Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Glacial Art Glass

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2008-06-03, 3:01pm

Default glass wet saw blade

Does anyone know were I can find a glass cutting blade for my wet saw. I need one for a project and I am hoping someone has used them and can tell me were to buy them and what kind they liked the best
Thanks
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-06-03, 3:18pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Does anyone know were I can find a glass cutting blade for my wet saw. I need one for a project and I am hoping someone has used them and can tell me were to buy them and what kind they liked the best
Thanks
Bob Proulx
Is yours a tile saw, band saw, ring saw, wire saw....?

If it's a tile saw, I suggest the best of all sources is Covington.
http://www.covington-engineering.com/

Otherwise, you'll have to buy a blade specific to the make of saw you have.

DeBrady Glassworks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- - Glass Campus
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-06-03, 4:11pm

Hi Denis:
It's for a tile saw. Thanks for the help.
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-06-03, 4:19pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
Hi Denis:
It's for a tile saw. Thanks for the help.
Bob Proulx
You can't go wrong with Covington. Great products - outstanding service. Of all the companies whose products I sell, none comes close to the standard of service Covington routinely supplies.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-06-03, 8:13pm

Try http://www.hisglassworks.com/
His products are excellent, and are made for working with glass. He's a glassworker as well.

Mimi
Old 2008-06-03, 9:17pm
KILN BUILDIN FOOL

the blade on your tile saw will cut glass,it will be a little rough but it will work.

Mike

When you tell lie's about someone, well you get what you get.
Old 2008-06-04, 10:04am

And you can get a diamond one at any local tile store.
Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-04, 10:23am
Trying to Hope!

I use my diamond blade all the time on my cheap tile saw from harbor freight. I am just cutting glass rods however

Etsy Here
Ebay Here

NEW Ebay Items all the time here

I buy Gold PM me for details
NEW Handmade jewelry on Etsy
Old 2008-06-04, 11:43am

Default thanks everyone

I appreciate the help. I will be installing a back splash for a customer using very expensive glass tile so I need a better blade then the one on my wet saw.
Thanks
Bob proulx
Old 2008-06-04, 9:03pm
Burning through glass

Bob, the more expensive diamond blades really do make a difference....better than the "if it cuts tile, it'll cut your glass" blade. The quality of the diamond grit on the blade, and the blade itself really matters. If you're not going to be cutting A LOT of glass, then you might get by with a $15 blade from Home Depot, but it will get dull fairly fast (which translates into chipping on the piece), only experience will tell you how fast. You will probably need to do a little research on your local supplier's blades...I have bought lo/mid-range diamond blades from big box DIY stores (blades maybe cost $45)...they did the job just fine. You want to look for blades that have a good, long lasting saturated diamond cutting surface. Better quality blades will cut through glass (ie, slab, I was cutting 1"x1"+ thick pieces of fused murrini ) like butter, and not bog down....you really want to also make sure your blade is well stabilized.. and not vibrating around on your piece. Your blade will also cut out about 1/8" in your piece...FYI so account for that in your measurements. (that was a helpful tip for me back then!) Only other advice...make sure you do not force the glass through the cutting process. The glass should just "glide" through the blade, and will cut really smoothly with little pressure. You want to have good water flow as well, don't let the glass go "dry", keep a constant supply of water on it.

I also recommend HIS glassworks. They have wonderful customer service, and if you have questions...just give 'em a buzz. http://www.hisglassworks.com/cart/ca...duct_list&c=56

They bent over backwards when I was inquiring about my "Li'l Blue Mutha"!
(that's a wet grinder...I didn't make up the name!!)

best of luck!!
Renee Wiggins

Changeable Jewelry, Murrini & MORE!

Custom Supplies:

& Fine Art Beads & Jewelry:

&

Last edited by JetAge Studio; 2008-06-04 at 9:31pm.
Old 2008-06-05, 4:58pm
Curmudgeon

Quote:
Bob, the more expensive diamond blades really do make a difference....better than the "if it cuts tile, it'll cut your glass" blade. The quality of the diamond grit on the blade, and the blade itself really matters.
Aggressively agreed.

It has been my experience with all diamond cutting or grinding gear that the one that costs the most to buy performs so well and lasts so long it ends up being the least expensive.

DeBrady Glassworks
- - Glass Campus
- Victorian Art Glass
- Master Artisan
Old 2008-06-05, 5:49pm
product of the universe

I got my blade for a tile saw from wale.

And the men who hold high places,Must be the ones to start,To mold a new reality,Closer to the heart--Rush

Currently using fire.
Old 2008-06-08, 5:21am

Default thanks jetage and Denis

I went up to covington as you recommended Denis. They have a new blade coming out mid June called the gold series for $22.50, that is the one I probably will try.
Thanks again every one.
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-06-08, 5:35am

I don't know what type of tile saw you have but I love this blade for cutting up fused bars. I loose very little cutting up the piece with it.

http://www.defusco.com/p1797/7-inch-...duct_info.html

Viking knit End Caps for sale:
[/url]https://heatherferman.etsy.com[/url]
Old 2008-06-09, 7:40am

Default thanks heather

My saw is an MK, Ive always liked there products. I will check out your recommendation.
Thanks
Bob Proulx
Old 2008-06-09, 8:56am

Last summer I cut up 2500 lbs of pretty thick Lauscha on one of those little MK saws. It worked really well. I am thinking this year though that maybe I should get one with a bigger blade! Paula

Still North America's Largest Lauscha Dealer!
Now reopened in South Florida!!
Like US on Facebook !
Old 2008-06-11, 1:11pm

Default thanks paula

2500 lbs wow if it worked so well for that long I would not change a thing.
Bob Proulx