Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2013-02-25, 8:48am
Mr Brutus RIP

Default Any one using beadhoppers? I have question

Hi
I just got a few things from corinas beadhoppers and they are SO cool!
What do you put on the little screw to keep it from coming undone tho?
I'm afraid it might untwist and loose the bead and all since that happened to me before. I had one of the changeable barbell looking things and in the Disney World parking lot it came undone.....I crawled around looking for all my stuff, and never wore it again

I was thinking loctite but I don't know if its a permanent thing and I dont' want it to be permanent.

Thanks
Sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-02-25, 9:14am

Loctite is a brand name, they have a few different strengths that should work well.
You only need a little bit.
The beadhopper folks may have a suggestion on what strength to use.
There are a few other adhesives.

Old 2013-02-25, 9:52am

This is why I don't use the kinds that unscrew from the bottom, they always come undone.

Old 2013-02-25, 4:05pm

Hi Sue,

I just ordered a starter set last week to see how they work. Curious about your concern........

~
~
~
~
Old 2013-02-25, 4:22pm
Melody of Glass

I do like the sets from Michael Barley for that reason - they clip in from the top. No screws. I have a ring and a necklace that screw in and I'm always worried about them coming undone.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-25, 5:17pm

I recently made my first pendent with BeadHoppers and gave it to my sister. I did not glue it at all. She has worn it multiple time without any problem. The screw on bottoms seem to be very secure.
Old 2013-02-25, 5:33pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Well Corina suggested using a plyer to tighten (what she uses) or a bit of silicone which will hold till u need it undone. They really are beautiful and look awesome with all the little caps and my beads.com. I already used them all for myself !

Old 2013-02-25, 5:37pm
Melody of Glass

I do like the look with all the stacking pieces. I change mine out daily so wouldn't bother with pliers and silicone but if you make them and wear them as is for a while, it's a good idea.

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Coming soon...

Old 2013-02-25, 5:52pm

I love the Beadhopper concept but I've had two fall apart on me and I made one for my daughter and she reported it fell apart. I don't think I would give one as a gift without putting some sort of adhesive on it.

Old 2013-02-25, 7:42pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I wonder if one of those little rubber rings in clear would help for a temporary wear........

I'm going to try the silicone so I can change when I'm tired of looking at the same bead

Old 2013-02-25, 8:42pm

I've tried using a little clear nail polish and it works great! Never had a problem with anything ever coming off!
Old 2013-02-26, 5:00am
Run Free Sweet Boy

I also vote for nail polish

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."
Old 2013-02-26, 5:27am
Unmedicated since '62

You guys should give Corina some feedback if there's an issue with the screw falling off, we played with them a fair bit and it seemed secure to me

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2013-02-26, 6:35pm

I have some and love them. I even made two different Mickey Mouse pendants from the Upick 9 challenge. Those beads are pretty heavy, wore it all day multiple times to the Disney parks and happy to report no issues.
Jen
Old 2013-02-26, 8:18pm

I have been using Beadhoppers for a couple of months now and never had a problem. I tighten them so I need pliers (covered) to undo them.

Liz

Old 2013-02-26, 8:34pm
Loving learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by moushka View Post
I have some and love them. I even made two different Mickey Mouse pendants from the Upick 9 challenge. Those beads are pretty heavy, wore it all day multiple times to the Disney parks and happy to report no issues.
Jen
Did anyone ask you about your necklaces?
Old 2013-02-26, 8:44pm

Yes. A number of other guests and a lot of the workers. Rather than explain the upick game....I just say a friend made them for me.

I love them.

Jen
Old 2013-02-26, 8:46pm
Loving learning

Much better than spending all your time there trying to explain!
I'm honored that you used one of my beads if they're the ones you showed in the game, and still laugh that my hat fit someone elses head/ears!
Old 2013-02-26, 8:49pm

When we go for a weekend, I usually wear yours one day and the other one in my picture, the following day. My daughter has confiscated the picture charm that I rc'd. This weekend we are going and bringing my niece and nephew..... curious to see if my niece wants to wear anything...... I am honored to wear your bead.
Old 2013-02-26, 8:57pm
Loving learning

I should make something with mine, I just show them off to friends so far.
Maybe I'll be inspired to wear some now!
Old 2013-02-26, 10:18pm

The necklaces are incredible and there's no way those will come off! I email Corina all the time, she also said nail polish or nothing, she's road tested them a lot with nothing and never had a problem. They are very well made.

She'll be out of the country teaching for a month, but if you're concerned, you could write to the guy who makes them who's on the website. These are constructed really well, not like may I've tried where the bead has dropped off
Old 2013-02-26, 11:12pm
Mr Brutus RIP

I did write to corina and she suggested pliers or silicone. I have both so I figured I'd give silicone a try but honestly nail polish seems really good..........no gooey mess!
Thank you Karrina!
Sue