Lampwork Etc.

AKDesign

LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Beads of Courage > Beads of Courage

Beads of Courage -- Discussion for all things Beads of Courage; the only not-for-profit, arts-in-medicine program putting to use the talents of glass beadmakers to uplift children dealing with life threatening illnesses, their families and the people who care for them. Families, clinicians and artists alike are welcome to join in! (Thank you to Lampwork Etc. for supporting Beads of Courage and helping to foster communication!) PHOTOS OF INDIVIDUALS OR CHILDREN ONLY ALLOWED WITH THEIR SPECIFIC CONSENT.

Old 2011-05-16, 2:18pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

Default launch pictures

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was taken right as we arrived inside Kennedy Space Center. My bead was "space walk" and an imitation if this suit, so I HAD to get this picture. This is about 1 am in the morning

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

This was taken at dawn. I am frozen. There is also a space blanket under the other covers. During the night the whole space center was open. I went and watched the 3D Imax movie on the hubble telescope, and wandered around inside a retired shuttle, and looked at the rocket graveyard and other exhibits.

Part of the viewing area next to the big screen TV, where retired austronauts would come and speek periodically and explain the nasa speak and what was happening throughout the night and morning. the ones in the blue jump suits are astronauts

the big screen TV. we got to see the astronauts get suited up, ride to the shuttle, get loaded and strapped in, sitting on the pad. KSC is about 10 miles from hte launch pad, closest VIP viewing is 3 1/2 miles

the rocket graveyard view from where we watched the launch, it was gorgeous at night all lit up, but my pics didnt turn out

all I saw of the launch. see the glow at the bottom of the tree? There was a low cloud deck, and it was in the clouds and out of site quickly. This is all I got to see. But I could hear the roar and feel the shockwave. I was waiting for the shuttle to clear that tree and when it didnt my heart stopped, I thought something horrible had happened. Our astronaut announcer assured us it was ok and just above the clouds already. WHEW!!! On a clear day you can see it launch for about 2 minutes.

This was one of the original 35 astronauts chosen for the shuttle program when it began, he was one of our announcers. I happened to see him on our way out of the park and he was sweet to stop and let us take this picture.

You can be sure I was yelling my fool head off at launch and carrying all your love and good wishes.

Terri has added more pictures further down in the thread

"It's not what you have, it's who you are."

Last edited by patienthand; 2011-05-18 at 6:25am.
Old 2011-05-16, 2:29pm
Happy Beadmaker!

A
great pics, Candice! It was wayyyy too cloudy over here in Clearwater for us to see anything! Thanks for posting pics!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Old 2011-05-16, 2:33pm
im Loving it!

Wow really interesting read, thank you. Glad you had a great time - looks brilliant

Old 2011-05-16, 2:57pm
Run Free Sweet Boy

I was awake over 31 hours before I got back home. I have had a short nap since then, but still feel like i have sand in my eyes. They shut down the access roads into kennedy space center several hours before a launch. they also have to bus folks to some of the VIP viewing areas, and the causeway. They advise you to be there 7-8 hours before launch. Leaving the area after a launch can take hours and hours. we expected a 4 hour trip back to orlando, which would normally be an hour. But we got smart, knew some back ways, and went for some great seafood on the water and let the worst clear out before we got back on the roads

I did take a pocket full of beads with me to the launch and gave some out to kids and folks around me, and some nasa employees, it was tons of fun.

Old 2011-05-16, 4:23pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Thank you for sharing! What neat pics and descriptions!
Old 2011-05-17, 7:39am

Thanks for sharing those pictures Candice. It sounds like you had a wonderful time!
Old 2011-05-17, 7:59am
Hobby Junkie

Thank you for sharing the pics Candice!!! It looks like you had a great time.

Old 2011-05-17, 6:01pm

Thanks so much for sharing. YAY, someone from our little group was there!

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-05-17, 8:25pm

That's really cool Candice! I'm glad you got to be there!

Old 2011-05-18, 12:43am

The rocket Graveyard at night

View from the SVB

View of the launchpad

Another view of the launchpad

The wind picked up a bit

Beads of Courage Headed into the space.

Old 2011-05-18, 4:06am
Run Free Sweet Boy

yay Terri, thanks for sharing your pics too...for other folks.. Terri had VIP tickets for this launch and was at the banana river site, the closest spot to view it from at 3 1/2 miles. I was about 10 miles away

Old 2011-05-18, 6:12am

What a thrilling, once-in-a-lifetime experience. I'm so happy you were there to personally share in the excitement of it all. And thanks for sharing your photos with the rest of us.

Old 2011-05-18, 4:33pm

Very cool, thanks for the photos Terri.

Become a fan on Facebook:
Old 2011-05-18, 6:13pm

Thanks for the photos. I loved seeing them. Jeri

Still selling beadstands but no more Puffy Mandrels.
Old 2011-05-19, 7:21am
Shelarious

Love the photos!!! Thanks for posting them Candice!

Old 2011-05-22, 9:25pm
Obsessed Blogger

Wonderful! Goosebumps again!

::
Old 2011-05-24, 6:18am
Still Missing You

Candice, What are the odds you would have your beads onboard AND get to be there to see the shuttle off into space? How fantastic for you and the BOC program! WTG

Thanks to Terri and you for sharing great pictures of this very special event.

Heroes don't wear capes, they they wear dog tags.
Lord, keep Your arm around my shoulder and Your hand over my mouth.
The things you take for granted...someone else is praying for.