Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Jelveh Designs - Glass Beads Torched One-by-One

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Closed Thread

Old 2010-12-10, 6:24am

Kristina those are awesome! Are you perhaps getting too close to the flame before covering the brass in clear? Once its encased it doesn't usually change color at all. The only thing I can thing of is to hold the bead farther under the flame when you are encasing.

I have to give one more shout out to Natasha, on my last order, apparently there was a small mistake made (which honestly, I didn't even notice) and within two days, the correct item had been shipped out to me. I would never even have noticed, honestly, and was a bit surprised to see another package from devardi in my mail box lol. The customer service is beyond excellent there and they have a customer for life in me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2010-12-10, 6:34am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I know what you mean Sonja... so much of this glass is just heavenly to work with, and the price is a give away... but the service and kindness there are out of this world. It has made me want to know and use this glass as my primary glass now.

Since you praised my work today I will also post my first off-mandrel frog. He's just checking out the world, not sure if it's safe to hop around or not! I made him on one of Devardi's cabachon mandrels with the round flat top. I may try to do more.

Old 2010-12-10, 6:38am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by baby firefly View Post
These are some necklaces that are going under the Christmas trees of various friends. It's nice to see people posting their work again, great job everyone.
The first necklace is garnets, and chech fire polished beads.

I call this my little bit of everything necklace and I've worn it for a while now.
Holly, these are so beautiful and nicely designed. I keep thinking of them! I just had to point them out. You should enter them in a magazine or contest! Lovely work!
Old 2010-12-10, 6:52am
StudioMarcy

Kristina, that is a cute frog. I hope you do more in that style. I like those cabachon mandrels too. Still playing with them and trying to figure out how I want to use them.

I have a very different style frog that I made from Devardi. This one I made off of the tip of a 1/16th mandrel as a sample for a custom order.

And I just got a new order of glass in to play with. Just popped it on top of my kiln to warm up and hope it all behaves for me.

Happy friday to all,
Marcy
Attached Images

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-10, 7:04am
Hot Glass Neophyte

THAT is a darling Frog! And your colors and dots are delightful! Amazing shape and realism... mine are wacky and strung together, but you really accomplished the true shape here! More, more!

I know what you mean on the cabachon, I was almost lost trying to work over the rim since I am used to the round bead for a perch! I may try a large mushroom and a frog on top... the Devardi gray is so nice to work with I was thinking about it last night.

Post that Pirate Snowman here. I know everyone would just love it!
Old 2010-12-10, 3:44pm
Help i am on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ewschott View Post
It's official, my brain has left on a sled for the north pole. I swear I added a post here the other day, but I don't see it - pardon if you do!

I can't tell you how embarrassing it is to post with you incredible artist. Holly the way you put your beads together is pure genius! I was going to ask about this, I have always done pretty eclectic design with my clay beads, but i don't think the glass will work the same, so how do you plan your designs? Is it okay to put odd/same color group beads together, if you use smaller like spacers? I know anything is okay, but somethings must work better!

So what do I do about a sister who is allergic to all metals except gold? lucky for her aye

These are my latest beads with the Devardi, which I love now that my rods are smaller. The ones that are odd shaped have been smushed because of falling off the mandrel, but I like them. (I bought some of the release from Devardi-"easy bead off", so it works much better than the pink stuff that came with my Fireworks kit.

The individual is one of my favorite colors Natasha sent me... I think it's cranberry, but I could be wrong. It has a bit of coral inside too.

No laughing now!

go girl they look awesome!!!
Old 2010-12-11, 7:37am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hi Everyone, I have a fat Teddy Bear this morning, with a butterfly on his tummy. The edges of the butterfly murrini show even though I ran clear around it and smoothed it up to his neck Does anyone know how to make them go away?

P.S. I just found out that you need to put a layer of clear under the murrini, and then on top of it to make the edges go away. Thanks to the nice person who sent me the answer!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2010-12-16 at 9:34am.
Old 2010-12-23, 6:30am
Hot Glass Neophyte

I got some play time last night and made a Bubble Gum Frog... wacky must be in my genes! The frog is on the D65-Transparent Dark Amethyst wrapped in Goldstone stringer and then encased, though you can't tell from the terrible lighting! And I overheated the Amethyst as I encased, so some of it bled into the encasing.

I also played with encasing the SOP and transparent purples and got a neat soft swirly look, I may play with this more. It's a soft effect.

Sorry for the color cast, I just shot by house light, my light box isn't set up at the moment.

