Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

The Flow

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Studio

Studio -- Show us your studio setup

Old 2013-08-28, 2:41pm

Default My official studio build thread

So I have been scouring the forums and reading some books I got from the local library and now that I think I know enough. I am officially setting up an area to work with. I have allocated the space in the garage and set up a table that I have to fire proof. Here comes a working list of everything I intend to purchase in the coming months.

GTT bobcat
harris propane regulator, hose, connections and arrestor
propane tank
paragon firefly kiln
M20 10lpm 20 psi oxycon from unlimited oxygen
Lampworkers Combo / Sodium Flare Glasses With Shade #3 Wel
Graphite marver pad
infinte rim multi-hole marble mold
I'm still taking suggestions on marble making tools
Some assorted 90 coe rods of my choosing from bullseye glass co. to experiment with.
my ventilation system
fire extinguisher
lastly some actual good lampworking books like contemporarylampworking volumes 1&2 and the torchwood marble book by drew fritz.
This should put me roughly in the $1500 range which is exactly where I want to be. feel free to chime in. I'll take some pictures as I progress.
Old 2013-08-28, 3:24pm
Nikki Haverstock

I will comment on only one thing. Make sure to do research on all the places you plan to buy from and make sure their shipping policies are really clear. Often things are back ordered for months or even years.

Have you taken a class or have any experience torching?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 2013-08-28, 4:48pm

Got a good list there! Nikki is correct. Do research on where you buy your supplies and equipment.
Old 2013-08-28, 9:42pm
kinda torching....

Check out Devardi for cheap tools! Great way to save a lot of cash!

Oh the the best place to get a used oxycon machine is usually on Craigslist! Plus no shipping costs.

As far as the M20 from unlimited oxygen, prices may look good but there has been many customer complaints as of lately and it appears people aren't getting the products that had already paid for... Which is quite a shame because they were on my list too for future shopping. I got my 10lpm machine off Craigslist with 165hours, year old machine, for $150.

I would look into customer feedback before laying down $$$. You've probably been waiting long enough already and won't want anymore delays.
Good luck and welcome to your new addiction! Lol

Jeremy

Oh and hot glass looks just like cold glass, it may not be red hot, but its more then hot enough for severe burns. I got to remind myself tonight after grabbing a hot point off my table...
Old 2013-08-29, 11:15am

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhamilton117 View Post

Oh the the best place to get a used oxycon machine is usually on Craigslist! Plus no shipping costs.

As far as the M20 from unlimited oxygen, prices may look good but there has been many customer complaints as of lately and it appears people aren't getting the products that had already paid for... Which is quite a shame because they were on my list too for future shopping. I got my 10lpm machine off Craigslist with 165hours, year old machine, for $150.

I would look into customer feedback before laying down $$$. You've probably been waiting long enough already and won't want anymore delays.

Jeremy

Oh and hot glass looks just like cold glass, it may not be red hot, but its more then hot enough for severe burns. I got to remind myself tonight after grabbing a hot point off my table...
Does any old oxygen generator work? I mean if I go on craigslist and find someone selling medical equipment and I find a 10lpm oxygen generator that would be the same as the ones sold for lampworking?
Old 2013-08-29, 11:18am

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polgarra View Post
I will comment on only one thing. Make sure to do research on all the places you plan to buy from and make sure their shipping policies are really clear. Often things are back ordered for months or even years.

Have you taken a class or have any experience torching?
good advice, I'm still shopping around for all the places to get these items so we'll see and as for classes and experience I have none. I initially planned to take a class but for the cost of the class I could get a nice portion of my setup and I already know I'm going to like lampworking so i'm just going for it. It was like that for my saltwater fish tank and I was obsessed with my saltwater fish and exotic coral species for two years. Only reason I got out was because taking care of a demanding fish tank while going to school wasn't going to work so now i'm taking up a new hobby
Old 2013-08-29, 11:20am

Quote:

Jeremy

thanks for the information, I know if I were to lay down $500 for my oxygen concentrator only to find out I wasn't going to get it, I would be mad lol
Old 2013-08-29, 11:23am
kinda torching....

For the most part yes, although I have heard the UO somehow raises the psi on there machines. I'm using my oxycon to power my 8m as is. Oh and oxycons don't like back pressure. So you will want to keep your oxy valve fully open at most all times, and you only adjust your flame with the fuel knob for reduced oxidizing and neutral. I even light my torch with the oxy valve cracked open, because the back pressure can shut off or lead to machine failure.
Old 2013-08-29, 2:57pm

Quote:
For the most part yes, although I have heard the UO somehow raises the psi on there machines. I'm using my oxycon to power my 8m as is. Oh and oxycons don't like back pressure. So you will want to keep your oxy valve fully open at most all times, and you only adjust your flame with the fuel knob for reduced oxidizing and neutral. I even light my torch with the oxy valve cracked open, because the back pressure can shut off or lead to machine failure.
well I have heard some not so good things about UO from several people today so I'm going to pass on ordering from there i'm currently looking on craigslist or i'm open to other vendors.
Old 2013-08-29, 3:39pm

Marble mold:

http://frittsartglass.com/marbles/molds/Multi.html

Worth every penny.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2013-08-29, 6:25pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROC View Post
That was in my list lol
Old 2013-08-31, 12:21pm

So I think the first purchase I'm going to make is the biggest one, the oxycon has been the most difficult decision for me so i'm going to get it out of the way now. think i'll get a 10lpm unit from here http://hobbiesforus.com/Concentrators.html, I wont need it shipped I can go pick it up.
Old 2013-09-01, 6:08am

FWIW, a medical concentrator works just fine. I'm no Tech or anything, but I had a 5lpm that I was given when a friend's mom passed that I used for a year or so. I still have it, but got an M20. I use it when I want a softer flame
Old 2013-09-01, 7:16am
sunscreen me baby

I am going to suggest you get a different book. There is a lot in Contemporary Lampworking that is great. But the 2 volume set is expensive and it may not be what you really want. If you are going to be learning to make beads I would go with "Passing The Flame" first.

~

Old 2013-09-02, 10:46am

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ View Post
I am going to suggest you get a different book. There is a lot in Contemporary Lampworking that is great. But the 2 volume set is expensive and it may not be what you really want. If you are going to be learning to make beads I would go with "Passing The Flame" first.
I don't even want to make beads at all, I want to make marbles. So i'll probably just get the torchwood marble book.
Old 2013-09-02, 10:48am

Quote:
Originally Posted by echeveria View Post
FWIW, a medical concentrator works just fine. I'm no Tech or anything, but I had a 5lpm that I was given when a friend's mom passed that I used for a year or so. I still have it, but got an M20. I use it when I want a softer flame
I'm going as big as i can on the concentrator so that if I ever want to get a larger torch I can keep my current setup. Just leaving room to grow, additionally I don't know a lot about concentrators so getting a used one from someone with no warranty seems risky.