Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2010-12-03, 6:10pm

Default Hot Head on propane

How many people run hot heads? Have you ever used propane instead of map gas?
If you use a HH or started with a HH what are the drawbacks.. . If you could start over again would you start with a HH or knowing what you know now would you start with a surface mix torch.

Hope my ?s arn't to confusing, Just getting into this and trying to make educated purchases.
Brian
Old 2010-12-03, 6:33pm
Help i am on fire

i use a HH, it's great and cheap for the newbie. drawbacks it is slower to melt glass. but you can do just about everything an oxy/pro torch can do just at a slower pace. i am finally moving up to a minor at 1st of year. i use oxy instead of map do to cost. welcome to LE.
Old 2010-12-03, 6:34pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Hi Brian.
I'm on a hot head with bulk propane. (dh's bbq tank)
I started with map and hated all those bottles piling up. I have a cricket.......bought a while back now. Haven't hooked it up. I have all the stuff but the oxycon I traded for doesn't seem to work right......so I'm still on my hot head. My dh has been building me a studio and I will have 2 stations.....one for my hot head and one for my cricket!! I love my hot head!! I love how inexpensive it was to get into it and I love working on it. I got the cricket cause I just felt........well like I should be moving up LOL
I'm in no rush tho.
sue

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2010-12-03, 6:55pm
It's about having fun!

I work on a HH with the 1lb cylinders, it works just fine! I've heard that some glass can discolor because of the propane but I've only had a few times where I thought that may of happened. I think it's a plus that the glass melts a bit slower, gives me more time to get it right!
Old 2010-12-03, 6:56pm

Thanks for the replys. BM did you mean propane instead of oxy?
Does propane burn as hot as map? So can I assume that both [ sue and BM] sorry to shorten you name do not feel handicapped working on a hh
Old 2010-12-03, 8:18pm
It's about having fun!

I've seen statistics that show propane does burn as hot as Mapp even though there are posts that say different.
Old 2010-12-03, 8:56pm
Mr Brutus RIP

Brian,
The hot head takes longer but DARN, look at De's aka theglasszone 's murrini and know that there is no handicap!!! LOL She does fantastic work! I have worked on my hot head for almost 5 years and wouldn't dream working as big as she works but thats just me. As far as discoloration......I've been working with encasing alot lately and I've had no discoloraton in my clears and nothing on my whites or anything.
I really do love my hot head!!
Sue

Old 2010-12-03, 9:35pm
Gentleman of Leisure

I have gone back and forth between propane and MAPP (many times) and can not tell any differences ......

Something you may want to read.....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...c.php?f=12&t=7

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal
Old 2010-12-04, 4:59am

I use a hot head and bulk propane - brbq tank. I have used it for three years. I haev never used anything but propane. I am happy with the propane. My hint would be keep your tank, I have heard that the issue with dirty propane is the tank rather than the fuel, and that you should refill rather than exchange your tank. From my personal experience I think that is true. Check out the thread "yes you CAN do it on a hot head." Some amazing artist work with a hot head.

SRA #C88

Old 2010-12-04, 8:44am
Gentleman of Leisure

About dirty propane tanks that are not always dirty....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum...php?f=12&t=219

Dale

Vendor-Artist-Studio-Teacher Registry

San Francisco - A Few Toys Short of a Happy Meal

Last edited by Dale M.; 2010-12-04 at 5:20pm.
Old 2010-12-04, 3:45pm
Glass-aholic

I was on a HH for 10 years and only recently switched to a minor. One big benefit, the noise is basically gone! I loved my HH and feel I had no limitations on it at all. I was using a bulk tank of propylene. I was using MAPP and the guys at the filling station/welding shop suggested it. it worked great, but has a very different sweet spot. I also had less problems wit gunk in my lines when i used the propylene as opposed to the MAPP. Any brazen fuel or any other fuel for that matter, will have a different sweet spot, and that makes more of a noticeable difference than the heat difference. I would %100 go bulk though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-06, 7:35pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaci View Post
I was on a HH for 10 years and only recently switched to a minor. One big benefit, the noise is basically gone! I loved my HH and feel I had no limitations on it at all. I was using a bulk tank of propylene. I was using MAPP and the guys at the filling station/welding shop suggested it. it worked great, but has a very different sweet spot. I also had less problems wit gunk in my lines when i used the propylene as opposed to the MAPP. Any brazen fuel or any other fuel for that matter, will have a different sweet spot, and that makes more of a noticeable difference than the heat difference. I would %100 go bulk though!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Glad I found this thread as I was coming here to ask for input on the HH also... being undecided and hesitant to spend a lot on a larger system until I have a better feeling for how this "hobby" is going to go, but I have only worked on a minor and have been told that I will be disappointed with the HH having already started on a hotter torch.... I'm also curious about the "noise" Jaci refered to. Is the hothead noisy??
Old 2010-12-06, 7:40pm
It's about having fun!

It is noisy, but you get used to it .......
Old 2010-12-06, 8:25pm
Glass-aholic

It was actually really hard for me to figure out how to think on a minor, cuz A) things melted faster and B) my mind could not proces anything creative without the noise! I still love my HH..... Miss her some days more than others...

WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2010-12-06, 8:33pm
It's about having fun!

her? lol! cute!
Old 2010-12-07, 7:39am
Glass-aholic

...(hot flashes...mood swings... big bush of a flame..... temperamental if you got too close to her for a long period of time, sometimes you had to cover her air holes just to get what you want)...

Old 2010-12-09, 5:55am
Ellen Altamore

Location: southwest MI; north of Kalamazoo, south of Grand Rapids

I started on a HH almost 13 yrs ago and I'm still on it - using a 27# tank of propylene. The noise helps me concentrate and I'm perfectly happy with the slower melt factor.

ellenalive.blogspot.com
Old 2010-12-09, 6:06am
It's about having fun!

Jaci that's hilarious!!!! ;c)