Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2014-02-06, 6:48am
Growing Edge Glass

Question Chilli Pepper kiln, replacing fiber w/brick?

I've been searching LE's archived posts for one where someone mentioned replacing the fiber blanket on the floor of their Chilli Pepper kiln, with kiln brick.

No luck in finding it ... does anyone remember who did this or how?

I would imagine it is relatively simple .. remove the fiber floor and use kiln brick cut thinner. I was curious what thickness was used?

I'm also looking for mandrel rests for the chilli pepper any recommendations or links?

I found a few links for rests, in my searches, but all turned up dead/gone/kaput.

thanks for any input!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-glass cabochons, clay pendants~~~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2014-02-06, 7:21am
I fart diamonds

I've thought about it, but never done it. Mine works fine as is, so until it craps out, 'll leave it alone.

I made my own mandrel rest by cutting a piece of expanded metal to fit. It works awesome!

Old 2014-02-06, 7:23am
I fart diamonds

Lol! Those are old pics. I can't remember the last time I made that many beads. Heck, I can't remember the last time I made beads!

Old 2014-02-06, 2:21pm

Try phoning JenKen directly. They are have always helped me out when I need helping

Old 2014-02-06, 8:07pm

Ok Shawnette how do you keep your kiln so clean? Mine has pieces of bead release through out the floor.

Lanford BeadWorks
Old 2014-02-06, 9:16pm
dances with ideas...

Maybe you could just lay a thin layer of brick over the fiber? What are you trying to achieve?

Old 2014-02-06, 10:05pm
Cheesehead Packer lover

I think brick will be too thick. I just phoned Jen Ken and they sent me more insulation for the back and sides. Call them, they are really helpful.

Cherie
Sisters Beads
If you can't be kind, at least have the decency to be vague
Old 2014-02-06, 10:07pm
Glass-aholic

I just put thin brick right over the fiber. I only did 1/2 because I just needed a flat hard surface, but I centered it thinking that was best, and it does help keep the heat. If I were going to do it all I would just put a few more bricks next to it.

I don't use a rack in the kiln either. I just stack and pile if I'm weary about sticking beads I put them laid out then a few beads later I stack them to make more room.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-07, 9:04am
Growing Edge Glass

Thanks for all the responses and pics!

Shawnette, I love the expanded metal ... that might do it!

I wanted a hard surface on the bottom because I want to keep the kiln floor cleaner. I have bits of bead release and some spent charcoal on the fiber all the time and if I put a bead in too quickly, it sticks to all of that.

I think, more than anything, I want to be able to keep it cleaner and I like the idea of the rack inside to make sure my beads don't stick until the temp comes down. Then I typically restack to the sides. Cleaning the fiber is a pain in the tush, too! I've turned the kiln upside down, used a small vac ... very carefully.

I may do the 1/2 inch kiln brick, as you have Jaci, and a central mandrel rest to first rest beads on.

Thanks again for the responses!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2014-02-07, 9:16am
Glass-aholic

We just take the shop vac to it every now and then... Never to carefully either ! Never had an issue, I use my brick as a warming stone for murnini and stuff more than anything. But I agree, the stone is easier to clean.

hand dyed silk ribbons in many colors!
WASHERS & TOPPERS - layering components for interchangeable glass topper and to use in other jewelry/metalwork.:
Old 2014-02-07, 12:49pm

Hmmmm, wasn't someone talking about a week ago about using dollar store pizza stones as kiln furniture or something.
Would that work for this??
Patrick
Old 2014-02-07, 2:10pm

Yes Patrick that would work, cut to the size needed and lay it over the fiber.
Bob

e-mail:
Old 2014-02-07, 2:21pm
I fart diamonds

If you just want something to use as a flat surface in the kiln, why not just use unglazed ceramic tiles? A couple of 4x4s would fit nicely.

Old 2014-02-08, 7:43am
Growing Edge Glass

Jaci ... same here, a smaller shop vac but if I get too close the fiber gets sucked up.

Patrick ... that would work as well ... thanks Bob, I do have some of those actually.

Shawnette .. smart cookie that you are, that would be perfect, and I have some of those as well.

thanks for the input!

-jewelry~~~
~~~
Old 2014-02-08, 12:33pm

Default Vacuuming

Mikelene, when doing the vacuuming, laying down a piece of the epanded metal first may take care of the fiber moving.
Patrick
Old 2014-02-08, 12:34pm

expanded that is, the same stuff suggested for the mandrel holder
Old 2014-02-08, 2:11pm
Alaska Boro

One could remove the fiber from the floor and replace with IFB (insulated fire brick). These come in both 2.5 and 3 inch thick bricks which can be cut with standard wood working tools. Perhaps cutting each brick so that it is only 1 inch thick could be an option. Temperature range from around 1800 F to 3000 F depending on selection.
Old 2014-02-10, 5:43am
Growing Edge Glass

Great idea Patrick ... thank you!

Alaska ... that was also a thought that I had as any kiln brick on top of the fiber (even only 1/2" thick) limited the amount of room I have when placing the bead/mandrel through the door.

What I ended up doing was to lightly vac the kiln to remove all the "crunchy stuff" from the floor. Lost a bit of it here and there, wish I had thought of that expanded metal, Patrick!!

I cut two 1/4" ceramic tiles so that they would fit right on the fiber blanket. I pressed them down and sank them a bit so that the amount of clearance through bead door was even better than with just the blanket. I turned the ceramic upside down as they had a larger grid on the back which prevented the beads from rolling. Worked perfectly!!

Thanks for all the suggestions!!

-jewelry~~~
~~~