LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-10-20, 2:08pm

Default What's your favorite soft glass color?

Mine is Effetre Aquarium

I'm a sucker for blues and greens, so this has both!
Old 2014-10-20, 2:09pm

coral.
"Dissents speak to a future age. It's not simply to say, 'My colleagues are wrong and I would do it this way.' But the greatest dissents do become court opinions and gradually over time their views become the dominant view. So that's the dissenter's hope: that they are writing not for today but for tomorrow." -R.B. Ginsburg.
Old 2014-10-20, 2:10pm
Glassss... Wooood... Yum

Lauscha Hawaiian purple
Old 2014-10-20, 2:16pm

I agree - Lauscha Hawaiian purple - I'm a sucker for purple

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-10-20, 3:10pm

Apparently, this has been moved to the Tips, techniques, and Questions room?
I thought this was a simple and relaxed thread over people's favorite glass colors.

I don't mean to offend anyone but, for a site that's supposed to be about glass and beads, there sure are a lot of off-topic rooms on here...
Old 2014-10-20, 3:16pm
Queen of the milo field

Oh, carp! I have to pick one? That's too hard [in a whiny voice ]

Ones I've fallen hard for? That's different:
CiM Stone Ground
Vetrofond Extra Pale ELO
Effetre Rubino

I think I have way too many favorites

dj
Old 2014-10-20, 3:35pm

petroleum green
Old 2014-10-20, 10:39pm
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawkesfyre View Post
Apparently, this has been moved to the Tips, techniques, and Questions room?
I thought this was a simple and relaxed thread over people's favorite glass colors.

I don't mean to offend anyone but, for a site that's supposed to be about glass and beads, there sure are a lot of off-topic rooms on here...
I guess it would make more sense to you if you knew the history of LE and Wetcanvas. Most people that joined in the first year came from Wetcanvas because it was too rigid and all about glass.

Artists are many faceted peeps and hence all of the other daily life happenings forums and sub forums. Also glass lends itself very well to many other art forms. :smile LE has evolved over the years into a community of arts and crafts of many different kinds.:
Old 2014-10-21, 3:19am

My favorite color to wear is purple

I haven't found a soft glass that satisfies a true bright grape purple for me But I might have to try the lauscha one

So my favorite color is CIM marine blue.

My favorite combination is teal and purple.
Old 2014-10-21, 7:01am
Corgi Cult Member

Different day, different color, today dark periwinkle. I never look at a bundle without thinking, "Oooh, that's pretty". In general I like opals more than transparents.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2014-10-21, 7:14am
I like to melt things

It is too hard to choose only one, so I have chosen one per manufacurer

Effetre Dark Ivory
CiM Mint Lozenge
Reichenbach Dark Multicolor
Kugler Silver Petrol
Vetrofond Streaky Sapphire
TAG Dalai Lotus
Double Helix Clio
Precision Abe's Ivy
Lauscha Steel Blue

-
-
Old 2014-10-21, 7:24am

This may be true but what drew most people here in the first place was glass. When glass becomes a side conversation, glass artists will find somewhere else to go since lets face it, facebook, twitter, snapchat, etc lets you share anything - even your bathroom habits but honestly, I for one don't care to share that info HERE - to me, it's about glass.

When glass quits being a highlight, I personally am moving on from LE since I came here in the first place to pick up glass info, tips and tricks, not to read you had a bad day, or have cramps, or have medical issues - we all do - harsh I know but its reality. Most of the posts in bathroom are people whining about how much life sucks. I know some feel this is the place for peer support and its a great avenue for that but lately that's the main focus of LE. I know quite a few people on here and I know most have people to share things with in their lives so why this site has become Dear Abby is really beyond me. Its way more negativity than I personally care to have on a daily basis and is one of the primary reasons why so many have moved over to other sites including Facebook.

It's one thing to have one artist complain her husband is a jerk but when you have 50 doing it and then 50 more whining about every ache and pain and then 25 complaining on how they got screwed over on some sale its too much to sort through.

I personally got sick of seeing all the complaints about anything AND everything not glass related so I created a desktop shortcut favorite as follows:

"http://lampworketc.com/forums/search.php?do=getnew&exclude=36,42,60,49,64" ( the double quotes are there only so I could post it here on LE and not have it interpreted as a url - you don't need them in your shortcut)

( this is my personal list of exclusions so if there are forums on the list that you actually want to include, just remove the number from the list of excluded).

this lets you exclude all the forum topics that, for me , aren't glass appropriate, including the entire bathroom forum. I don't have to view them, ( which keeps me calm LMAO) and it prevents me from posting comments based on my reactions to the post so its better for everyone LOL.

If you right click on any forum topic header in LE and select properties, it will tell you what the forum number is, you can then exclude it.

Now - Back on topic - my favorite Lauscha color would have to be Blutonium as you can go from blue to terra cotta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
I guess it would make more sense to you if you knew the history of LE and Wetcanvas. Most people that joined in the first year came from Wetcanvas because it was too rigid and all about glass.

Artists are many faceted peeps and hence all of the other daily life happenings forums and sub forums. Also glass lends itself very well to many other art forms. :smile LE has evolved over the years into a community of arts and crafts of many different kinds.:

Last edited by nevadaglass; 2014-10-21 at 8:02am.
Old 2014-10-21, 7:50am
I fart diamonds

While it's true that glass was/is the main draw, this forum was started because of the off-topic stuff that people weren't free to pursue on Wetcanvas. (Chinese Auction)

I have too many favorite colors to list them all. My current #1 love is Reichenbach Lt Beige (R161), but that's subject to change at any time.

