Lampwork Etc.

Send a PM to CorriDawn!

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Boro Room

Boro Room -- For Boro-related tips, techniques, and questions.

Old 2008-06-07, 8:41pm
Spoiled

The price of the glass itself is cheap but the shipping seems really high.

An amazing Cuda with 2 M15's & propane, a Lynx, and a Tondodama torch.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2008-06-08, 3:19pm
Booyarashaka

I forget the company that subs out all the Disney Glass blowers but I was just there and met Mark in the main park ... he was using this glass. He said it was really cheap and Disney buys a lot of it for their artists. Looks like someone's caught on and started a great market

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2008-06-08, 10:35pm

Aimee,
When I purchased mine I asked for a combined invoice with better shipping rates.
I purchased 7 pounds and the shipping was like $12.00 I think.

Old 2008-06-09, 8:38am

the glass is available at lampworking-tools.com
ro

Gtt Mirage torch with tanked oxygen.
Old 2008-06-10, 5:45am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
Nagi,

A couple years ago you gifted me with a buuuunnnnnccccchhhh of boro and there was some ivory in it....I am uterly and completely in love with it and cannot find it again....do you remember where it came from?
Jana are you sure it wasn't a caramel or butterscotch?

Heidi

~~
~~
Old 2008-06-10, 6:34am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by jana View Post
Nagi,

A couple years ago you gifted me with a buuuunnnnnccccchhhh of boro and there was some ivory in it....I am uterly and completely in love with it and cannot find it again....do you remember where it came from?
Hi Jana!
Great to "see" ya! Sorry I missed your post the first time--thanks Heidi for quoting it

The Ivory that I sent is most probably Colormax Ivory. It doesn't bubble and is so smooth. The rods appear snap cut(sharp ends) instead of machine cut. I think Winship Designs still has a bunch--it was pretty cheap--$20 per pound.
http://www.winshipdesigns.com/home/ws3/smartlist/173/0
I'm glad you like it! The white is nice too. I don't know if they still have it, but the Lavender is awesome--it's more opaque and is a wonderful white in deep encasements.

nagi

Old 2008-06-10, 8:11am
yukue fumei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro View Post
i just heard from the seller, Zack. the color is chinese glass. available at http://www.lampworking-tools.com
ro
wow--disappointing. they shouldn't label it Italian glass
thanks for the investigating Ro!!!

nagi

Old 2008-06-11, 7:14pm

I made a bunch of beads today with all of these colors. I`ll post pics tommorow evening.

STAY TUNED!

Old 2008-06-11, 10:05pm
yukue fumei

Your thoughts?
Or do we have to wait?
all this suspense in the boro room is killing me!

nagi

Old 2008-06-12, 5:52pm

As Promised!

All of these were made with this mercadante glass.
All of them except #1 and #6 were were made with silver strike 5 small frit.

1 - Trans green/rod pickup w/NS-09 yellow
2 - Trans green/rod pickup w/SS5
3 - Trans green/rod pickup w/SS5
4 - Brilliant blue/rod pickup w/SS5
5 - dark cobalt/rod pickup w/SS5
6 - Light trans purple over bibidibobibidiblue
7 - Trans yellow/rod pickup w/SS5
8 - Trans yellow/rod pickup w/SS5
9 - Black/rolled in SS5
10 - Trans orange/rod pickup w/SS5
11 - Trans orange/rod pickup w/SS5

These were all encased with schott artistic except #6
My thoughts?
This is nice glass. It melts smooth, it doesnt bubble, it keeps its color fairly well, you cannot beat the price! the only issue I noticed was that the yellow turns a little darker than the rod after annealing.
Attached Images

Old 2008-06-12, 6:25pm
yukue fumei

thanks for the report Rob!
Beautiful beads!
The colors are pretty--too bad the sellers were shady in the auction description. Now I don't trust them and will most likely not buy from them again.(This is just my opinion for me)

If they just came out and said it was Chinese to begin with, I may not have bought the glass, but I may still have bought other things from their store.

Thanks again to everyone for the lowdown--y'all are the best!!!

nagi

Old 2008-06-12, 10:02pm

Very cool Rob !! Thank you for posting pics. I really like #3. Those greens are very nice and the interaction between the brillant blue and the ss5 rocks .That yellow looks very orange/amber to me is that about right?

I have to agree with you Nagi that "Italian Clear" is a very misleading.
We made an offer of $66 dollars for the 12 lbs lot and he accepted it and even shipped same day so that kinda makes up for the chinese bit. But that should made clear up front.

Old 2008-06-13, 1:08am

well if its chinese color, winship has great prices on the chinese color and their shipping isn't too terrible either. at least its not if you order a small enough qty to get it cut in half.

Old 2008-06-13, 7:52am
yukue fumei

OMG--I just clicked on your kittie and chick photos--sooo cute!!!

nagi

Old 2008-06-14, 6:55pm
Hummel factory reject

Did someone say kittens!!!! Some asshat dropped off a pregnant mama at our farm. Here are my new studio buddies waiting for adoption. Sorry to hijack the thread.... Rob how is your bead crochet coming? Back to your regularly scheduled programming....

