No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2010-08-14, 10:38pm
Francesca

Smile New Studio

Hi, I have been lampworking for over a year, took a class in Florence, Italy while on vacation, and am severely hooked on glass!! I have been working in a screened in porch and now am getting a Tuff Shed. Yay! Before I finalize my order, how many windows would be ideal? 2 is what I am thinking. Because I have basically been doing this "outside", ventilation had not really dawned on me until I started reading a bunch of threads. So, that being said any and all
reccomendations would be greatly appreciated. Also I am getting a window a/c because I live in Louisiana and it is HOT and VERY humid. Thanks for your time!

Minor burner propane and oxygen tanks
Old 2010-08-16, 10:57am

Hi--I'm in the process of having a new glass studio built in my yard. Since my original studio was built thirteen years ago I learned things I should have considered back then. My original studio will be strictly for metals, enameling and lapidary.

I think the number of windows you need depends on a few things. Will you have an exhaust system that will be vented out of a window or will you have it vented through some sort of wall cut? You'll need another window to open for make-up air unless you have a separate in-wall vent/fan (in an opposite wall) for this purpose.

Finally, if you plan to have a window air conditioner, make sure the window size will accommodate standard size air conditioners. My contractor put in standard size windows in my first studio--or what he considered standard. The width was fine, but the height limited my choice of air conditioners. I have a 'low profile' one but they are hard to find, limiting in the btu's and quite a bit more expensive than run of the mill a/c's. This time around I'm opting for an in-wall air conditioner/heating unit. I'm skipping the baseboard. If you have a lot of benches and tool chests around the perimeter of the space, the baseboard is blocked and pretty useless--at least that's my experience.

I'm not sure how much customizing you can do with prefab type sheds but just want to pass on my lessons learned. Hope they help. Good luck. There's nothing better than your own creative space.
Old 2010-08-17, 12:44pm
Francesca

Thanks for your advice! From everything I have read here, I am getting a hood to vent which will be cut into ceiling or wall, along with return air vents, 2 or 3. As far as the A/C goes, we will just cut into the wall for the unit. So then I don't have to worry about the window issue with that. Do you lampwork with your windows open? Is it important to do that? With a ventilation system?
Old 2010-08-17, 2:25pm

Hi--Yes, I have the exhaust hood over my torch and I make sure there's a window opened partially behind me for the make up air. Not the most efficient use of energy when the a/c or heat is on but absolutely necessary. But the new studio will have an operable wall vent for make-up air so I won't have to open a window.
Old 2010-08-17, 6:07pm
BeadsonCypress

Believe it not, some of my best torching days are when it is raining!

7+ years and growing - Mini-CC and O2 generator
Old 2010-08-17, 7:33pm

I keep a window open some even in the winter. With a wall unit for heat for winter. But summer I have refrigerated air. If the summers are anything like I remember in Lafayette.(We used to lived there Years ago) I would use the AC. My building is 12x16 and I have two windows. One for the vent to go out and the other on the opposite wall and I keep it raised some. I wished I had put a third window in, mainly to look out as I work.
I have it insulated and sheet rocked too. It keeps in cooler in summer and warmer in the winter.
The main thing is having plenty of electrical outlets. My building is wired for 100 amps. But I do metalwork too. Be sure and check your voltage on everything you are going to use and might want to use in the future. It will save alot of headache later. Talk to qualified electrican and they will help you out. Some kilns take a 20 amp. You cann't put a 20 amp into a 15. But you can put a 15 into a 20. So check your kiln.
Hope this helps .
Janet C.

Last edited by Janetlee; 2010-08-17 at 7:34pm. Reason: typo
Old 2010-08-18, 4:57am
Francesca

We are definitely going to insulate and drywall!!! And we spoke with an electrician last week about power, I know what you mean, I would rather have too much than have to go back and re-do!!! Tuff-shed is delivering this Tuesday!! Yippee!!
Old 2010-08-18, 8:00am

Be sure and post pictures of your new studio. Would love to see it.
Have fun and enjoy fixing it up. I remember how excited I was of mine. Like a kid in a candy store. lol
Janet C.
Old 2010-08-18, 10:36am
Curmudgeon Engineering

--You can never have enough power.
--Check out the thread showing the makeup air ducted to the bench back edge; it really saves on ACing the room.
--Save one wall for your torch station; with one wall having the door and one wall blank for your torch bench that leaves 2 walls for windows. Good natural light and a breeze when the AC is too much. And you wont get that closed in feeling. Maybe even a window in the door. My makeup air comes into the studio thru a door and filter.

