LE Live Chat

Enter Live Chat

No users in chat

Donate via PayPal to donate@lampworketc.com

Beads of Courage

Go Back   Lampwork Etc. > Library > Tutorials

Old 2006-01-06, 8:28pm

Default Glass Pens

Does anyone know of a tut for making those great looking pens. My DW wants me to attempt making her one.
Please help

Bob Torbett
Old 2006-01-06, 10:48pm
Super Duper

Im pretty sure you just buy a bead pen, make some beads and slip them on but I have never made one before. From what I remember people use a 1/8 mandrel dipped twice in bead release to get the right diameter. I might be wrong though so wait for someone more experienced to give their opinion.
Old 2006-01-06, 10:57pm
Evil Genius in Disguise

Here's a link you might find helpful.

I believe Arrow Springs also sells an inexpensive kit for this.

Let us know how they turn out!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 5 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Neighbors suck. Burn her house down and make beads out of her windows."--Shawnette
Old 2006-01-06, 11:28pm
Happy 10 a.m.!

I think arrow springs also has a tut on their site for making the whole pen out of glass. good luck and be sure to show us the results!

Mega Minor w/propane, tanked oxy and humor
Old 2006-01-08, 8:42am

Default Thanks

Thanks everyone for the input. I'm going give it a try and will let you see the results regardless of how bad it may look.

Bob
Old 2006-01-09, 2:53pm
~ glass whisperer ~ lol

http://www.arrowsprings.com/html/making_glass_pens.html

Making the shaft/body shape and keeping it warm can be a real challenge.

The other part that can be hard for people is the nib section -- getting it suitable for writing with. Draw the thin part of the nib out longer than you want it to be, then after it is cooled (you can even anneal your pens in a kiln, even though the Lauscha people just flame anneal theirs) use pliers to snap off the tip, then use a fine grit sandpaper to smooth and flatten the tip. This will allow the ink to be wicked off the nib onto the paper when you are writing. Good Luck and Have Fun!!!
Old 2006-02-13, 10:59am

Smile 1st Pen

Well here it is. I know it's rather simple, but it's a start. Sorry for the long delay, I had to get something setup for photographing beads. Still not very good due to camera being used. It's a Poloroid with fixed focus.
Attached Images

Glass can be a Solid, Glass can be a Liquid, But Glass should always be a GAS!

Last edited by Bob Torbett; 2006-02-13 at 11:03am.
Old 2006-02-13, 5:10pm

Cool pen Bob! I've thought about trying these off and on. Maybe someday.
Old 2006-02-14, 7:24am

Does anyone know of a tutorial for making the kind of pens out of a boro tube and then you stick an ink cartridge in it?
Old 2006-02-25, 5:54pm
Mary Lockwood

Great job Bob! I can't wait to see your future efforts.

Here is the only one I've ever made. Tink ran a challenge over at Wet Canvas(link) to stretch out and try something new.

It WAS very fun! I should make more too. Next time I'll pull my nib out thinner.

Make more Bob! We wanna see 'em!

~~Mary

Last edited by Moth; 2006-02-25 at 6:06pm.
Old 2006-02-27, 10:10pm

Hey Juliac, It is really simple, I start with 12.5 mm heavy wall you can use a blow hose assembly or just use the tube itself. I dont like to pull a point because of waste and durability. Design at will, let your creative side guide you with this. I usually just make a phatty cane and snake it over about 5" of the tube and add a few dots of various colors that are in the cane you use. I also love to fume them and use a 3 mil rod to design and when you put the insert in it sets off the fume nicely. You'll want to finish it off at about 6" cut and fire polish you will need to shrink the hole down to fit the insert. I made a little tool out of solid brass rod you can get it @ any hardware store, the size for the clear bic pen inserts is 6gauge, all I did was insert one end into a wooden dowel and round the other end with a dremel. It is really simple and so versatile. I hope this gets you headed in the right direction.
Old 2006-03-01, 11:15pm

Thanks, I'll give that a try. Do you put the design inside or outside?