LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2016-02-20, 9:39am

Default Average work time on Floral pendant?

Been working on perfecting floral pendants for craft shows etc. New to the art (and love it!). Working on a minor torch and two 5 psi /5lpm concentrators. Most are made on 12mm clear rod with compressed colors of course.
Now that I am getting the technique figured out I would like to start cutting down on time to produce. What would help the most since I cannot afford a larger torch at this time. Figure a more powerful concentrator would help the minor work better and hotter. At present it takes about an hour to produce the item. With proper equipment (concentrator and torch) is it possible to get production time down to half hour? items being made right now are single color flowers with a few leaves in background. These IMO would sell in the $20-30 range. Working with boro glass.
Thanks for any help and responses

Daryl

Last edited by DRoche; 2016-02-20 at 11:26am. Reason: added information
Old 2016-02-20, 4:27pm

Hello Daryl,
Do you have a picture of the pendants you could show us?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Magma Beads .
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2016-02-20, 7:31pm

Hope I did it right! Took the pic with my phone and had to resize it several times . Will add a few more when I get the time
Old 2016-02-20, 7:38pm

here's another one
Old 2016-02-21, 1:50pm

They look great !
I'm probably not the best person to give you any advice on how to make them quicker as i'm not an implosion guy, I've done some before but on a tiny scale.

I'm sure you would be able to make them every half an hour, I also think that 3 per hour is very reasonable.

When I first started my beads took a while to make especially the complicated beads but now because i'm used to it even the most complicated beads i make only take 20minutes at most.

Magma Beads .

Old 2016-02-21, 2:01pm
Phill

I don't work boro at all but I wondered if you are garage warming you clear in groups of four or five.

I am ass-u-ming that getting the heat into the depth of the glass will be taking up the most time so setting up a series of pre-production steps could shave some of your time in the flame.

Maybe one of those stands that I see the Italian Masters using that positions the tips of the working rods in the back of the flame to keep them near working temperatures.
Old 2016-02-21, 8:23pm

Thanks for the replies. I have found that downsizing to 10mm rod has helped for now. THe current setup doesn't allow me to run both the concentrators and kiln at the same time. Yeah , gotta get that second circuit ran! Making the marias up ahead of time and garaging them souonds like a plan for the future to speed things up a little.