Old 2014-10-21, 7:58am
dances with ideas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwhim View Post
Different day, different color...
Me too, but that aquarium bead is really pretty and subtle! I think it's my favorite today.

Old 2014-10-21, 9:32am

Thanks for the posts and the feedback! Being pretty new to LE, I wasn't aware of the background. I'll need to check out Wetcanvas to see what they have to offer.

My glass peers have all pointed me here for help/advice, etc where I find it harder to find the threads that are actually about glass, rather than life. That's why I thought it was appropriate to start this thread in the Family Room...it was a neutral, light, conversation piece. But then it was moved here...because it was a question???
It strikes me as pretty significant where you can't post about glass in a glass forum.
Old 2014-10-21, 10:38am
I fart diamonds

Quote:
Thanks for the posts and the feedback! Being pretty new to LE, I wasn't aware of the background. I'll need to check out Wetcanvas to see what they have to offer.

My glass peers have all pointed me here for help/advice, etc where I find it harder to find the threads that are actually about glass, rather than life. That's why I thought it was appropriate to start this thread in the Family Room...it was a neutral, light, conversation piece. But then it was moved here...because it was a question???
It strikes me as pretty significant where you can't post about glass in a glass forum.
It's not that hard if you look. The forum names and descriptions are all pretty clear and the knowledge related stuff is all under the Library heading. Good luck finding anything at WetCanvas. That place is an even bigger mess.

Old 2014-10-21, 11:11am
Queen of the milo field

Quote:

That's why the Search function is helpful. If the regular doesn't help you, try the Advanced.

This is a community. There are other things in life aside from glass. Sometimes.

dj
Old 2014-10-21, 11:17am
Administrator

If you want just glass info, the library area is where all the glass info is:
http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=9

If things pertaining to glass, colors, stuff like that are posted in this area, then it is easier to find later and allows people who only want glass info to find it without searching the whole forum.

Old 2014-10-21, 11:31am

Thanks for the advice! I wasn't intending to offend anyone. This just wasn't what I was expecting.
Old 2014-10-21, 9:59pm

So new, loving ivory (light and dark), copper green, silver pink, intense black, light lavender blue (I think that's it), and 1/2 time EDP (other 1/2 I'm irritable). Is that too many?
Old 2014-10-21, 11:24pm
Glassy Guy n Doll

Default Favorite today...

Rainbow red surprise-morretti-104 Coe... Just picked up a rod can't wait to play...

Pam

Last edited by Pnjelly712; 2014-10-22 at 12:01am.
Old 2014-10-23, 4:28am
Shelarious

That's awesome Pam!

I love ASK Silver Cinnamon. The CiM opals are delicious too. Mint lozenge, kryptonite, etc.

I wish CiM still made Cornflower. Gorgeous color.

Old 2014-10-23, 7:04am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorraine Chandler View Post
Most people that joined in the first year came from Wetcanvas because it was too rigid and all about glass.
I though most people moved here because Wetcanvas became all about just getting nasty, there was very little civility towards the end. and that's what prompted the woodshed and the bathroom on here.

My favorite glass has always been EDP.

-D

Donna Felkner -
-
-
-
Old 2014-10-23, 9:12am
Salt Box Beads

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgbeads View Post
I though most people moved here because Wetcanvas became all about just getting nasty, there was very little civility towards the end. and that's what prompted the woodshed and the bathroom on here.

My favorite glass has always been EDP.

-D
I suppose everyone that was in the mass exodus from WC remembers it a little differently. What I remember was heavily moderated and censored. Swearing certainly wasn't allowed either. So many things weren't allowed and it is still that way today. There was/is much more freedom here to say what was/is on your mind.
Old 2014-10-23, 1:29pm
Sucks at being nice

Quote:
I don't think you have offended anyone by asking. I came here to learn about glass but unexpectedly became real friends with so many wonderful people on this board. When you become friends it means more than just sharing one small aspect of life. LE has given us the opportunity to share more of ourselves and our lives in non-glassy areas if we want to. For those that don't care for idle chat and come strictly for glass info they can come straight to the library area and bypass all of the rest. Lampwork Etc. is what you choose to make of it.

My favorite soft glass color is the old hand pulled Pale Emerald. CIM Appletini is a close 2nd.

Old 2014-10-23, 1:58pm
Queen of the milo field

Nope. Don't think you aggravated anyone. Heck, it didn't even get to a 'hair flip and the slam of a door' phase

Are you a new newbie or intermediate? If so, visit the Gallery & check out the Newbie/Intermediate thread. We are a chatty bunch, but a whole lot of info gets passed around & lots of questions answered. It's a bit quiet right now, but that usually picks up when weather gets cooler & more folks can work.

dj
Old 2014-10-23, 2:42pm

I kinda consider myself on the edge of beginner and intermediate. I've been at this for, let's see...a year and a half? Wow, that's longer than I thought...

But, I only get to bead once a week, provided "stuff" doesn't happen.

Ironically, I just ordered Pale Emerald...and I think my last order had Appletini in it!

Edit: Nope...It was Dirty Martini and Pale Green Apple...though I like Appletini, and I could use the drink version about now!

Appletini reminds me of Aloe Juice or Absinthe, just a bit lighter.

Last edited by Fawkesfyre; 2014-10-23 at 2:50pm.
Old 2014-10-23, 2:59pm
Sucks at being nice

Dirty Martini is an awesome base for frits. You will love it.

Old 2014-10-23, 4:26pm
Administrator

My favorite soft glass is original red roof tile

Old 2014-10-23, 4:46pm

I always use Effetre light turquoise, every time I torch, so that must be my favorite.