PJ
Old 2010-08-18, 6:43pm
Francesca

Yes, I am thinking of setting up my bench on the back wall with a vent hood and ducts on the side like Mary K has, 2 windows, one on each side, then on the other side will be the door with 9 sidelights in it. Will post pic's soon!! Thank you everyone for your encouragement!
Old 2010-09-17, 10:38am
Francesca

Talking Pictures of Progress

We are making progress, hopefully a few more weeks and I will be good to go!!
Old 2010-09-17, 11:35am
Salt Box Beads

Gorgeous. Welcome and I can't wait to see it all finished with a messy bench showing how much fun you are having making beads.

I personally like skylights.
Old 2010-09-23, 7:32am

Hi, I just joined Lampwork Etc. a couple of days ago, so just saw your post. Did you take lampworking from Tim James at Beaded Lily in Florence? My husband and I went there last November for our anniversary and I took classes from Tim at that time. Totally fell in love with lampworking and of course his dog Siesta.
My husband just finished building me a studio that will be ready to go by this weekend. Will try to post photos.
Old 2010-09-23, 11:29am
Francesca

Yes, I sure did! Tim was a great teacher. Can't wait to see your photos!! I need to get back to work on mine!
Old 2010-09-24, 5:10am
old fart

make sure to put insulation in walls, floor, and ceiling. then install a heater and air conditioner. that way you can use your studio year round typically with the door closed. you need to have a dedicated ventilation duct ( 6 to 8 inches depending on which torch you plan to use) and a make up air duct that is larger than your ventilation duct. make sure that any propane tanks are not located near your make up air duct. your make up air duct will be bringing outside air into your studio, and this air can be hot and humid in the summer, or cold in the winter. in the winter, preheat the studio before you go out so its nice an warm and the kiln is warmed up. and in the summer you pre-chill the studio. in the fall and spring you can just use outside air. this will give you a few hours until the studio atmosphere is overpowered by the outside conditions.

you will need to run a power main into the studio for your kiln, concentrator, heater, air conditioner, lights, TV, stereo..... a minimum of 50 amps @240V.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by laserglass; 2010-09-24 at 5:18am.
Old 2010-09-24, 6:32am
Francesca

Thanks Mark! We are in the process of finishing electrical, then onto insulation and I am opting for plywood instead of drywall. Already have the a/c and heat covered. After that I need to get with a sheet metal guy about the hood, have the squirrel cage already, then vents, lights, etc... It's a lot of fun, but I CANNOT wait to get in there and have some fun!
Old 2010-09-25, 1:28pm
honorary bead lady

If the sheet metal guy is high on the hood consider a stock tank, Make sure your vent is at least 10' away from your makeup air intake.

*Sorry bout that!

Last edited by houptdavid; 2010-09-26 at 4:10pm.
Old 2010-09-25, 7:02pm
Gentleman of Leisure

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
If the sheet metal guy is high on the hood consider a stock tank, Make sure your vent is at least 10" away from your makeup air intake.
Feet, not inches....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-09-26, 8:21pm
Pyro Tyro

Quote:
Originally Posted by houptdavid View Post
If the sheet metal guy is high on the hood consider a stock tank, Make sure your vent is at least 10' away from your makeup air intake.
How do you do that if your space is not that big?? My torch is in front of and vented out one window. There's another window 3 feet away (same wall) and then a sliding door (to outside) about 5-6 feet from the torch and on the wall at a rt angle to the windows' wall.

At this point in time, I torch w/ the windows and the door open... but that's won't last when the weather gets cold. Ideas?

- Jill

PS Nice looking studio Fano!

Old 2010-12-03, 3:34pm
Francesca

Well the walls are done, electrical done, a/c in, painted, floor in, vent work done, and today my hood came in. Yipppeee!!! I got a great deal ($110) on a broken stainless hood, don't need the guts anyway! So we will be busy this weekend!! Will post more pics soon.
Old 2010-12-14, 10:42am
Francesca

Smile It's FINISHED!!!!!!!!!

I am thrilled beyond belief!! Never could hook up with a sheet metal guy so, I got three aluminum sheets for bench top and metal tiles for in front of torch. And that ended up being way cheaper than sheet metal! Off to torch!