Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-16, 6:30pm
Lover of all things color

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
I have to say I have some of the 'curdled' ivory that was from the vault at Frantz (or whatever - you know, when you had to use artist's points to get the special glass) and it's never seemed that different from the regular stuff to me. I always just chalked it up to user error. These rods are bumpy as heck on the surface, not smooth like regular dark ivory.

Maybe I need to pull it back out and play with it and some silver glass.
Me too Astrid, that's where I got mine and not only did it not curdle but it was really shocky.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

GTT Lynx-M10 Oxy-con

Old 2012-02-16, 9:46pm
I'm a lilac!

Quote:
Originally Posted by simvet02 View Post
Me too Astrid, that's where I got mine and not only did it not curdle but it was really shocky.
Try it with just the tiniest threads of Aurae or Triton. It's wonderful!

Old 2012-02-17, 5:35am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalera View Post
Dark ivory always curdled, except that for a while there was a batch that was hardly curdly at all! And then a batch that curdled great came in and everyone got all excited, and it was called "curdled ivory" to distinguish it from the ivory that didn't curdle that well. At least, that's how I remember it.
EXACTLY.
Old 2012-02-17, 8:37am

Well then, it seems hardly worth worrying about. More curdles and the price sky rockets? That's just silly.

Old 2012-02-17, 8:48am
Jeff

I guess I'll have to play with it some more, but just as often as not, my dk. ivory just turns white. I'd love to get those curdle-y lines more often.

Old 2012-02-18, 6:24am
Glass-aholic

Ha I thought it was called curdled ivory cuz the rods were bumpy. I didn't know it was supposed to do anything else! I do prefer working with my bumpy rods though. I just like the color better. I get less striations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
I have to say I have some of the 'curdled' ivory that was from the vault at Frantz (or whatever - you know, when you had to use artist's points to get the special glass) and it's never seemed that different from the regular stuff to me. I always just chalked it up to user error. These rods are bumpy as heck on the surface, not smooth like regular dark ivory.

Maybe I need to pull it back out and play with it and some silver glass.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2012-02-19, 3:31pm

I sure miss the Vetro light ivory, that didn't curdle at all. It kept distinct edges when using reduction frits. Whenever I have used Moretti ivory it gets kind of dark, burned and yucky. Also, I have found that same batch dk ivory changes how much it curdles depending on the flame heat and concentration. Work it, cool it and re-enter far out in the flame, till the surface begins to move and more curdling seems to occur, at least at my torch...

One more thing. Fume with silver, cool and then re-introduce and let the surface heat enough to move, and Bob's your uncle, great curdling effect! I use this technique to get a real aged parchment feel.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2012-02-19, 8:31pm

Thanks for the tips Melodie. I'll have to try that. I don't get why they stopped making the light ivory. I stocked up because I use it for faces and it does not react to itself when adding to it. Dark ivory leaves rings and marks.

Old 2012-02-19, 8:52pm
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Well then, it seems hardly worth worrying about. More curdles and the price sky rockets? That's just silly.
As I recall, we were lead to believe that it was unusually curdley at the time.
Old 2012-02-19, 11:48pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
As I recall, we were lead to believe that it was unusually curdley at the time.
There is an actual difference, but it's either worth it to you
or not. Perception, supply and demand.
There was only so much of that super curdly batch made.
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil." Thomas Mann
Old 2012-02-20, 12:35am
Entropy increasing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhana View Post
There is an actual difference, but it's either worth it to you
or not. Perception, supply and demand.
There was only so much of that super curdly batch made.
I bought about 20 lbs from 2 different sources. Most of it was the really curdlie stuff, but about 5 lbs seems to have been a mix. Some of the rods are smooth and shiny and they just don't give the same curdle that the rough ones do. And I don't see that they are the same, no matter how much they are heated, they are different.

And I likes me the curdle.
Old 2012-02-20, 1:45am
I'm a lilac!

It is different from the non-curdly dark ivory, and the difference can be extreme under certain circumstances. There are styles that I make that only really work with a dark ivory that will curdle. It's just that in my experience so far, there are more batches of dark ivory that curdles than dark ivory that doesn't.

Old 2012-02-20, 8:38am
SCIENCE Teacher!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkroomdweller6 View Post
I guess I'll have to play with it some more, but just as often as not, my dk. ivory just turns white. I'd love to get those curdle-y lines more often.
How to get the curdled effect rather than plain off-white:
mush it around before putting on mandrel, create your bead, touch to metal or graphite to cool it off some. Just keep working it, but don;t get it white-hot or completely molten again or the color goes away.

To get color back:
After you have formed the bead let it drop below the flame and lose the glow, then "bathe" bead in the tips of the flame. That will restore the wonderful warm color.

I am guessing you work close to the candles and a bit hot. You'll need to work further out and cooler.
Old 2012-02-20, 6:43pm

Check out the sale rack and Mike Frantz's recent post. He thinks he just got quite a bit of curdled ivory in and I think he said it's on sale.
Old 2012-02-20, 11:20pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevan View Post
I bought about 20 lbs from 2 different sources. Most of it was the really curdlie stuff, but about 5 lbs seems to have been a mix. Some of the rods are smooth and shiny and they just don't give the same curdle that the rough ones do. And I don't see that they are the same, no matter how much they are heated, they are different.

And I likes me the curdle.
Me too! Hey, we have something in common, LOL!
We bought about the same amount too, only I got
it from one source.
I figure I'll have enough for a lifetime
"In the whole world I have no twin, and my face is not me. I am someone under the skin others see only in glances."
"I can live with not being popular,but not with compromising my beliefs in order to fit in." jh
Old 2012-02-21, 1:15pm
They see me rollin'...

Gosh, I thought I had a lot of it! I don't have anywhere near 20 lbs. though.

In my experience it IS different, and the sparkly version is the best. I paid the regular dark ivory price for it, though, when I bought it from Frantz. It may have been marked up recently, but originally it was the same price as regular dark ivory.

-Patti
Old 2012-02-21, 3:34pm
I'm a lilac!

Mike posted that the new batch of dark ivory is curdled, and it's just regular dark ivory price.

Old 2012-02-21, 3:44pm
><>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magicfire View Post
Gosh, I thought I had a lot of it! I don't have anywhere near 20 lbs. though.

In my experience it IS different, and the sparkly version is the best. I paid the regular dark ivory price for it, though, when I bought it from Frantz. It may have been marked up recently, but originally it was the same price as regular dark ivory.
It was on sale when I bought it too.
I agree that it is better and...
Let me clarify.
If I am willing to shell out 500 bucks or more for a glass order to get a
bigger percentage discount, then I make the choice to hold that much inventory.
(There is risk there, to be sure, if you need the $ but can't sell it)
A person buying a few rods or pounds that doesn't spend the same
amount won't get the biggest discounts, but the sales are great even for those
buyers.
Everything has a market and it's changeable.
I bought my glass knowing that I would either use it, or be able to at
least get what I paid for it, if I had to sell it.

Last edited by jhana; 2012-02-21 at 4:40pm.
Old 2012-02-21, 3:47pm
Naysayer

He must not have read this thread
Old 2012-04-15, 4:59pm

I just bought some curdled ivory, but it didnt curdle. Mines broken.