Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2007-06-26, 2:40pm

Default Position of Exhaust fan???

Well I'm finally getting my old shed redone so that I can torch. Ever since I had an expeience with a hose and OPD valve, I decided it's best to torch in an out building. I was going to place the kitchen hood fan (350/360 CFM) just at the top of the garden window, so that I could at least look out and see some foliage, but I think that the plume would just fill the space and hang around rather than exhaust all of it to the outside. I'm going to try to send pictures. I've never sent pictures to this site.
I'm showing outside of garden window, inside of window and back wall. Nowhere near finished. Any help, opinions or suggestions would be appreciated very much.

Thanks, Audrey
Old 2007-06-26, 9:19pm
Gentleman of Leisure

For this situation I think the fan/hood, if mounted at top edge of "garden window" will be too high to be effective (assuming work table/torch in front of window) .

Also going to say that I think 350 cfm is not nearly enough if fan/hood is above window's top edge....

And opening side windows in "garden window" is going to do very little for any ventilation help.

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-06-26 at 9:26pm.
Old 2007-06-26, 9:49pm

Default Position of Exhaust Fan

Thanks Dale, If I enclosed back and sides, hopefully with a clear (plexiglass?) material and lowered fan hood would that help? Otherwise, I guess I could put torch and fan on another wall? Though not my first choice of view. Function and safety are primary. Any other suggestions? Thanks in advance, Audrey
Old 2007-06-27, 10:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

I'm thinking that a nice big (750cfm) fan mounted in the sloped glass "roof" of garden window (replace it with something easy to work with) and a sloping hood on insider of room to help with capture....

I dont know if it will work or not..... With the poor results with use of the galvanized tub in other threads. I'm having to rethink some things and doing additional research.... So don't make any "moves" yet on how to do it yet, because of my comments..

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2007-06-27 at 10:48am.
Old 2007-06-28, 4:09am

Default Position of Exhaust Fan

Thanks Dale.
Unfortunately, I bought a traditional kitchen hood with fan with two speeds, thinking it would do. I thought I had read on a thread on another forum quite a while back that 350 CFM would work IF placed and vented properly. If placed lower over torch, baffles(?) (an enclosure ) on sides and back wall, short distance of smooth exhaust pipe to where it vents outside, etc. I believe that I read that some have purchased same and then removed the fan and installed one with a higher CFM, but don't know the mechanics of how that's done. Any other suggestions would be appreciated.
I've read about the washtub set-ups, and I wonder if one was to be cut in half and then mounted flush to the wall with enclosure if that would work. I'm not so sure about squirrel cage fans though.
Any other suggestions? Thanks, Audrey