, tools piled 5 inches deep, I'm a mess, I look like %*(&

But... I'm shipping again. Only got six out today, but I have more finished, just didn't get them packed in time. I'll have more done tomorrow too. I've emailed you already if your tool has shipped.

I had some serious equipment issues to deal with, and 60 BeaDreamers to make in the middle of all this, and the hard drive that controls my machines crashed, had to replace the entire operating system a while back, and lost all the BeaDreamer control code so had to rewrite that, ... whew. I'm beat, but still standin'! BeaDreamers are due in inside of a week and I'll have enough to cover all outstanding orders.

I've invested $500.00 in new equipment to speed this thing up. I had some of it shipped overnight at a glorious cost so I could save a few days that way. It'll be here tomorrow AM. These will really help in making the bases go a lot faster.

I know it's taken a lot more time than anyone including me expected, but I'm staying on top of it, doing everthing I can to make sure these are done right, and as quickly as possible. I'm doing 12+ hours most days and I will not let anyone down.

Thursday I'll be in the shop all day, but Friday AM I have to take all four cats to the vet for shots... They just love that... If I survive the loss of blood, I'll be right back at it as soon as we get home.

Regards,
Dave

Quote:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-08-20, 7:09pm

Well I didn't get an e-mail, so I am still guessing as to when to expect the new tool. gayle
Old 2008-08-20, 7:21pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
Well I didn't get an e-mail, so I am still guessing as to when to expect the new tool. gayle
Patience, grasshopper . I haven't gotten an email yet either, but I know it will be soon now .

Sounds like he's making headway!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-20, 9:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by gayle janczarek View Post
Hi Gayle,

I understand. I really do. I really wish there was more I could do to make it faster. I've made some changes as I said that should help a lot real soon. I hope yours wiil be on your bench sometime next week. I think that's probably about right, but we'll see. There are still about twenty five orders ahead of yours.

These take a long time to make, but I'm working hard to get that down, and a lot of folks jumped on it right off the bat, all at once. I'm sorry, but iit's just going to be a while till that initial rush of orders is done. That's just the way it is.

Guys, what I said a few posts back about emails... don't take that the wrong way. I didn't mean to ask you not to email and ask. I just meant I would have to stop responding immediately to each one as they come in. I'm still keeping up with them pretty well, and I don't mind you asking. Just be ready to wait a day or so for an answer, but I'll do that, and I won't bite.

So don't feel like you can't ask me directly. I didn't mean that. I just had to take a couple days to get caught up a little on the work rather than spending literally all day at the computer. No sweat, ask away. I'll get to them as I can find the time.

Thanks,
Dave

Old 2008-08-21, 1:00am
I need more boro stuff

I will wait until you are not that busy before placing an order, Dave.

It will give me more time to save up as well.

You need a rest, and don't stress out too much

Old 2008-08-21, 3:29am

Dave, thanks for the response. And I was actually trying to keep this post at the top. gayle
Old 2008-08-21, 5:39am
Mad about Glass

Take it easy Dave. We don't want you collapsing in a heap.

Good luck with the cats!!!

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-08-21, 10:37am

Default order date?

Dave,

Could you tell us what order date you are up to? I ordered mine around July 23. I have e-mailed twice since then but did not get a response. I have been trying to watch this thread to stay posted but still can't tell when I might expect mine.

I would appreciate any answer I can get.

Tobi
Old 2008-08-21, 11:42am

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
I will wait until you are not that busy before placing an order, Dave.

It will give me more time to save up as well.

You need a rest, and don't stress out too much

me, too
Old 2008-08-22, 4:32am

Hi Dave,

I have just noticed that the new pegs you have listed are not the right size for me. The silver tube that I can buy here in the UK is:
5mm OD with a 3.8mm ID
5.5mm OD with a 4.2mm ID
6mm OD with a 4.6mm ID

Is it possible to make the above sized pegs instead and amend my order (ID : 394627)?

I realize that you are somewhat snowed under but I would be very grateful for a reply and I can let the other beadmakers on the Frit Happens forum know your answer.

Many thanks,
Charlotte
Old 2008-08-22, 5:54pm

I got my beadliner today! What size mandrel should I make the bead on to fit the brass or silver I will purchase very soon that comes with it. I read through this entire thing. Is it 1/4 "? Thanks for any help!
Old 2008-08-23, 7:07am

Juliac

What date did you order yours. I am just trying to figure out when I might expect mine?
Old 2008-08-23, 10:14am
Sorry for party rockin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juliac View Post
I got my beadliner today! What size mandrel should I make the bead on to fit the brass or silver I will purchase very soon that comes with it. I read through this entire thing. Is it 1/4 "? Thanks for any help!