.•:*¨*:•.
Old 2010-12-23, 6:42am

Love the bubble gum frog! He is the cutest thing!
Old 2010-12-23, 10:07am
StudioMarcy

sweet Kristina

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-24, 8:58am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Have you all seen the FlameTree Christmas Competition? Our own Marcy is in it with a wonderful collection of work as an entry. GO VOTE FOR HER or for your choice! You'll enjoy seeing what was entered:

https://flametreeglass.com/index.php...dcbcjsfuaiqdi7
Old 2010-12-28, 7:53pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Hey everyone, I just wanted to post that MARCY WON a GTT Cricket Torch for her Flametree Christmas Competition entry! I have taken the liberty of posting her entry below.

Congrats Marcy!

Old 2010-12-28, 8:17pm
If the Wooden Shoes Fit??

Congrats Marcy! Hand stands and cart wheels for you on your win... Those are just too cute...

Thank you Kristina for letting us all know...

Hope everyone had a Joyous Christmas... Wishing one and all a very Happy and Healthy New Year..

Big Hugs, We all need them...

Last edited by starlightforge; 2010-12-28 at 8:18pm. Reason: spelling
Old 2010-12-29, 5:02am
StudioMarcy

Thank you so much Kristina and Houkje. It was so nice of folks to vote for my entry. There were so many cool ones entered- I'm always amazed at the variety and beautiful work that everyone does.

So what has everyone been doing with their devardi glass recently? I was just looking at some of my rods this morning and thinking it's time to warm them up and use some.

Show me what you've been doing please!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2010-12-29, 3:31pm
Glass Savant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
Show me what you've been doing please!
I have posted these elsewhere but here is some of what I have been doing with Devardi glass recently...

(magnets)

Old 2010-12-29, 4:32pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Jay, that fruit is wonderful! I haven't seen it before. I have seen some of your other treasures here.

I have been working on a pdf, so I haven't been able to post bead work, but hopefully tomorrow!
Old 2010-12-30, 4:30pm

Default Testing Devardi

I see a thread for testing Devardi..

I tested some new DEVARDI from mixed bunches of rods. I like them!!!

A couple of beads with transparent ornela and green Devardi did not survive, incompitable. They feel a bit lightweiht and have a different sound from orher glass, but seem very OK to work with.

BLOG
Nope, not updated...
Old 2010-12-30, 5:43pm
StudioMarcy

Oh Jay and Lise both of you are doing great. thanks for posting these.

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-01-01, 5:57am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Pendants or Necklaces, Lentils & A Christmas Order

Hi Everyone, I hope you had a nice New Year's Eve - the future has now officially arrived!

I have some things to show. I spent time on the torch for the last few days. If any color interests anyone please let me know. Everything is made with Devardi.

These are 3 Floral Pendants or Necklaces...

And I have been working on Lentils... for some reason the Lipstick and the Dk. Transparent Rose didn't like each other on the rose... I'll have to play with that...

And last but not least, if you remember the little Netsuke Computer Mouse I made, someone ordered a set in these colors for Christmas...

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-01-01 at 6:03am.
Old 2011-01-01, 6:56am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollsmed View Post
I see a thread for testing Devardi..

I tested some new DEVARDI from mixed bunches of rods. I like them!!!

A couple of beads with transparent ornela and green Devardi did not survive, incompitable. They feel a bit lightweiht and have a different sound from orher glass, but seem very OK to work with.
Lise, beautiful work! Can't wait to see more of what you do!
Old 2011-01-01, 8:41am
StudioMarcy

Those are sweet beads and I love the new colors too. What fun to see them.

What I'd like to know, is what three Devardi colors are you favorites- not only for the shade of the color, but for ease of working in the flame?

If you have a longer list that's great too!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-01-01, 12:04pm
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Devardi Tutorials and Favorite Glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
What I'd like to know, is what three Devardi colors are you favorites- not only for the shade of the color, but for ease of working in the flame? If you have a longer list that's great too!

(Speaking of favorite colors - this was made with some of my most favorite ones - the Frog Green for the log, Army green for the vine twistie and the SOP Lt. Baby Blue & SOP White for the bird, and Dk. Transp. Rose on SOP White for the flowers)

I really like the SOP's a lot at the moment but I am still working at testing many of the colors and types of glass Devardi offers. I will list some of my general favorites below... everyone else chime in and list yours too!

AND since we're talking about working Devardi glass, let me tell you that I offered to do a series of PDF Tutorial's using Devardi glass and a Hothead Torch, and Natasha and Daniel like the first two, so they have been posted on the Devardi site. The two that are up now are 'How To Pull Stringers' and also 'Encasing and Pulling Goldstone Stringers'. Here's the link - they are under the drop-down Tab along the top that says "Tutorials". If they spread wide on your screen just make your screen narrower to return them to a normal page size. You can download them for free.
http://www.devardiglass.com/index.htm

The next one I am working on is making round beads with and without graphite bead rollers. That one should be up sometime next week. I will let everyone know when I get others done by posting it here.

SO, here's a brief list of my favorites that work nicely in the flame...

Semi-Opaque White
D83-Semi-Opaque Moonstone White
D109-Semi-Opaque Lt. Baby Blue
D87-Semi-Opaque Lt. Peach
D129-Semi-Opaque Lt. Pink Plum
D107-Semi-Opaque Lemon Yellow

D165-Opaque High Density Black
D162-Opaque Light Gray
NCN- Opaque Army Green
D-123- Opaque Frog Green
D125-Opaque Dark Marine Green
NCN-Opaque Medium Brown
D-128 Opaque Lt. Lilac
D108-Opaque Lemon Yellow

I like the transparents a lot too, but I don't have them ID'd to list at present... anyone who cares to - please post your favorites and we can add to the list!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-01-04 at 10:54am.
Old 2011-01-05, 8:01am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Default Using Clear Frit Powder Between Layers

Hi Everyone, I wanted to add a note on a neat thing I just experimented with.

As we know, some colors will devit easily in the flame. But I just found that if you roll them in a layer of Clear Frit Powder and gently melt it in you can then work the color hotter in the flame - just don't boil or blister the color under the layer... it still needs to be worked cool.

This is a stacked dot bead I did last night using this method. It should have a lot of useful applications and make it easier to work colors in the flame. The white base dot is SOP Moonstone, because it is soft to work, like SOP White, yet turns opaque when annealed. I added dots and flattened them with a tool, and then rolled in Clear Frit Powder between/after each layer. Then I raked the dot corners to the middle and reheated and used a blunt Clear Stringer to twist with. Fun!

Last edited by Fine Folly Glassworks; 2011-01-05 at 8:09am.
Old 2011-01-05, 8:07am
StudioMarcy

Kristina, thank you for your list of favorites. and your great hint on the clear frit and devit. I have been frustrated with the devit and perhaps this will solve my problem. I was ready to find another use for those colors.

and congrats on your tutorials. I will peek at them next.
Marcy

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-01-05, 8:11am
Hot Glass Neophyte

LOL I know what you mean! But hopefully this will have a lot of benefit... post pics of what you find as you experiment!
Old 2011-01-07, 6:02am

Default Just bought a kit from Devardi

Hello everyone I am very new to all of this and I just bought my first kit and supplies from Devardi. I am so excited to get started (first it has to get here..lol). Does any one here have any advise they can give me since I have never done this before? I have already watched all of the Devardi's you tube videos and I have read the book called The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking. Just wanted to see if I could get some more advise from the people that already use Devardi glass. Thank you all so very much!
Steph
Old 2011-01-07, 7:18am
Hot Glass Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by sapidiv View Post
Hello everyone I am very new to all of this and I just bought my first kit and supplies from Devardi. I am so excited to get started (first it has to get here..lol). Does any one here have any advise they can give me since I have never done this before? I have already watched all of the Devardi's you tube videos and I have read the book called The Complete Book of Glass Beadmaking. Just wanted to see if I could get some more advise from the people that already use Devardi glass. Thank you all so very much!
Steph

Hi Steph, welcome! Others will give their counsel too, but I would encourage you to get a Rod Heater before using the glass, if you haven't already. And across the bar on the top of the Devardi site is a drop-down tab for Tutorials. I would encourage you to print them and learn to make stringers and then practice making spacer beads or round beads.

Next week the Tutorials on making round beads should be there. If you email me I will send them to you directly now so you don't have to wait (and anyone else who wants a copy)

FineFolly@bellsouth.net

Enjoy and ask away as you have questions or problems!
Old 2011-01-07, 7:46am
StudioMarcy

Hi Steph,
Just want to check...never made beads before, or never used Devardi? if it's never made beads before, please be sure to have safety glasses!

Marcy Lamberson
Studio Marcy
Old 2011-01-07, 8:50am

just posted a 30% off Devardi sale for LE Members!

Old 2011-01-08, 12:02am

Thank you ladies. I did go and read all the tutorials on the Devardi website. And I have never made a bead before or used Devardi glass. I was going to get a rod warmer but they don't have any. So I will have to wait or see if I can get one off of ebay. I did get the fit over glasses they had since I have to wear regular glasses to see. I am worried about not having a rod warmer. Is this glass that hard to use with out one? Is bead making really hard to do? I love all the beads and other things that everyone has made and posted on here. There is a lot of talent here, they are all just so wonderful to look at.
Closed Thread

Tags
devardi