LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Frantz Art Glass & Supply

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tips, Techniques, and Questions

Tips, Techniques, and Questions -- Technical questions or tips

Old 2012-02-12, 11:19am

Default I am confused about "curdled ivory".

My confusion is...I have ivory that I believe to be "curdled". Does ALL ivory curdle to some extent? I just bought more because I didn't want to use the curdled for this particular bead. Turns out this batch is curdling too. I buy from a local supplier and I'm just wondering if they are still pulling out of old stock. So again, does all dark ivory curdle to some extent?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old 2012-02-12, 11:23am
MaximumAwesomeIdeaCount!

Cynthia. I have bought at least 4 different batches of ivory from 4 different suppliers and they all curdle for me. I don't know if it is because I use them with silver glass or i work too hot but dark ivory is a curdle fest for me!

Use LEFRIEND as a 15% off coupon in my Etsy!

Old 2012-02-12, 11:48am

Ohhh...now that is interesting. I don't use it with silver but I do work it very hot. It IS a curdle fest LOL! So why all of the hype about it?

Old 2012-02-12, 12:00pm
maybe tomorrow

I think that most dark ivory will curdle to some degree, especially if worked long and hot. I don't have any of the official curdled ivory, but I believe that batch was just extra curdly.

Old 2012-02-12, 12:02pm
Catnip Pusher

You know, I looked at the pictures of "curdled ivory" and thought "looks like plain old dark ivory to me." It pretty much always does that curdle thing for me to some degree. I, too, am not sure what the hype is about.

Aimee
Old 2012-02-12, 12:20pm

I bought some when the curdled ivory rage was on and it's the only dark ivory I have that doesn't curdle well. lol The dark ivory I have from years ago does it better.

Old 2012-02-12, 12:35pm

All of mine curdles, all purchased from 2007 through 2010. I got a bunch of the official curdling version and it doesn't seem much different from the rest.
Old 2012-02-12, 12:59pm

I am relieved to hear this. This means it's one less color I have to lament over using. I am getting the same results with all that I have, and the time span of which it was purchased is probably over 10 years. Even my 2mm stringer is curdling. I so rarely use it that I don't know much about it.

Old 2012-02-12, 1:46pm
Storm Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolychromeBeads View Post
You know, I looked at the pictures of "curdled ivory" and thought "looks like plain old dark ivory to me." It pretty much always does that curdle thing for me to some degree. I, too, am not sure what the hype is about.

Aimee
What she said.

Old 2012-02-12, 2:12pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

I don't think it looks all that different either, but you can tell the "Curdled" batch from the regular - it has little shiny bits in it that you can only see when you're melting it. Someone here named them "flavor crystals".

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-02-12, 2:36pm

Yes, I do have some like that. Someone else pointed out that another tell tail sign is that the cut ends have white spots. All of my ends have white spots but not all of it has the sparkle. Do you think the "flavor crystal" stuff looks all that different?

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
I don't think it looks all that different either, but you can tell the "Curdled" batch from the regular - it has little shiny bits in it that you can only see when you're melting it. Someone here named them "flavor crystals".

Old 2012-02-12, 3:19pm
Catnip Pusher

For me, the real issue is whether or not it looks any different in the finished piece. Do the "shiny bits" or "flavor crystals" show up when the bead is cooled? If not, I personally don't see why it should be a big deal.

Aimee
Old 2012-02-12, 4:25pm
Ass-kicking Cephalopod

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
Yes, I do have some like that. Someone else pointed out that another tell tail sign is that the cut ends have white spots. All of my ends have white spots but not all of it has the sparkle. Do you think the "flavor crystal" stuff looks all that different?
No - maybe a tad steakier than regular dark ivory, but really close. I did some comparison test beads and they are really similar.

DOG is my co-pilot
Cricket w/two 5 lpm oxycons - and sometimes a Minor.
Old 2012-02-13, 4:47pm
Type ZZZ personality

Mike is a master at marketing to make us think it's something special and that we have to have it!

Lynx with 2 5-lpm oxycons
Old 2012-02-13, 6:09pm
Lampworkaholic!

Darn, I think I waited a nanosecond too long to sell my Curdled. And I can see a definite difference, but that may be because I'm not a huge Ivory user. So when I melted some that I just happened to get during that time frame, I thought, wow, this isn't my father's Dark Ivory (or something like that).

"And all will turn to silver glass, a light on the water, grey ships pass into the west." Annie Lennox
Old 2012-02-13, 6:50pm
I like to melt things

I don't believe in Curdled Ivory either. I have had one batch of Dark Ivory that just sort of looked like dirty plastic when you used it as silvered ivory stringer, but that's the only Dark Ivory I've ever had that seemed 'different'. It didn't have white dots on the ends or sparkles, and looked like a darker version of Light Ivory.

On a positive note, that batch of Dark Ivory that couldn't do SiS was wonderful as a base colour and got beautiful caramel colour and curdling striations through it when superheated or used NEXT to silver that I can't get from regular Dark Ivory.

