LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-06-23, 1:56pm

Default Curved Hollow Bead

Does anyone know how these curved green hollow beads are made? I heard that the Italians have curved mandrels that are then eaten away by chemicals after the beads are completed. Is this true? How else could they be made?

Thanks

Lyn
Lyn Foley Beads and Lampwork
http://www.LynFoley.com
Old 2014-06-23, 2:09pm
Dichro Addict

I'm no expert on hollow beads, but I would guess they are large hollow beads that were heated up enough to droop a bit.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-06-23, 2:18pm

Perhaps they are made from tube glass?
Old 2014-06-23, 4:53pm

Can't say how those beads were made, but one way they can be made is with a brass mandrel. This Akihiro Ohkama video shows how http://www.artcoinc.com/jls_dvd.php

There were also a couple articles in Glass Line starting with August/September, 2012 - Vol. 26, No. 2, Laurie Nessel. 2 part article, if I remember correctly
Old 2014-06-23, 5:30pm
lurking on LE since 2005

If you look at how the holes are oriented, the mandrel must be curved. That's got to be a challenge.

J-55

Check out my Encasing and HOLLOW tri-color Tutorials in my Etsy shop-and my NEW encased, layered, feathered bead!

Old 2014-06-24, 7:05am

Don't think I am ready to spring for the cost of the video. The brass mandrel is curved, then how to get the bead off? Any ideas?

Thank you Lyn
Old 2014-06-24, 7:37am

I just googled "curved mandrel" and what caught my eye was something by Inspiration tool works regarding a continuous curve, which makes sense. Also, to use bead release that releases easily. He was talking about solid beads, though, so I think removing hollow beads might be easier. Haven't tried it, though!

Mimi
Old 2014-06-25, 6:25am
Glass-aholic

You could achieve a similar effect with a straight mandrel, a hollow mandrel and a spoon.

If you really want that exact shape you could build up the top sides with a little dab of glass and work it up so that it looks like a more C shape curl on top. (So it's the same shape with a re-orientated hole)

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:

Last edited by jaci; 2014-06-25 at 6:28am.
Old 2014-06-25, 6:35am
dances with ideas...

Leslie Thiel has a different method, and there is a dvd available.
http://www.abrimagery.com/product_in...-thiel-p-38846

Old 2014-06-30, 5:14am

I'm pretty sure the green hollow tube is blown, without a mandrel. Leslie's technique, which works really well, is for a solid bead. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.

Tags
curved hollow