No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Safety

Safety -- Make sure you are safe!

Old 2014-05-06, 8:27pm
needs creative tagline

Default low pressure O2

I have a concentrator setup with a holding tank, all from OGSI. Purchased it several years back from another lampworker - he used it for about 5 years and now I've used it for another 4 or so years. The output of the holding tank has a regulator on it, runs from 0-25psi. The tank also has a gauge on it to show internal psi for the tank, which never goes above 15psi or so (because that's all the concentrator puts out).

Tonight for the first time, upon close inspection, it appears to me that the regulator on the holding tank output is actually a compressed air regulator, not an O2 regulator. How "bad" is this? Yes, I realize if it was ever used with a compressed air setup, it may have gotten oil in it and oil+O2=very bad things. However, I'm thinking they probably bought the thing brand new, never used it with compressed air, and only used it on this O2 tank. At the fairly low pressures we are looking at here, is this a big risk? If so, and one must use an O2 regulator, where does one find a low pressure O2 regulator? Because all the O2 regulators seem to be for 4000psi or so like used on a K-tank, and that's way overkill, not to mention is impossible to adjust with any precision so that 5psi and 15psi outputs are noticeably different...

I do not want to blow myself up. However, I also do not want to spend hundreds of $ over-engineering something that is not necessary and interferes with being able to achieve good control over how my torches are running.

Thanks in advance for the advice,
Laura

Facebook -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...
Old 2014-05-07, 6:50am
Gentleman of Leisure

It makes no difference whether its a "compressed air" or "oxygen " regulator, pressure is pressure.... As for oil issue most quality regulators are not generally made with any parts that are oiled and usually assembly process are clean oil free processes (chinese products might be excluded)...

Since its been assembled and use for nine years without a problem why suddenly is it a concern..... As for pressure and accuracy... The input value on regulator is probably not important as long as input pressure is less than manufacturers maximum safety limits... If output pressure is in range where you want it and output is stable, there is nothing to worry about....

If you are losing sleep over this, don't....

Dale

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2014-05-07, 5:19pm
needs creative tagline

Thanks Dale, that's what I was hoping you'd say.

As for why now and not 9 years ago - its just that I never realized it was THERE until now. I hoped that the fact it had been in use for that long without a problem was a good sign, but I also didn't want to be the person that says "well, I smoked a cigarette every time I fill up my car with gas for 9 years and nothing has gone wrong so far"...

Will not lose any sleep over it

Laura

Facebook -

Lynx with OGSI-15 and big holding tank, Redmax on tanked, and National 3b that swings both ways...