Old 2013-06-14, 11:15am

Question kiln wash

I have a new kiln and wondering how many coats of kiln wash to apply
thanks
maria
Old 2013-06-14, 11:26am
Growing Edge Glass

Hi Maria...congrats on the new kiln!

If the kiln is made with firebrick I coat the floor of the kiln only with a kiln wash for protection....say in the event something rolled off a shelf onto the floor of the kiln while firing. I usually do about 4 coats of wash on the floor.

I then coat my kiln shelves with 2-4 coats. It all depends on how thick your wash is really. What I do is coat the shelves, allowing them to dry in between. Once I have 3 coats on and they have dried, i will brush my hand over the kiln shelf and if i have a light powder on my hands then I don't do a fourth coat.

Everyone probably does it their own way, that's just how I've always treated my kilns and shelves.

Hope that helps and I'm sure others will chime in.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2013-06-14, 2:25pm
Alaska Boro

Another option is to use a ceramic fiber blanket on the bottom Using one on this end and it works well.
Old 2013-06-15, 3:43am

I agree with kiln wash on the floor, I do it a couple of times a year. As for shelves I put three coats on going in different direction, I don't let them dry between coats. Let them sit overnight.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2013-06-15, 5:31am
SCIENCE Teacher!

I have an Arrow Springs AF99. I don't use any kiln wash.
Old 2013-06-15, 2:31pm
Slogan Challenged...

Like the others, I put a couple of coats on the floor. I also did two coats for the sides. My kiln wash was a little on the thick side for the second coat, the first one was thinner and could soak into the brick a little for a nice seal. I fire with a ceramic blanket covering the kiln floor (batch anneal) so I don't use shelves but wanted to protect the sides of the kiln in case of an accident or overfiring.

Facebook:

Etsy:

Old 2013-06-15, 3:19pm

Not really a good idea to kiln wash the sides. If you got any wash on the elements, they could be toast.

If you're concerned about batch annealing in a side element kiln, use an unfired ceramic bowl (or make one from potter's clay to fit the interior dimensions) filled with your beads.

It's also better to use a shelf on some small risers - the heat is more even that way - or you could simply elevate the bowl off the floor.

Barbara
Old 2013-06-15, 4:46pm

Kristen, pm me the inside dimensions of your kiln. I have an extra "box" I can send you if it will fit - it's fugly, but it works great for batch annealing.

Barbara
Old 2013-06-27, 8:30am
Slogan Challenged...

I just got it last night, Barbara. That was very nice of you! My DH was impressed with my LE friends. Now, maybe I can stop itching myself to death using the ceramic blanket, for the kiln at least.

Facebook:

Etsy: