LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-03-03, 11:15pm

Question Intense Black (104) - Need advice!

Tried my INTENSE black today.... (pull out hair here)

I am looking for that nice "organic webbing" effect. So, I read somewhere that to acheive that effect, it's best to use skinny skinny skinny stringers and work them hot for more webbing. I started with what I soon discovered was an "over-achieving" amount - but despite paring it down to applying minimal dots -or even with just 1 little skinny stripe applied to the bead - and working in mid or top flame ... the intense black just drowned out the other colors of the bead and the whole bead turned to INTENSE SCHIZNIT! (DK Ivory base then tried on different beads to incorporate stripes of either tomato red, amber, teal, cobalt trans, or rose pink - before adding I.B. stripe - no colors stayed visibile other than bits of DK Ivory and the I.B.) WTF???! Is IB a black hole?????

Any thoughts on what I need to try next would be so totally welcomed... THANKS MUCH!
Old 2012-03-04, 12:19am
Loving learning

Picture?
It does spread a lot. How thick was your stringer?
I haven't used it much myself, but did the last few sessions.
This is one I did yesterday, sorry about the size, I was taking a picture of the silver that came out.

You can see the area lower left, that was heavier stringer. The center area was either none, moved from the other area, or more like hair thin, I'm not sure.

While I was working the bead I could see the webbing happening. I kept going because I wanted a lot, but maybe stop before it goes so far?
Old 2012-03-04, 12:23am

Yep, has to hair thin to work well.
Old 2012-03-04, 11:04am

These are the only 2 beads of the bunch I even decided to put in the kiln out of curiosity. ( I tossed the bases of turquoise, transparent amber and red with applied black stringer - all came out like these two.)

Small bead = base of rose quartz, applied thin intense black stringer to the bead directly in 2 stripes - 1 each side of the bead.

Big bead = ivory base, applied multi-color twistie (twistie base of ivory, striped with rose quartz pink, turquoise transpartent and turqoise solid blue, transparent amber and solid periwinkle, with just one stripe of intense black - pulled the twistie and applied that to the bead. Applied by starting at one end and rotating to other end. After application, raked the bead in opposite directions.

As I re-think this - maybe I just really cooked the hot snot out of this black unintentionally and it spread much faster than I thought I saw when working it? Maybe I didn't recognize the black creeping very well since this is my first attempts at using it....?
Old 2012-03-04, 11:05am

Oh and thank you guys for responding - I appreciate it!!!!
Old 2012-03-04, 11:15am

You can also paint a thin stripe of IB down the side of a rod of ivory and pull that into a stringer or twisty. Use that instead of the plain IB until you get the hang of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Available as an audiobook

Susan Hasler--torch-wielding novelist
Old 2012-03-04, 12:42pm

The turquoise is having a reaction with the dark ivory, that's why it all looks black. The turquoise has copper and the ivory has.....selenium (I think) and they will get a dark line where they touch. Too much touching and all you see are dark lines. It's a great combo but not so much all swirled together.

ETA- Ivories pretty much don't like pink either. I don't think I've ever done the rose quartz but rubino on top of dark ivory is nasty looking.

Old 2012-03-04, 3:01pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glowbead View Post
You can also paint a thin stripe of IB down the side of a rod of ivory and pull that into a stringer or twisty. Use that instead of the plain IB until you get the hang of it.
yep, do this, just the thinnest swipe of IB stringer on a gather of ivory, pull and swist then use that

also, i pull hair fine IB by putting a dab about the size of 1/2 a pea on the tip of a mandrel, heat and touch to another mandrel and pull fast, you get stringer fine enough to tie in a knot - heat your bead and with it and the stringer out of the flame apply the stringer, its so thin it just melts to a hot bead, then heat the snot out of the bead and watch it web

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-03-04, 3:28pm
Loving learning

I just made a pair (well they may be a pair, we'll see!) of pink with intense black for possibly using for earrings, and I put touches of very very fine (hair or next thing to it) on my base, not even all the way around. It will keep spreading as long as you heat it as far as I can tell. A tiny amount goes a loooooong way.
Old 2012-03-04, 4:59pm

Yeah, the only way to stop the webbing is to take it out of the fire. The longer you heat, the more it spreads.

leebeads.etsy.com, leebeads.artfire.com
Old 2012-03-04, 8:14pm

THANK YOU ALL SO MUCH! Really, really really appreciate the feedback and I'm looking forward to trying your suggestions!
Old 2012-03-04, 10:30pm
Unmedicated since '62

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eileen View Post
Picture?
It does spread a lot. How thick was your stringer?
I haven't used it much myself, but did the last few sessions.
This is one I did yesterday, sorry about the size, I was taking a picture of the silver that came out.

You can see the area lower left, that was heavier stringer. The center area was either none, moved from the other area, or more like hair thin, I'm not sure.

While I was working the bead I could see the webbing happening. I kept going because I wanted a lot, but maybe stop before it goes so far?
BRAINS!

- my 17yo sons first novel

- download, get organised, enjoy
Old 2012-03-06, 2:19pm
Loving learning

LOL!
Old 2012-03-06, 5:12pm
color bomb

I can't get it to do it at all. Wanna trade? lol
Old 2012-03-06, 8:41pm

@ Cinder - hell honey, at this point I'm about ready to give it away!!!! LOL - I've never made such fugly beads in my life... (even when i was first starting- now that's fugly!)
Old 2012-03-07, 6:18am

Don't give up. You'll have the "AHA! moment" soon. Try making your base bead in dark ivory or opal yellow. Then pull a hair thin stringer like was suggested. Warm the surface of the base bead and melt the stringer in. Let the surface of the bead cool a bit. Then spot heat the areas where the IB stringer is. I like to bring those spots closer to the face of my torch in a really hot oxygen-rich flame and heat the snot out of it. Take the bead out of the flame and let it cool if it starts to get away from you. Repeat this until you like the way it looks.

I wouldn't add any other colors until you get a feel for what the IB does on its own.
Old 2012-03-07, 1:02pm
visit my etsy!

this is crocus, with a very thin stinger of intense black. I just heated and kept it at a good heat until it began to split, then took it out of the heat and rolled it to keep it's shape.

Kirsty