No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-10-10, 6:41pm
Bead Crone

Default Silver Glass Dots - HALP!!

I'm watching the Dots thread in the gallery, and drooling over all the lovely work there. I love making dot beads myself, but I get completely bollixed up when I try putting Triton or Aurae accent dots on beads. I work in an oxygenating flame when placing them, but when I go to reduce them, no matter how heavily or lightly I reduce, I get fuming of all the surrounding glass. I've tried high up in the flame, down near the yellow candles, no dice. It turns all the colors I worked so hard to get stained looking and muddy!

What's the best way to reduce and get nice shiny silver/gold colored dots (or raised stringer) without fuming everything around it?

Thanks in advance!
Old 2010-10-10, 7:19pm
Tweedle Dumb

Pam have you tried not reducing them in a reducing flame? (oxymoron?) Try just wafting it through a neutral flame when you're done applying them. Those colors reduce in a neutral flame easily. I put Terra 2, Ekho, Aurae, Clio, Kalypso, & Triton all in that category. They reduce easily in neutral. Maybe that would help? Thinking out loud, I typically encase a reduction haze, so I've not really paid much attention to it effecting the surrounding area.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click For My Latest Murrini!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-10-10, 9:14pm
Bead Crone

Hrmm. Nope, haven't tried that, but it makes sense. I've seen the reduction haze start to crop up if I forget to down up the oxy before I start working, so maybe the glass is just much more sensitive to reduction than I was thinking? I'll try it next time I get to the torch, thanks JL!
Old 2010-10-11, 8:54pm
Tweedle Dumb

Did it work?

<Click For My Latest Murrini!

<Click! For Pandora Style Beads!
Old 2010-10-13, 10:14am
Bead Crone

Haven't been to a torch since your response, ma'am! But I definitely intend to try it. Wednesday is one of the late nights at the studio, so I'm heading there right after I'm done being a wage slave for the day!