Maybe that stuff was the "curdled" Ivory, or maybe the people responsible for the Curdled Ivory craze were coming off of a long stint with this stuff and were wowed by regular Dark Ivory. It's hard to say since we're all using different glass at different times all from different batches due to the hoarding effect and the length of time it takes different vendors to run out of particular batches.

Regardless, I don't think 'Curdled Ivory' is worth what people are charging for it. I bought a batch right after the Curdled Ivory fit hit the shan, and it just seemed like regular Dark Ivory to me. I don't know how people are determining whether or not their 'curdled ivory' is the 'real thing' and it just seems like a bunch of nonsense. I'll just be using and loving whatever Dark Ivory is commonly available. If it makes great SiS, I'll do more beads with SiS in them. If it sucks for that, I'll find some other way to love it and figure out some new way to add cool effects to my organics.

-
-

Last edited by MelanieG; 2012-02-13 at 9:53pm. Reason: extra words
Old 2012-02-13, 8:22pm

That's what I thought. Thanks for doing some testing research

Quote:
Originally Posted by squid View Post
No - maybe a tad steakier than regular dark ivory, but really close. I did some comparison test beads and they are really similar.

Old 2012-02-13, 8:44pm
Sheila Davis Designs

I'm glad I read this thread cuz I thought I was missing out on something!

Old 2012-02-13, 9:21pm
I'm kinda biz-EE

I have to say I have some of the 'curdled' ivory that was from the vault at Frantz (or whatever - you know, when you had to use artist's points to get the special glass) and it's never seemed that different from the regular stuff to me. I always just chalked it up to user error. These rods are bumpy as heck on the surface, not smooth like regular dark ivory.

Maybe I need to pull it back out and play with it and some silver glass.

Old 2012-02-13, 11:45pm

None of my dark ivory is smooth. The only ivory that is smooth that I have is the Vetro light ivory. Mmmm....another interesting feature that probably doesn't mean too much.

Old 2012-02-14, 12:01am

This bead, from Brad Pearson's Etsy shop I think looks EXTRA curdly...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/92929573...4-brad-pearson

Old 2012-02-14, 12:03am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by truegem View Post
This bead, from Brad Pearson's Etsy shop I think looks EXTRA curdly...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/92929573...4-brad-pearson
I agree. I love the effect there BTW with the bright flower and the skulls. The texture of the ivory is the perfect background IMHO.

Old 2012-02-14, 12:05am
Entropy increasing....

There was a period of time in there where they dk ivory didn't curdle as much. I have dk ivory that doesn't do it much and then I have some that goes like cottage cheese. This is the stuff I bought 3 years ago that really curdles. I want it to do this. lol

DSC_0025c by Kevanaponte, on Flickr
Old 2012-02-14, 12:05am
I'm kinda biz-EE

Quote:
Originally Posted by glassactcc View Post
None of my dark ivory is smooth. The only ivory that is smooth that I have is the Vetro light ivory. Mmmm....another interesting feature that probably doesn't mean too much.
Hmmm. I have some dark ivory (at least it's labeled dark ivory by whomever I purchased it from) that's smooth. Maybe I be confused. In fact, prolly I be confused. I need to order more and compare.

Old 2012-02-14, 12:07am
I'm kinda biz-EE

I love that Kevan.

Old 2012-02-14, 2:47am
Entropy increasing....

Thanks, Astrid. I have smooth and rough. The rough seems to give better curdle than the smooth.
Old 2012-02-14, 8:57am

LOL, I think you better. It's for a good cause.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alb6094 View Post
I need to order more and compare.

Old 2012-02-14, 4:05pm
Naysayer

I use dk. ivory every session, never saw any difference other than the sparks.
The ends look the same & some are rough.. some not

I think it depends on the pull, like Kevan said some curdles more but I found that to be the case in *regular dk. ivory depending on the rod since I started years ago.
On the other hand there was a batch that didn't do much at all, and I really liked it for something different lol. It didn't even do much when fine silver was used.

Only thing I know is that craze made it really hard to find dk ivory, that sucked.
Old 2012-02-14, 5:23pm
I'm a lilac!

Dark ivory always curdled, except that for a while there was a batch that was hardly curdly at all! And then a batch that curdled great came in and everyone got all excited, and it was called "curdled ivory" to distinguish it from the ivory that didn't curdle that well. At least, that's how I remember it.

Old 2012-02-15, 10:35pm
CiM Tamarind-Skinned

I am so glad I never spent the $20 - $30 that is being priced at lately in the GS. I have three different batches of Dk Ivory and a few pounds of Vetro Dk Ivory and all of it does that. I love it so much.

Incidentally, I have yet to but any Dk Ivory myself. All the Dk Ivory I currently have came from people that sold memor traded me their entire glass collections. I feel so lucky. Yay!