Last edited by kiko; 2008-10-09 at 10:58am.
Old 2008-06-14, 8:31pm
yukue fumei

HEEEELP! They are too cute!!!
If I lived closer I would totally adopt one! They are soooooo precious!
Thanks for the photo!!

nagi

Old 2008-06-15, 6:48am
Hummel factory reject

I don't think a bubble mailer would work.

Old 2008-06-15, 8:49am
yukue fumei

LOL!

nagi

Old 2008-06-15, 12:11pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiko View Post
Did someone say kittens!!!! Some asshat dropped off a pregnant mama at our farm. Here are my new studio buddies waiting for adoption. Sorry to hijack the thread.... Rob how is your bead crochet coming? Back to your regularly scheduled programming....
Those are some cuties. I really like that one in the back with the big eyes in the second picture. Unfortunately, you are a bit to far away from Austin.

The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing. ---- Albert Einstein

Old 2008-06-15, 12:38pm

well maybe not. When Angelique comes up to get her kitten from me she might be willing to take a second back to Texas with her. can always ask her

Rob.

Old 2008-06-16, 2:14am
Hummel factory reject

He is cute Eric! There are an abundance of kittens here in the northeast this time of year. Especially where I live in the country. If we didn't intervene we would be inundated. The older cats we feed and spay/neuter. They remain barn cats.

Old 2008-06-17, 10:02am
I'm too sexy for my shirt

The little gray one is a cutie. I wish you lived closer. I just went an got a kitten from the pound. One of our older kitties disappeared about 2 months ago. DH got the kitten for Father's Day....hehehehe Can't refuse that....lol

#K58
Old 2008-06-17, 7:47pm
Hummel factory reject

Shelter kittens need homes too! Glad you made a home for one Jerri .
The little grey with the blue eyes is my favorite too. He is very charming and is the most friendly. We just attended a friends 40th b-day party. I thought maybe 4 kittens would be a nice gift?

Old 2008-07-31, 7:25pm
Carol Bouler Owens

Default Thanks for putting the pictures out there!!

Did you buy your glass from the "lampworking-tools" guy on Ebay? I bought some on a buy it now yesterday and I'm still waiting for a total shipping price from them. I'm glad to hear your thoughts on it. I'm just starting to use boro and figured while I'm learning to work with it, cheap is better!
================================================== ==

All of these were made with this mercadante glass.
All of them except #1 and #6 were were made with silver strike 5 small frit.

1 - Trans green/rod pickup w/NS-09 yellow
2 - Trans green/rod pickup w/SS5
3 - Trans green/rod pickup w/SS5
4 - Brilliant blue/rod pickup w/SS5
5 - dark cobalt/rod pickup w/SS5
6 - Light trans purple over bibidibobibidiblue
7 - Trans yellow/rod pickup w/SS5
8 - Trans yellow/rod pickup w/SS5
9 - Black/rolled in SS5
10 - Trans orange/rod pickup w/SS5
11 - Trans orange/rod pickup w/SS5

These were all encased with schott artistic except #6
My thoughts?
This is nice glass. It melts smooth, it doesnt bubble, it keeps its color fairly well, you cannot beat the price! the only issue I noticed was that the yellow turns a little darker than the rod after annealing.[/quote]
Old 2008-07-31, 8:15pm
Booyarashaka

After talking to some friends I must admit I feel way different about all this "cheap" glass. It does too much to our market and makes it even harder for the people that started all this great glass in the first place.

To make a long story short when we went to Disney a couple months ago I met a glass blower in The main park ... nice nice guy .. talked and watched for at least an hr ... come to find out that every bit of glass he was using was this Chinese supplied glass ... they buy so much of it that their price is crazy low ... like 1.23 a pound low because of just how much they bought ... anyhoot , having a studio I was really excited about stocking these very basic colors just to have a cheaper glass .... blah! Sux to think what it's doing to NorthStar, GA, Momkas so on and so on ... sad as hell really. I'll pass ... if I want cheap I'll go and get some cases of clear, sandblast and oil paint em for color till then I'll support our vendors here in the USofA ...

"Temet Nosce"

Old 2010-05-10, 8:05am
DRN

I have been using Mercadante glass for approx 6 years. I have found it to hold it's color, rarely boil, rarely streak, coe is accurate, and it is a joy to work with. The bonus is the price. Why pay $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ when one can pay pennies on the $ for glass that actually works correctly. I have yet to have a bunch that says it is color xyz that upon annealing or torching ends up being a mix of blue, green, white, etc...When I use color I want the color it says to end up being the color that is completed and annealed. Works for me.........Oh, btw, I have purchased from Lampworking-Tools in the past. Everything from boro glasses to tools and including their Mercadante glass. Maybe it is just the fact that I live in the east but I have yet to have a problem with the shipping costs. In fact I find the shipping cost from them to be much less than going with the west coast suppliers. Go figure.......
Old 2010-05-10, 10:07am
I'm a lilac!

Why did you bump a two-year-old thread just to talk up a product and vendor, for your first post?

Old 2010-05-10, 10:22am
Harold Williams Cooney

^^ got to love a good question.

American Trade Bead Food Program; Necklace auctions
, entertainment that improves Colorado.
Old 2010-05-10, 10:24am
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Why did you bump a two-year-old thread just to talk up a product and vendor, for your first post?

good catch.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.