Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-01-07, 4:57pm

Default CIM Hades vs. Tuxedo

Hi everyone! So far my "goto" black has been Hades. I would like to know what the primary difference is between CIM Hades and Tuxedo. I've noticed recently that some vendors may only have Hades Stringers but full size rods of Tuxedo. Thanks in advance

Duane

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
REVAMPED WEBSITE NOW OPEN

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-01-07, 5:12pm

Glad you asked, Duane. I was wondering about the difference too.

Old 2010-01-07, 5:13pm
Jacqueline Parkes

What is the deal with Hades anyways? I have not tried it yet. Is it a better black to use with silver glasses?

Old 2010-01-07, 5:16pm
Life is change. Love it

It is AWESOME with silver glass. This set is Hades with Aurae. It also reacts beautifully with silver foil and leaf. I haven't been able to get Hades for a while. I am using Hades Unique right now, but it webs like Intense Black when heated too much.

I need more Hades. BTW, I have Tuxedo, but haven't used it yet. I really should try it!
Attached Images

Last edited by Carolyn M; 2010-01-07 at 5:18pm.
Old 2010-01-07, 5:40pm
I speak Murrini!

...and is bomb-diggity with silver foil burned in and dots of Poppy slowly melted:

I love Hades!

De

"Only a fool rushes to his own demise..." ~Zorro
Old 2010-01-07, 5:48pm
Princess Odd . . . lot

I think that Tuxedo is a less dense black than Hades is. I think the best part about Hades is that you can put a thin layer or pull a stringer and it's still black but doesn't web as easily as Effetre Intense Black. I would think that the Tuxedo would be comparable to regular black from Effetre or Vetrofond. It all depends on what you want to do with it.

I agree with the previous comments on how Hades reacts with silver/silver glass as well.
Old 2010-01-07, 6:25pm
Lampworkaholic!

Hades is an intense black. Tuxedo is a regular black.

It's like the difference between Effetre 066 Intense Black and Effetre 064 Black.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-07, 6:26pm
Jacqueline Parkes

Oh.........

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post

It's like the difference between Effetre 066 Intense Black and Effetre 064 Black.

Old 2010-01-07, 6:33pm

This is what Hades does with a stringer of CIM Chalcedony that has been wrapped in silver foil. Once the stringer was melted into the bead, the bead was flashed through a reduction flame.

Tuxedo will not give the same reaction.

Old 2010-01-07, 6:34pm
Jacqueline Parkes

That is very kewl!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalflipz View Post
This is what Hades does with a stringer of CIM Chalcedony that has been wrapped in silver foil. Once the stringer was melted into the bead, the bead was flashed through a reduction flame.

Old 2010-01-07, 7:02pm
Tacki

Quote:
Originally Posted by erose View Post

True, but when it's on very thin it's not purple-y like Effetre is. It's more like a dark gray.

I don't even use effetre black anymore. I only use Hades and Tuxedo. If it's silvered glass, I use Hades for reactions, and if it's regular glass and I just want black, I use Tuxedo since it's cheaper. I love them both
Old 2010-01-07, 7:30pm
And silence is golden

Carol! That is amazing! Thank you for sharing that tip.
Old 2010-01-07, 7:42pm
Micromosaic and Lampwork

Guess what's on my shopping list...

Old 2010-01-07, 7:42pm

And this is Hades with Taxco over it. Look at the blue that showed up. I love Hades, and now I'm gonna have to go and get some Tuxedo.

Old 2010-01-07, 8:01pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:

CIM Chalcedony or just Chalcedony?

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2010-01-07, 9:09pm

Squid it's CIM Chalcedony. I just did some beads with silvered Mermaid over Hades and they are amazing! I'll try and get pix tomorrow after work.

Old 2010-01-07, 9:14pm
Lampworkaholic!

Carol that is just beautiful. Do you make the silvered stringer like silvered ivory or is it some other technique? I just got some Mermaid today, and it's too freaking cold here in Texas to torch.

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2010-01-07, 9:15pm
And silence is golden

I can see this is going to be a fun thread!
Old 2010-01-07, 9:30pm

I make my stringers from Amber - Naos' instructions in this tutorial
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24881
You can also do a silvered stringer like regular SIS but the effect is not as strong because there is less silver.
This is a crappy pix - took it in a hurry - but you can see the mermaid stringer and the glow that develops on the hades around the stringer. I really love this color combo!

Old 2010-01-07, 10:41pm
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

What the cuss is CIM Chalcedony?

Crap, now I need Tuxedo....

--Joy

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2010-01-08, 7:01am
Angie09

Quote:
Squid it's CIM Chalcedony. I just did some beads with silvered Mermaid over Hades and they are amazing! I'll try and get pix tomorrow after work.
Question:

When you say "silvered Mermaid over Hades" are you laying the Hades first, then applying a silvered Mermaid stringer over it? Or are you combining all three in the stringer?
Old 2010-01-08, 7:15am
Life is change. Love it

I would gues it is a base of Hades with silvered stringer over the top. The Hades is reacting to the silver in the stringer. You can probably use pretty much any silvered stringer and get a similar result.

Old 2010-01-08, 8:33am
And silence is golden

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoulderGlassMonkey View Post
What the cuss is CIM Chalcedony?

Crap, now I need Tuxedo....

--Joy
CiM Chalcedony is just a pretty light blue with a slight periwinkle cast to it. Nothing special. I think the glass that is showcased in this thread is the CiM Hades.

Here is a bead made with CiM Chalcedony
Old 2010-01-08, 8:40am
Lampworkaholic!

Quote:
I make my stringers from Amber - Naos' instructions in this tutorial
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=24881
You can also do a silvered stringer like regular SIS but the effect is not as strong because there is less silver.
This is a crappy pix - took it in a hurry - but you can see the mermaid stringer and the glow that develops on the hades around the stringer. I really love this color combo!
How do you get the silver leaf/foil to stick to the cold stringer?

Old 2010-01-08, 6:02pm

If you wet the stringer first, then roll the stringer around it, wet your fingers and roll the foil wrapped stringer between your fingers, it will stick. I usually wrap 1/2 sheet of foil around the stringer when I do this.
The base bead is Hades, the foil wrapped stringer is melted onto the bead, melted flat and then reduced in a soft reducing flame.

Old 2010-01-08, 6:04pm

Carolyn, it will work with any color silvered stringer, but you will get slightly different reactions based upon the base color of the stringer. Some colors seem to produce more blue tones and some more purples.

Old 2010-01-09, 3:49am
Lover of all things color

WOW, these are amazing tips. Thanks guys. Wish it would warm up so I could try these out.

Duane, back to your original question, the CIM website says that it's their version of intense black whereas Tuxedo is just their basic black.
http://www.creationismessy.com/palette.aspx?id=10

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con