Hey Julia - the tool comes standard to fit 1/4" tubing (the specs of the tubing is on the first page of this thread). I make my beads on 1/4" mandrels, light coating of release, and purchased the sterling tubing from rio grande.

Old 2008-08-23, 2:21pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ekkie View Post
Take it easy Dave. We don't want you collapsing in a heap.

Good luck with the cats!!!

Jenn
Ditto.

I know we are all just so excited to get them. I have my tubing and polishing supplies and beads made just waiting. It's so much fun to get a new "toy"!

Everyone that's gotten theirs please post more pictues!

Amy
Old 2008-08-25, 9:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimr2 View Post
Juliac

What date did you order yours. I am just trying to figure out when I might expect mine?
I ordered mine in July. It took a while!
Old 2008-08-25, 9:43am

Thanks Ginny! They seem like a big hole for the bracelet, I havve 1 rod that size. I might have to get the other posts.
Old 2008-08-25, 5:09pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by glimr2 View Post
Dave,

Could you tell us what order date you are up to? I ordered mine around July 23. I have e-mailed twice since then but did not get a response. I have been trying to watch this thread to stay posted but still can't tell when I might expect mine.

I would appreciate any answer I can get.

Tobi
Hi Tobi,

Sorry about that.
Everything through 8-1 and a couple from 8-2 are finished and ready to ship, yours included. I had to stop in my tracks and do redesign of the base which made it much faster and easier to manufacture, so that should show up in increased output now.

I'll be shipping 14 out tomorrow. I keeping busy, promise!

There is a new Articles page on the new site. Follow the link on AITR to the Impress site, and click ARTICLES. At this moment, there is just one on changing the pegs. I have written several, and will try to get them up soon, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the editor on Pappashop. Tech support is working on it.

Regards,
Dave

Old 2008-08-25, 5:28pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveF View Post
Hi Tobi,

Sorry about that.
Everything through 8-1 and a couple from 8-2 are finished and ready to ship, yours included. I had to stop in my tracks and do redesign of the base which made it much faster and easier to manufacture, so that should show up in increased output now.

I'll be shipping 14 out tomorrow. I keeping busy, promise!

There is a new Articles page on the new site. Follow the link on AITR to the Impress site, and click ARTICLES. At this moment, there is just one on changing the pegs. I have written several, and will try to get them up soon, but I'm having a bit of trouble with the editor on Pappashop. Tech support is working on it.

Regards,
Dave
Ooooh - this date includes me! OMG, I am so excited about getting mine! I must have 75 beads made to core!

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-25, 7:09pm
Mad about Glass

Ooooh, how exciting - I ordered 3rd August so I mine must be ready soon!!!!

Jenn

[url]

Old 2008-08-25, 7:12pm

So from reading here the Beadreamers are out of stock? I ordered one at the beginning of August, and was checking here for info. Sound like Dave's busy!
Old 2008-08-25, 7:39pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

they've never been "in stock" per se - he is working on filling orders. I think after he gets caught up, he expects a 10 day or so waiting period. It's in one of his earlier posts.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-25, 8:01pm

Hi Dave does that mean I have on on the way to me in Australia, I paid on the 22nd July, I can't wait

Cheers Jane
Old 2008-08-27, 10:19am
Sorry for party rockin'

I got my tool and am having fun playing with it!! It's very easy to use after you do a couple of practice beads

Got a question though - - what is deburring and how do you do it? I can tell that when I cut my tubing, it needs some "finishing" because the edge isn't smooth. I have small files, but do I need a specific/special tool to smooth out my tubing before flaring? I can tell that if I do nothing, my finished cap looks sort of crappy. Just some basic instructions would be great

Old 2008-08-27, 10:31am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

You need to us a small file to smooth the edges of the tubing before you flare it. A small flat file should do the trick.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-27, 2:01pm
I need more boro stuff

Quote:
You need to us a small file to smooth the edges of the tubing before you flare it. A small flat file should do the trick.
I think half round file is better, fits inside curve of the tube.

Old 2008-08-27, 2:04pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by gubnavnania View Post
I think half round file is better, fits inside curve of the tube.
A half round works great on the inside curve of the tubing - I agree. I should have elaborated on where I use the flat file - I use it on the top flat edge of the tubing.

DOG is my co-pilot
Old 2008-08-28, 5:38am
Sorry for party rockin'

Thanks for the tips . . . I'll look into a half round file too

Old 2008-08-28, 6:10am
Resident hippie

And that's what de-burring is Ginny - cleaning up the little bits around the edge of the cut silver or whatever.

Anna

Have FUN!!!!! It's not about perfection..... Leslie - [not so] Crazy Woman

Old 2008-08-28, 7:47am

Any suggestions as to what kind and where to get tool for cutting the silver tubes?